Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Atlantis H1223 Mooneyes Dragster

Casey

Having worked on a number of projects for most of the major plastic kit manufactures........box art can become a big expense that 99% of buyers do not care about. I did the box art for my kits I produced year ago and worked on a few kits in recent years. The guys that do box art well AND understand the subject matter are few. And like everything the cost of having someone that is competent is way up. I think Atlantis is going a decent job considering it is a handful of folks working hard to make kits for a micro market. 

My attempt and fail at box art

MARSHALLX.jpg

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Going by the HURST logos it musta been one of the very first Nostalgia events 😜

That would explain why the digger in the other lane appears to be 2-3 years newer than the Mooneyes Dragmaster. 

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, there is a great full color cover shot and some very sharp B&W pictures/captions in a two-page feature on this MoonEyes rail dragster in the September, 1961 issue of Hot Rod magazine....TIM 

PS - in my view, the low bar for box art was the 1990's AMT-Ertl and later RC/Ertl box art....there were some terrific John Mueller & team new tool kits that included many cool features that never made it to the generic and uninformed box art...example being the mini-tubs and planked wood bed floor in the AMT-Ertl 1968 Elky kit....the lifeless box art couldn't raise your heartbeat in the least....while earlier AMT and more recent Round 2 box art does just the opposite. 

On that scale, the Mooneyes box art is not even near the bottom....just my thoughts....and I am overjoyed to see this kit (and possibly the others to follow) back on the market.  Way to go, Team Atlantis....TIM 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, there is a great full color cover shot and some very sharp B&W pictures/captions in a two-page feature on this MoonEyes rail dragster in the September, 1961 issue of Hot Rod magazine....TIM 

PS - in my view, the low bar for box art was the 1990's AMT-Ertl and later RC/Ertl box art....there were some terrific John Mueller & team new tool kits that included many cool features that never made it to the generic and uninformed box art...example being the mini-tubs and planked wood bed floor in the AMT-Ertl 1968 Elky kit....the lifeless box art couldn't raise your heartbeat in the least....while earlier AMT and more recent Round 2 box art does just the opposite. 

On that scale, the Mooneyes box art is not even near the bottom....just my thoughts....and I am overjoyed to see this kit (and possibly the others to follow) back on the market.  Way to go, Team Atlantis....TIM 

You mean the Elky street machine kit that - if AMT would have had the foresight to illuminate the built-up engine bay picture - would have had tons more builders grabbing it for parts because of the amazing EFI roots blower and serpentine accessory drive setup?

• Like 1

The HURST logo changed from round to rhombus from 1968 to 1969. Not a slam on the artist here - it's just a little amusing! I don't buy for box art.

I buy few new kits these days but i WILL buy this one because Dean Moon was a giant in the sport. I hope his family is getting consideration from this production.

1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

The HURST logo changed from round to rhombus from 1968 to 1969. Not a slam on the artist here - it's just a little amusing! I don't buy for box art.

I buy few new kits these days but i WILL buy this one because Dean Moon was a giant in the sport. I hope his family is getting consideration from this production.

They don't own the MOON trademark from what I understand. A Japanese business man bought it years ago.  The shop/store is right up the street from my SoCal buddy.

7 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Going by the HURST logos it musta been one of the very first Nostalgia events 😜

I am just amazed at the Grandstands being behind the starting line and that they go all the way to Arrow Hwy!  

Being a bit harsh on the art is not good, but come on, at least I am not complaining about the kit! 

5 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

You mean the Elky street machine kit that - if AMT would have had the foresight to illuminate the built-up engine bay picture - would have had tons more builders grabbing it for parts because of the amazing EFI roots blower and serpentine accessory drive setup?

Yep....that one. And totally agree with your comments on that engine....TIM 

So....

What's inside the box?  Does it include ALL the trees & tires that were in the original Revell Mooneyes/Sanitary T kit, minus the T frame and body?  One of the previous links alluded to the addition of the Chrysler engine that was used in the Sanitary T. True or False?

I'm looking forward to not  having to scrounge parts from the Miss Deal kit or Revell Parts Pack gluebombs in order to built a period correct dragster!

13 hours ago, Karl LaFong said:

So....

What's inside the box?  Does it include ALL the trees & tires that were in the original Revell Mooneyes/Sanitary T kit, minus the T frame and body?  One of the previous links alluded to the addition of the Chrysler engine that was used in the Sanitary T. True or False?

I'm looking forward to not  having to scrounge parts from the Miss Deal kit or Revell Parts Pack gluebombs in order to built a period correct dragster!

I'm curious about that too - would be a real parts-mine if it does include all that stuff!

On the other hand, there does seems to be a market on eBay for empty boxes, so maybe that's the way to go to cater to the box art connoiseurs.  Instead of wasting money on expensive moulds, release a line of empty boxes featuring art from leading automotive artists.  Offer a deluxe line where you toss in some plastic scrap give it the heft and sound of the total model box experience.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

On the other hand, there does seems to be a market on eBay for empty boxes, so maybe that's the way to go to cater to the box art connoiseurs.  Instead of wasting money on expensive moulds, release a line of empty boxes featuring art from leading automotive artists.  Offer a deluxe line where you toss in some plastic scrap to give it the heft and sound of the total model box experience.

A online retailer is showing 8/31 ship date for the Moon Eyes kit. It also stated that the 'Chrysler' engine is also included along with other optional parts. MSRP of $27  but $25 is the average street price I have seen. Time will tell!!!! 

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Box-art is very important to lure the casual builder into buying a product he/she doesn't really need.

For us well informed guys, the content, pedigree and expected quality of the model kit is of much more importance.

Sure, you can entice people with a nice box, but at some point they are going to open the box, and what's inside is going to determine whether they buy another one.  I'm going to suggest that Atlantis can ill afford to put new customers off of modeling.

The box art isn't going to make or break this particular kit.  Someone with no interest in early Sixties dragsters wouldn't be swayed by even the best artwork, and anyone who knows what is in the box won't be deterred by poor artwork.  It's going to sell X number of units, regardless of box art.

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

The box art isn't going to make or break this particular kit.  Someone with no interest in early Sixties dragsters wouldn't be swayed by even the best artwork, and anyone who knows what is in the box won't be deterred by poor artwork.  It's going to sell X number of units, regardless of box art.

Very true. To me it just seemed like a kit that should have cool box art to go with it.  Those who know what it is will buy it. Period. I will be getting 3 or 4, especially since it is going to have the extra hemi engine, etc. 

17 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Box-art is very important to lure the casual builder into buying a product he/she doesn't really need.

For us well informed guys, the content, pedigree and expected quality of the model kit is of much more importance.

With that comment I mean, you don't need a model kit to stay alive, for many it's an impulse buy and great box-art lowers the threshold. ;)