Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Atlantis H1223 Mooneyes Dragster

Casey

We know what is in the box, they could have just sold it in a plain brown box or plastic bag, we would still buy it. 

They made a crappy box art and we called it out, now the world is going to end! Boo hoo! 

Given todays technology, they could have done better. 

And yes, Model King proved we will buy the kits despite the bad box art! I have an original, so I am fine, I will just junk the box and re-use my original. Plus that saves space! 

Can we move on from the box art debate now? It's just going around in circles.

Now, with regards to what is in the box.

When Atlantis first started production (within the last couple years) it was stated they were holding off on automotive subjects because they had issues with producing "rubber" tires. Is this true? And if so, was it because they didn't have the (what I'm assuming is) specialized molding equipment for rubber? Or did they not have the tire molds? With the new Green elephant funny car, didn't they have to create new tire molds?

The reason I ask all this is, I'd love to have the old Revell drag tires readily available(especially since the old formula Revell used would "eat" the plastic wheels over time).  I just wonder what we're going to get for rubber in this box.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Can we move on from the box art debate now? It's just going around in circles.

Now, with regards to what is in the box.

When Atlantis first started production (within the last couple years) it was stated they were holding off on automotive subjects because they had issues with producing "rubber" tires. Is this true? And if so, was it because they didn't have the (what I'm assuming is) specialized molding equipment for rubber? Or did they not have the tire molds? With the new Green elephant funny car, didn't they have to create new tire molds?

The reason I ask all this is, I'd love to have the old Revell drag tires readily available(especially since the old formula Revell used would "eat" the plastic wheels over time).  I just wonder what we're going to get for rubber in this box.

The Revell Pie Crust Slicks I think where last issued in the Ms. Deal funny car, hopefully they use them again! Please, no two piece tires!! 

I'm pretty sure the front bar is a separate part, so by leaving it off you end up with a more garden variety Dragmaster chassis.  

The Mooneyes chassis was sold by Revell as a parts pack, if I remember right besides being molded in yellow (vs. red for the Dragmaster chassis pack) it included a small extra parts tree with that extra bar, and some other part.  I've got both packs, will check later on when I'm home.

Just checked...the front loop IS a separate part.  For the twenty cents difference ($.69 vs $.49) between the Mooneyes chassis pack and the basic Dragmaster pack, you got an additional parts tree with a seat, an X-member for the bottom of the chassis, a flat panel that went in between the body side panels (body wrapped completely around the frame), and two fuel tank mounts.  Plus, a small decal sheet with the necessary markings for the Mooneyes version.  The extra twenty cents was money well spent.

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Look at the Diff in that detail shot, Jon posted!

Wow!

To have 8" away from Da Jewels!

Those old school drivers were braver than I ever was.......

Not to split hairs, but I think that's a 9". Also, as I posted on another thread about this car, there are differences between the original and the clone. I'm pretty sure the original used a quick change diff, which is what is in the model kit.

29 minutes ago, alexis said:

I meant 8 inches Away from (or too close to) the Diff.

I saw the clone at the March Meets several years ago. Sadly I did not get pics.....

Ahh, I see! I saw it at the March Meet, too. I've got a couple of photos, but they don't show anything extraordinary. I don't think I even realized at the time that it was a re-creation.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, alexis said:

Look at the Diff in that detail shot, Jon posted!

Wow!

To have 8" away from Da Jewels!

Those old school drivers were braver than I ever was.......

A couple of drivers back then did have, let's just say, "incidents"...

On 7/10/2021 at 8:30 PM, Daddyfink said:

The Revell Pie Crust Slicks I think where last issued in the Ms. Deal funny car, hopefully they use them again! Please, no two piece tires!! 

They've been used in both the Tony Nancy Dragsters and '64 T-bolt kits, too, IIRC, but I don't believe Atlantis acquired any tire molds as part of the Revell molds acquisition.

Looking at the original Revell instruction sheet, you can see exactly which parts from each parts pack are used, where they are located on the built model, etc.:

RevellH1223MooneyesnSanT2-vi.jpg

RevellH1223MooneyesnSanT3-vi.jpg

RevellH1223MooneyesnSanT4-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2