Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Atlantis H1223 Mooneyes Dragster

Casey

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since this kit is very imminently hitting the shelves I thought I'd bump the thread.

Also, anyone out there get them in their hands yet (like industry insiders) that can confirm some of the details, like which second engine did they include, and what the new tooled tires look like?

No conjecture, just actual box contents please. 

3 hours ago, Reegs said:

I found the roadster frame in the box, too.

Wisht it was the tubular frame. Maybe in the future.

Anyway, thanks a bunch, guys.

Sooo, you have one in your hands?

What is the second engine?

You're teasing us.

EDIT- never mind, I saw your post over in the Atlantis 2021 thread. So, no second engine? I guess the two engine deal is just for the upcoming "parts pack" dragsters that aren't replicas of an actual vehicle.

So stoked to get this kit in my hands. it may be a "clear the bench" build

Edited by Mr. Metallic

I'll throw this out there.

Tim Boyd, would you be willing to do one of your patented reviews of this kit?

Would anybody be willing to help get a kit to Tim to review, if he says "Yes"?

Tim's reviews are comprehensive and come with a full helping of historical background. This kit deserves the full treatment.

I think Atlantis has a HUGE hit on their hands. I suspect that many, many modelers will be purchasing this kit in multiples, rather than singles.  There will be many scratch building and kit bashing options with the parts in this box.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

I'll throw this out there.

Tim Boyd, would you be willing to do one of your patented reviews of this kit?

Would anybody be willing to help get a kit to Tim to review, if he says "Yes"?

Tim's reviews are comprehensive and come with a full helping of historical background. This kit deserves the full treatment.

I think Atlantis has a HUGE hit on their hands. I suspect that many, many modelers will be purchasing this kit in multiples, rather than singles.  There will be many scratch building and kit bashing options with the parts in this box.

Thanks.

HI Alan.  Peter V. is going to send me a kit (I presume this is because I assisted him with a very small behind the scenes request in bringing the kit to market, and have offered him some thoughts in response to several general questions about the hobby kit market that he has directed my way).  Of course, I also intend on buying a couple when they show up at my favorite local hobby store (Model Cave in Ypsi, MI) and/or at Spotlight Hobbies and Model Roundup.  

I do have another project underway that would prevent me from doing a timely full buildup on this kit.  Having said that, it appears to me that several others on this board and elsewhere are very well equipped to do just as you suggest.  I can attempt to answer any questions that might still be unanswered after those efforts are complete. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence and thinking of my for your request, Alan.  Very, very much appreciated. 

TIM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alexis said:

Is the Front Mount Blower the only engine option on the Revell 283?

Thanks for the excellent photos, Jason.

No. The engine also includes a dual 4 barrel carburetor intake, carbs, small round air filters, standard timing cover with water pump, belt drive and fan. 

Edited by Dennis Lacy

18 hours ago, alexis said:

Thanks for responding so quickly, Tim.

I look forward to the various efforts that are happening regarding reviews of this kit.

Alan

I got the package from Atlantis last night and took a look.....they did a really nice job with this project.    Each unplated parts tree is individually sealed, chrome looks excellent (eons better than the original kit), parts appear to be in good condition and not negatively affected by the tool being out of production/in storage for....let's see.....1963 to 2021....58 years?????   The all-new drag slicks are excellent; the material they used avoids the "shiny rubber look" seen in many older kits and the width is to my eye :"just right" for an early-mid 1960's drag racing project. 

The instruction sheet is a rebop of the original Revell Double Kit (without the second car info), and the diminutive decal sheet is similar to the small sheet in the original kit.  Lots and lots...err....a bonanza of period-correct extra parts, as noted by others above. 

One minor drawback is that the outer rims of the wheels still each have the three styrene feed points aka knockout pins (as the original kits did), although these appear minimized to a good degree vs. the original kit, and probably most builders will leave them as is rather than file them flush and refinish the wheels in a non-plated form.   Also, on the engine parts tree, the width of the tubing of the headers appears a little on the narrow side; given the simple configuration of the MoonEyes dragster's real parts, more husky headers could easily be constructed from aluminum or styrene tubing for those that are bothered.  And as noted above, the tranny would not be seen in a real rail dragster application - again easily remedied by a reasonably complete parts box substitute.  

In all....I think it's an excellent effort from Atlantis and a very promising lead-in for the other kits that will follow as noted in the various posts from the IPMS nationals a couple of months ago....and it becomes an invaluable source of period-correct parts for anyone who is building/kitbashing a 1960's style drag racing project or traditional hot rod themed model....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We got our first supply of the Mooneyes kits in at my shop this week and they have been leaving the door quite promptly. A regular of ours in particular was super excited by the sheer amount of suspension parts in the kit and everyone is pleased by the sub-$30 price tag. We can't wait for the Topolino.