Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Atlantis H1223 Mooneyes Dragster

Casey

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Also, there are examples of the 1:1 car without Revell logos, so what they provided is still accurate, while not promoting another manufacturer is a bonus 😋image.png.496ea56e4cd0de0747c35f05241bd34e.png

I volunteer to put decal on her chest. 😎

Edited by keyser
  • Like 1

Got my 2 kits today. Wonderful stuff! I have no interest in building the Mooneyes car per se (not a fan of the front-mounted blower) but I'll look at the George Klass site for inspiration and either model another car or do my own period-correct generic version. The kit is a vintage parts mine! And it looks like there might even be most of a roadster frame in there, too! Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

• Like 2

The Atlantis Mooneyes dragster kit does include a near-complete roadster frame pack.  The only part from that tree that is used in building the dragster is a push bar, which was altered to create a wishbone radius rod for the dragster.  Scratch another push bar (the tow bar might work) or build a "street" chassis that needs no push bar.

The leftover chassis equipment parts on the other tree will fall right in place.  Among the leftovers will be the wider rear axle with cross spring, dropped front axle with cross spring, radius rods (including hairpins for the front), shock absorbers, steering box, and so on.  I didn't buy duplicates of this kit because all of the other parts pack based kits will include that speed equipment pack with two sets of everything, and the dragsters will always use the narrow rear axle.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Got my 2 kits today. Wonderful stuff! I have no interest in building the Mooneyes car per se (not a fan of the front-mounted blower) but I'll look at the George Klass site for inspiration and either model another car or do my own period-correct generic version. The kit is a vintage parts mine! And it looks like there might even be most of a roadster frame in there, too! Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

You could do a diorama of Mooneyes racing Pete Robinson at 1961 NHRA Nationals 😃0EFA613A-8483-4F87-9F30-906C36422304.jpeg.3e1591c3dd9d1b0a41418b633a6ceef8.jpeg

64D1AFCD-9E30-4259-8F62-28D9E6D012E2.jpeg

BE9CCA2C-2F4A-4C91-AFFB-38F22016E3B6.jpeg

• Like 2

Just went through the George Klass site looking for Dragmasters. Downloaded around 30 pics of them, so I've got plenty of inspiration. 

Here's one of my favorites. Not yet settled on an engine. Might go with the kit's basic engine but switch to a top-mounted 6-71. Or might go to one of the AMT Parts Pack engines, maybe the Hemi or the Pontiac.  Also gotta come up with a color. Yellow smells like Mooneyes, red smells like Robinson, blue smells like Mickey Thompson, so I'm thinking about orange or green, or white or black. 

006_75_orig.jpg.3fa38e641060bbe1c8dd75a4a4728c7e.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reegs said:

Now all we have to do is sit back and wait for Atlantis to clean up the tool for the Hawaiian FED that Revell was going to release in late '65 but didn't because of licensing issues.

Oh wait, that happened in an alternate universe ...

Hah....good one!!!! 

BTW there were plans for other drag racing kits, including 1/25th scale Revell and 1/16th scale Aurora kits, that were in various stages of development but never saw actual production.  There's a (what I believe to be) complete list of them in my 2020 book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits" (CarTech Publishing).   TB 

18 minutes ago, hpiguy said:

What size engine does this Mooneyes kit represent?  A 427?

(We all know I'm no expert on spotting an engine unless it's super obvious like a Hemi)

A small block chevy.....probably a 283 or 327 to start with.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that those front tires would typically have some sort of grooves in - I think they were just using skinny motorcycle tires in this period, right? 

It's a small nitpick, and tires are available that have a tread pattern - I was more curious about it than anything.

Those rear piecrust slicks are GORGEOUS though, and I love whatever material Atlantis has used to mold these - it has a gorgeous satin-y look to it

• 2 weeks later...