Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebbro 1972 Citroen DS 21 Pallas [1/24]


e30lover
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I finally finished Ebbro 1/24 DS21 Pallas - it’s a fairly new release from Ebbro and it’s a fantastically engineered kit with working doors and full engine and suspension details. 

I built this one completely box straight - DS was available with many beautiful colours but I thought DS21’s Brun Scarabée is pretty iconic, so I laid Mr Color’s GX109 clear brown on top of chrome silver to simulate that. 

As for the interior, I used mix of Tamiya acrylic red, yellow, brown and tan to simulate brown interior and carpet, then laid semi-gloss clear on top of all leather trims to get the similar sheen. As for the rest of interior details, I used BMF and Molotow chrome marker. As for the body;

Removing sink marks with 600 > 1500 grit 
Tamiya grey surfacer
Mr color’s chrome silver
2 layers of gx109 clear brown
3 layers of Mr color’s super clear III with 3000 grit sponge before the final coat
drying the paint for 1 month in room temperature
3000 grit sponge > Tamiya compounds
Applying BMF matte aluminum to C pillar

Even though the overall quality of kit is very impressive (after all Ebbro has very close tie to Tamiya), there were a few pitfalls such as chrome trims that go around the roof, incorrect looking wheel caps, and headlamp cover that doesn’t have vertical hairlines. 

Hope you guys enjoy!

ds1.jpg.8e9764a234cbe43291b0d431db35684e.jpgds2.jpg.18da9734968f531a40eb6f2a1054529f.jpgDSCF2975-2.jpg.95bf4072194d98dbbe2bdfa68522dee7.jpgDSCF2976-2.jpg.3751b73cc556131a713c40ee878893d0.jpgDSCF2977-2.jpg.322c9b317bf647c2121faf1969b5af69.jpgDSCF2983-2.jpg.11ff840407d838b14f3be1921d219dde.jpg937371301_DSCF2959copy-2.jpg.953c1b34d4afb53299120cac55355ce1.jpgDSCF2965-2.jpg.e3f2185d108b20d02e3e06c0537ebcd3.jpgDSCF2962-2.jpg.8183705fd084a93a7262b90c69316c3f.jpgDSCF2971-2.jpg.fbfa07009d9226a3088fdd35df301743.jpgDSCF2958-2.jpg.11955692b54f580416460e48295a476b.jpgDSCF2957-2.jpg.3c50ddbd9f1125529d6f073dea8b146d.jpgDSCF2992-2.jpg.8f377fd5bf4035148707400cf61469bf.jpgDSCF2995-2.jpg.53432381b4878f047cc11c3366251a99.jpgDSCF2988-2.jpg.d993f53cc4b3d0067313cf873de26946.jpgDSCF2990-2.jpg.c591ae50ed15db3c626f3de0a067c466.jpgDSCF3041-2.jpg.67c3fc67f564e4b128808c7fb6a0f5bc.jpgDSCF3042-2.jpg.e0d83ba1a5a36dd0eb07c4e27a456756.jpgDSCF3029-2.jpg.d6d25152dbc6dc7df072dde25a4e0038.jpgDSCF3031-2.jpg.6b57b29f3f4570daf05ba7dcd7378813.jpgDSCF3034-2.jpg.73adc5defe624af0a0834c2caa8d309e.jpgDSCF3040-2.jpg.8b24b77624daf4ef652085017846a0f0.jpgDSCF3035-2.jpg.2df4e4a2b3dd043d55411713adf6e8c3.jpgDSCF3049-2.jpg.9fbfc90ebce04efb29faa9a059411528.jpgDSCF3061-2.jpg.83a6ca26e0f48a58def818f67f2af814.jpgDSCF3051-2.jpg.a66acec72e281843f9058ce431fa339a.jpgDSCF3050-2.jpg.0a394671e32ed813da69a2c3c50c670e.jpg

DSCF2996-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Your paint job is absolutely fantastic , details are very awesome and i really like the color . Great work !!! 👍👍👍

Edited by grodudulle77
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's truly wonderful Chang, you must be very proud of it.

I could never contemplate owning one, but it's always a treat to see a 1:1 DS in the metal. They're one of the few older cars that my wife likes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an excellent build of yours, Chang....... I particularly like the technique that you have use for the paint finish on the body exterior. Clear Brown over Chrome Silver, that really works. Also, this is a very nice kit from Ebbro, and I have thought about purchasing one of these before, but they are rather expensive here in England. Your attention to detail is very accurate, and you have produced a top quality result. This model car looks highly realistic and you should be very proud of this build.

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful work!  I certainly will get one of these when the opportunity arises!

Back when I was a kid, 1970-3 era, we were in Paris and rode in these as Taxis. I was very impressed with the single bar steering wheel. It’s a Citroen thing and I had never seen that before.  I think I’d build mine as a Paris Taxi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely beautiful with an astonishing paint job! Your work is very, very clean. It’s funny.. this is one of those cars I’ve always found to be a very odd looking duck, but I have to admit that there is something appealing about the subtleness of its curves and lines... I like it! Great work and photography too👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing short of a fantastic build, Chang! Excellent in every department. I have this kit aswell and your model pretty much shows the max that can be done with it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, Can-Con said:

Beautiful, love the paint. 

Is this a diecast kit or plastic?

Thanks! It's a plastic kit. 

On 7/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, 64Comet404 said:

It's a plastic kit, beautiful detail. Ebbro does both this DS21 and the earlier DS19, so there are choices out there.

Yes. One day I'll build DS19 as well! 

On 7/3/2021 at 5:16 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Super model, fantastic paint - and great photos !

Thank you!

On 7/3/2021 at 5:23 PM, Classicgas said:

Absolutely stunning.  Those kits are works of art. What's the pricing on it and where can one get them.  Beautiful work. 

It's relatively expensive but available on most of Japanese hobby sites. I got mine from Plaza Japan.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, TransAmMike said:

Beeee-utiful job on the paint. Great looking job overall👍

Thank you! 

On 7/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, bbowser said:

Outstanding paint and beautiful photography!

Thanks a lot! 

On 7/3/2021 at 11:21 PM, Kah puts said:

That's a absolute jewel, put that front and center in the display case. 

It's definitely one of the better ones I've built!

On 7/4/2021 at 12:41 AM, grodudulle77 said:

Your paint job is absolutely fantastic , details are very awesome and i really like the color . Great work !!! 👍👍👍

Thank you! I couldn't think of better colour to mimic. It's more brownish than real paint code in natural light.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:58 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

That's truly wonderful Chang, you must be very proud of it.

I could never contemplate owning one, but it's always a treat to see a 1:1 DS in the metal. They're one of the few older cars that my wife likes.

Thanks! I agree - it wouldn't be my go to choice to own one, but I love seeing one!

On 7/4/2021 at 2:58 AM, Dave B said:

Another flawless build Baek, I love your choice of interesting models.

Dave B

Thank you! I love all things 70s and 80s. 

On 7/4/2021 at 6:28 AM, Anglia105E said:

This is an excellent build of yours, Chang....... I particularly like the technique that you have use for the paint finish on the body exterior. Clear Brown over Chrome Silver, that really works. Also, this is a very nice kit from Ebbro, and I have thought about purchasing one of these before, but they are rather expensive here in England. Your attention to detail is very accurate, and you have produced a top quality result. This model car looks highly realistic and you should be very proud of this build.

David

It's pretty expensive but worth every penny IMO. I love layering clear coloured paint over silver or other colours even though it can be finicky. Thank you!

On 7/4/2021 at 6:41 AM, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thanks!

On 7/4/2021 at 6:59 AM, David G. said:

Paint, fit, finish and detail, everything is spot-on.

Absolutely beautiful!

David G.

Thank you!

On 7/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

I have one of these kits and this is definetly inspiration to build mine.  Thank you for explaining your color choice and how you did it. 

Thanks. For older colours that doesn't have much metalic flakes, or when mimicking vivid colours, "overcoating(clear colour on top of silver)" technique comes handy. 

On 7/4/2021 at 10:02 AM, jokar124 said:

That's exceptional! Fantastic job!

Thank you! 

On 7/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Beautiful work!  I certainly will get one of these when the opportunity arises!

Back when I was a kid, 1970-3 era, we were in Paris and rode in these as Taxis. I was very impressed with the single bar steering wheel. It’s a Citroen thing and I had never seen that before.  I think I’d build mine as a Paris Taxi.

It must be a wild scene visiting Paris in 70s! Thank you and I highly recommend this kit! 

23 hours ago, peteski said:

Another gorgeous cleanly-built model from Chang!  And as usual, great photos. Awesome!  I have one of those kits to be built some day.

Thanks a lot!

21 hours ago, Venom said:

Absolutely beautiful with an astonishing paint job! Your work is very, very clean. It’s funny.. this is one of those cars I’ve always found to be a very odd looking duck, but I have to admit that there is something appealing about the subtleness of its curves and lines... I like it! Great work and photography too👍

It was way ahead of its time with very cool technologies - directional headlamps, fiberglass roof for better weight transfer, self levelling suspension, power steering and brake, inboard disk brakes.. all in a passenger car engineered in 50s!

11 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Nothing short of a fantastic build, Chang! Excellent in every department. I have this kit aswell and your model pretty much shows the max that can be done with it!

Appreciate the compliment! However my build is far from the potential this kit has - check out this video: 

 

11 hours ago, Dominik said:

mindblowing paintjob. wow!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

This looks so lovely and ready to just motor off to the nearest café. 

I'd love to do that - the weather is perfect too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The model in that video is amazing!  I wonder what he uses for chrome foil? It sure does not look like BMF.  And it seems to conform to complex curves (like the taillights).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another breathtaking build from you Chang, great detail, excellent color choice and the paint looks absolutely sensationel!!

That guy in the video really walked the extra mile in terms of detail, incredible work!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...