Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Ford Skyliner

ModelcarJR

I've had this kit for about 30 years.  I've already been reticent to start it since the body has to be assembled.  A few years ago,  I saw a WIP where the modeler decided to tape down the side to a mirror in order to keep everything level and square. So I have taken that Idea and instead of a mirror I am using a piece of board that I think once was a drawer bottom in an old desk. I drew a rectangle on it that is the size of the model about 7 3/4" long and 2 7/8" wide. Then I taped each side down on its line and then cemented the front section with hood and the rear taillight section in place. Everything lined up well and I held the each section in place until the super glue held. Not sure I'm going to use all the moving parts yet. I rather have a nice model then a Transformer that doesn't work. But first I have to get everything painted and that will be a few days as it is raining now and is suppose to rain a few more days. Here are a few pics:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments!

I made a little progress in that I have everything in primer before it started raining today. before that, I had sanded off the partial trim piece on the hood/fender top that glues onto the body sides.  I didn't want a bad glue joint with a slit down the side where chrome trim should be. So a sanded everything down after I glued the sides on and then added  0.020" rod on both sides.  I think it will work well and be easy to apply the foil to. 

I also removed the distributor from the engine and drilled holes for the spark plug wires before I painted the engine block and heads and intake piece. I'll add a pre-wired distributor.  I painted it gunmetal so I can do some detailing with silver and black with a brush. Finally, I Painted the seats white so I can tape off the white square for the tri-colored seat pattern.  

I think I'll going with Coral Blue as a substitute for Indian Turquoise and white both inside and out with a third color true blue for the interior. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance  

Edited by ModelcarJR
Make correction

Thanks for the pictures, Ed!

I have one seat painted to see what it will look like. The first picture is just after pulling tape. The second is after touch up with a brush. I'll rub it out a bit and dullcote it a little after the paint dries. I also continued to have problems with the right side glue joint at the back because there is no pin and receiving hole there. So I had to drill a hole and use a part of a straight pin to pin it.  Now I also applied some putty and have eliminated the joint. I still have a little work to do on both sides. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Hi John,

I too am building this car over the last two weeks, after hiding in it's box for at least twenty years.  My front section ahd a massive twist in it which hot water would not remove so I persevered and will be using the chassis to align everything during final construction.

If I can give you a couple of heads ups before you get into paint. The hood hinges are a very tight fit so I scalloped out the outside edge of the hinge mount to thin the thickness and it worked fine.  Also, watch the fit of the deck into the body at the  rear edge.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan! I keep those two areas in mind as I progress. 

Right now, I am trying to figure out the interior colors.  I tried Dark Blue with the Coral Blue and that didn't work. In this photo I have Global Blue which is more of a medium  blue and I don't think that works either. I think I'll repaint with white and just go white, coral blue and black. Any suggestions? Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

I'm doing the red black and white as per stock and will be doing the same on the door panels.  I would definitely be using the seat colours on the doors if I was you.

Wasn't that fun masking up the seats.  Unfortunately I didn't realise that the white strip went all the way around the panel so I might be re-doing mine - your layout definitely looks better than my efforts!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan!  Yes, I am going back to the the seat colors, substituting aluminum for the white. Tri-colored seats are always a challenge and even more of a challenge with tape bleeds. By the way, I noticed that there is no rear seat back but there are a couple of nubs on the back of the seat. I was wondering if you know whether those are props for the package shelf to hold it up in the convertible configuration? I think if that's the case, I am going to put a back on it and drill a couple of holes for pins to hold up the package shelf.  Thanks for your suggestions! 

I built one of those 59 Skyliners about 30 years ago, in preparation for this 57 conversion. The package shelf for the top down mode is held up on either side by a little ledge on the body side panels. So no pins necessary. I'm not sure if I would fill in the seat back either, as the clearance between the seat, and the roof as it comes down is somewhat limited. I can tell you that the retractable roof mechanism works quite well. I actually ended up doing a second conversion (the red one) for my local hobby shop owner. 

image.png.d32f91f9dd7f111df6a78f613c0cbc2b.png

image.png.6d3b658759f9de8d11c4ac2ff10fd387.png

• Like 1

You have your seat colors correct. The interior side panels should be black where you have the Global blue. The armrests should be black.  Here are shots of the interior in my '59 Sunliner model. Where this interior is dark blue, would be black in your model, substitute Coral Blue (Indian Turquoise) for the light metallic blue here.  The door top moldings that I foiled would be Coral Blue painted metal in your replica stock build. The large panel that surrounds the door handle should be foil or bright silver, along with the molding with the holes in it at the bottom of the door.

Hope this helps a little. Your build is great so far!  I built one Skyliner years ago for a friend – the kit is definitely a challenge!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by John Goschke

Thanks, David,  Dave and John! I appreciate your suggestions! Yes, I am re-doing the interior but I am stymied at this point as it rained all day yesterday and is raining again today. Dave, I would be interested in knowing about the 57 conversion. How much of the 59 is in the 57. Is it only the trunk lid and top or did you have to do more than that? Thanks all for the inspiration! 😎

I would be interested in the 57 sky liner conversion as well. My late brother was drag racing one in the mid 60's with a Paxton supper charger and cheater slicks on chrome reverse steel wheels. It was his daily driver and I would love to make a replica.

I'm starting from scratch on the door panels and did a little bit of chrome paint from a Molotow pen brushed on the dash. I have some decals from Best Model Co. for the radio, clock, and speedo cluster coming. I think they are glue on paper images but should work. I have used them before on another kit. I'll also get the doors re-painted as soon as I can along with the body and other pieces. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

Thanks, Carl! I appreciate your comment! 

I was able to paint a bit so I have the back seat and door panels done. I was trying to substitute something other than black previously, but black works out well! I think this will be a reasonably good looking tri-colored interior! Thanks for looking! 

enhance