Model Cars Magazine Forum

is there a paint brand that is as good as tamiya in spray cans

i dont want to say its impossible to screw up a tamiya spray job because i did it twice yesterday alone. however, its quite difficult to run it or get uneven paint jobs with it. it dries in a very short time and i routinely go from bare plastic to gloss coat in a day or less. however,  i am pretty tired of the tamiya colors available. they dont have a lot of the colors im looking for.  i prefer to use a spray paint because i enjoy it the most.

is there a brand that is as good as tamiya as far as how easy it is to use and get great paint jobs. i have tried some of the spray paints that you can get from walmart, and although they have a good selection of colors, its quite easy to run it if you are not careful, and it doesnt seem to lay as flat as tamiya. 

i know many people will say airbrush, and i have one. however, i really prefer to use spray cans

Years ago, I used MCW paints in a spray can and it came out OK.

Generally, I don't like spray cans as I can't control how much paint is going to come out at any given time, nor control how much propellant is in said can.

It's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to use even Tamiya sprays for bodies. Of the couple times I used them, there was waaaay too much propellant in the can, which showed up as tiny bubbles on the paint surface. I'd much rather decant the sprays, let them "gas out" and airbrush them on. Another minus IMO about Tamiya's is while they can spray nicely and can put down a decent finish, I'm one that likes to rub out and polish out a paint job when fully dried. I noticed that their paints are a bit too "soft" and wear away much too quickly for my tastes which for me is yet another strike.

As far as airbrushing paints, it's just MUCH better control for me with no surprises.

You could try DupliColor Perfect Match paints...... I really like them because the spray nozzle gives you a "fan" pattern as opposed to the conical spray of Tamiya. They're easy to get good results with also. Their only drawback is their colors are limited to what you would see on autos today.

Miles, I don't know where you get your Tamiya, but if you are buying them from a LHS that has the "small" rack you should look at Tamiya's website. There may be a lot of colors you aren't aware of. Also, they have some interesting military colors that look good on cars and trucks if you follow up with TS-13.

Duplicolor is nice too. As T.J. said, you are limited to 1:1 colors that have been used in the last 7-10 years or so. Make sure you use primer under Duplicolor.

I hear you about the airbrush. I get very little bench time as it is and I would get even less done if I had to clean my airbrush as well. Oh well, maybe when I am retired.

11 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Miles, I don't know where you get your Tamiya, but if you are buying them from a LHS that has the "small" rack you should look at Tamiya's website. There may be a lot of colors you aren't aware of. Also, they have some interesting military colors that look good on cars and trucks if you follow up with TS-13.

Duplicolor is nice too. As T.J. said, you are limited to 1:1 colors that have been used in the last 7-10 years or so. Make sure you use primer under Duplicolor.

I hear you about the airbrush. I get very little bench time as it is and I would get even less done if I had to clean my airbrush as well. Oh well, maybe when I am retired.

i typically just get it from amazon or scalehobbyist. the closest hobby store near me that has tamiya is now 1 hour away. i actually just painted one of my models a tamiya green grey airplane paint. it looks pretty good. 

i will take a look at the paint chart of military to see what they have. 

10 hours ago, youpey said:

is there a brand that is as good as tamiya as far as how easy it is to use and get great paint jobs.

Miles,  if there was such a thing, don't you think that lots of Modelers would be using it already (and loudly touting that paint on this forum)?

Miles, find and download the color charts for Tamiya TS paints. There's 94 colors. Also, do the AS colors. There's 32 colors in that line. They're flat military colors. But, they can be polished or cleared coated to get a good shine. Sometime, I want to see if the PS line of paints will work over styrene with Tamiya primer over it. That'll open up a several more choices.    

6 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Miles, find and download the color charts for Tamiya TS paints. There's 94 colors. Also, do the AS colors. There's 32 colors in that line. They're flat military colors. But, they can be polished or cleared coated to get a good shine. Sometime, I want to see if the PS line of paints will work over styrene with Tamiya primer over it. That'll open up a several more choices.    

HI!

To Roger's point about Tamya's PS series... Try as I may, with all sorts of precautions, I never got a smooth laying uniform coat, Always "eating" into the subcoats, be they Tamya's or 1/1 automotive products. I suppose their "etching" chemistry is the reason. Too bad, since the color selection would be interesting. 

I would stay away from them, unless for their specified use (polycarbonate bodies). 

CT

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

To Roger's point about Tamya's PS series... Try as I may, with all sorts of precautions, I never got a smooth laying uniform coat, Always "eating" into the subcoats, be they Tamya's or 1/1 automotive products. I suppose their "etching" chemistry is the reason. Too bad, since the color selection would be interesting. 

I would stay away from them, unless for their specified use (polycarbonate bodies). 

CT

Thanx for that info Claude! I wouldn't have thought it would affect the primer also. 

The new Revell spray colors had a color (flat light grey) that was about what I wanted for an interior, so I gave it a try.

The paint can has a lot of pressure in it, and it gushes out. That's the down side. The upside is that because of the gushing, it covers very well, and out-gasses and thins out quickly. It dried pretty quickly 25-30 minutes), and in a nice, thin coat. Two coats, and I was done.

I've also found the Humbrol spray lacquers are pretty nice, and you get a bit more for the money than you do with either the Tamiya or Revell paints.

Charlie Larkin

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

CT

PS Tamiya paint is like a rubberised strange paint designed to flex when applied to RC body’s. Which I believe are painted on the inside so getting a smooth surface isn’t as important as being able to flex and move. 

don’t use the PS line of paints IMO 

Edited by Sandboarder

i tried a ps paint on one of my models because i ordered the wrong thing accidentally. it was smoke color i use to tint rims.

however, it doesnt really stick to the rims well, if i rub on it a bit, or use tape on it, it will pull off the smoke color completely. i have never seen anything like it. 

4 hours ago, youpey said:

i tried a ps paint on one of my models because i ordered the wrong thing accidentally. it was smoke color i use to tint rims.

however, it doesnt really stick to the rims well, if i rub on it a bit, or use tape on it, it will pull off the smoke color completely. i have never seen anything like it. 

trabbieonwheels-vi.jpg.d163c9e2e0c0d50e08cbedfee23a3b98.jpg

It's a funny thing... this Trabbie is that one of those Tamiya PS paints.  I did it over either Tamiya or Duplicolor gray primer and had no issues. The overgloss is Tamiya gloss on top of that.

Same paint on bare white shiny kit plastic and it didn't adhere.  It literally peeled off.

I used to have good luck with the Pactra RC colors.  They dried tight and flat to the body, like a semi gloss,  needed a clear over them.