Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMW 328 Endurance racer.

Can't think of a better way to spend a holiday than finishing a model.  This looked like a easy challenge to finish quickly. That...is pretty much your first mistake when approaching any kit. Getting the upper body to stay down on the fenders was the biggest hurdle. Some super glue, regular liquid glue, some creative claming and over night setting solved the problem. The over all fit and finish of this kit was marginal at best.  I understand from a frined that this is a re-issue of an earlier mold and they add some things to things one.  Despite  the problems it did go together in a fairly short amount of time. It was painted at an earlier date and that helped. Color is Tamiya TS67 Racing white.  There are captions under the pictures for extra info. Thanks for looking. 

DSC07293.JPG.31092617ec1bfbc6bb35bafea42dfdaf.JPG

Lots of tricky bare metal foil work. Chrome and aluminium were used.  Didn't have to make the wheels steer this time....thank the maker !!

DSC07294.JPG.0e42c5eda3c04207e1b21cf925086c9c.JPG

Those tiny lights were a real bugger to get right. Windshield was no piece of cake either. 

DSC07295.JPG.1e8a2f6b3d71e2c10c7035e49618c9d9.JPG

The tonneau cover was an addition to this kit I am told, 

DSC07296.JPG.7a98250857eefc67b27c4513a702ce07.JPG

Not much in the way of engine except for detail painting. 

DSC07297.JPG.cddb1cd536e3e69c806b578d2bcc8751.JPG

Seats were sprayed a Tamiya flat brown and waxed to simulate leather. Dash decal was the nicest part of this kit. 

13 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Truly a classy classic! Well done!

Thank you, a classic kit as well since it was a re-issue. 

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

Good looking model . I am finding it getting harder to handle the small pieces and am thinking i will soon be switching to 1/16 and perhaps larger kits.

Thank you Ray.....I have about 50 1/12 kits in my collection if you want to build some...<G>  Seriously....I have been waiting many years for a 427 Cobra in 1/12 scale. I think there is one in resin but its wickedly expensive but I was hoping Tamiya or Trumpeter would do one in plastic.  Can't see why one hasn't been done with the popularity of this car. 

10 hours ago, bbowser said:

Looks great!  Those Heller kits are definitely a challenge, you did very well.

Thank you Bruce, I didn't think so when I started that kit. I have built a few Heller kits, you would have thought I would have known. 

7 hours ago, Venom said:

Nice one Rich... it’s cool to see these uncommon race car builds.

Thank you Josh.

1 hour ago, afx said:

Nice work.

Thanks JC

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Very well done indeed.  The BMF beading is impressive.

Gary...that BMF took a special technique since it didn't want to stick in that small of an area. I had to lay down a very thin  line of sticky varnish first then carefully lay in a thin strip of BMF. Even more care to cut it. It took several tries in a couple of spots. 

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

Yes, your foil work is excellent. The entire model turned out real nice.

Thanks Tony, see my other quote to Gary. That's how I did it.

15 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice build of this old Heller kit, Rich - I know that they are not easy to put together (I've done a few in the past)

Thank you Helmut.....but...it looked so easy when it was in the box.