Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Chevy "The Original"

disconovaman

23 minutes ago, olddude55 said:

Built them all back in the day

I built all those opening door cars back in the day too. I agree the 56 seemed to be the best functioning of the Tri-5 series. I would like to try my hand at an fresh original 56 now. I haven't built any of those in years... this build up is the first one I've seen since the late 80s. I heard the Revell tools for the 57 hardtop have made its way to Atlantis. They are expected to announce it as an upcoming release. I hope the doors stay on with their's. I never had any luck with those hinge boxes with that kit.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 10:36 AM, disconovaman said:

I heard the Revell tools for the 57 hardtop have made its way to Atlantis. They are expected to announce it as an upcoming release. I hope the doors stay on with their's. I never had any luck with those hinge boxes with that kit.

The tooling for not only the 57 Chevy made it's way to Atlantis but the tooling for the 57 Nomad as well. Both are listed in the company's 2021 brochure that I saw on it's website.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:41 AM, John M. said:

made it's way to Atlantis

I'm excited to see these kits return to production. I know it's been a few years since the Belair was released but the Nomad hasn't been out since maybe the late 80's early 90's?  (that I can recall) Maybe the 56 Chevy tooling will turn up some day?

I built the Nomad two times, both times leaving the cars unpainted (except for the details) I'm anxious to try my hand at the car upon its return to production. I can't wait to see what this generation feels about building these kits also. it will be cool to see some examples as well.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

222026-11298-94-pristine.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, disconovaman said:

Thanks guys. I sure hope I don't break any hearts 💔💔💔 with this rebuild. I'm not into erasing history but I'm not into displaying old build ups either. So the best thing for me to do, if I own it is to make it mine. I promise it will be fabulous!

Done. I'm with snake. 

I'm hunting this old Revell kit (only the stock version) since years and I never saw one offered in Germany or Europe. They are that rear even in the US and if one unbuilt(!) Kit is offered, the shipping cost are out of the world - not the price of the kit. They are human. 

I would be so happy to find a built one, if I get no kit. This 56 will close the gap between the 55 and 57 I have built.

As I searched for the 57 bel air, I found one built in the same condition as your 56 - and I let it as it is. Didn't layer my hands on. And I love this very old piece of modeling in my collection. Therefore, i get a newer kit and build that.

Just my looooong story. Man, i love those old kits with all opening doors.

But it is your choice. I'm looking forward, how it comes together again.

Btw, my old 57s wheels are in good shape. No reaction from rubber and plastic 

6 hours ago, Dominik said:

But it is your choice. I'm looking forward, how it comes together again.

Thanks, Cool story, do you have pictures of the 57? I'm gonna buy the new release whenever it's available.

Here are some in progress photos of the 56 currently, I'm gonna finish it up soon I hope.

20210731_203727.jpg

20210731_203735.jpg

9 hours ago, Dominik said:

Hmmm...im not really a fan of the Gassers.

Gassers are big in my area... and our local dragstrip holds special Gasser events, entrys must have a straight axle... I guess I'm more into nostalgic racing because of it's grass roots style. To me It's heads up, Beat the best to be the best, old school, raw drag racing. Seeing real "Up and Over" cars on the street is exciting, not something you see every day.

9 hours ago, Dominik said:

Here are two pictures from my untouched 57. 

That 57 is ready to be placed into a diorama and I agree it needs a barn...

2 hours ago, chris chabre said:

did it look good on the cragars and slicks with the weathered body

Yeah, I do think those pics after the clean up did look cool... I'm working on another car with the same colors and light weathering. I'm gonna use those wheels on it too. I'm glad I have the photos at least for now. 

On 8/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, disconovaman said:

I was scrolling my photos this morning and I had totally forgotten that I took photos of the club meet when I got the 56 so I'm posting here just to show all the kits that we had to choose from... some of these came home with me also...

20210626_131639.jpg

20210626_131642.jpg

20210626_131555.jpg

20210626_165307.jpg

20210626_131505.jpg

Nice score. Models cars that are dust covered are like scaled down barn finds and are the coolest.