Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moonshine Number Two

SawgrassRaven

Sorry folks, I somehow screwed up my original thread on this so I'll give it anther go.

Moonshine 2 has begun! I bought a Mason of Hanging Dog moonshine as the beverage of choice for this build (I enjoyed Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon on the first diorama), and there will definitely be frustrating moments as we go that will require nice, icy cold 'shine lemonade breaks. So far I've got 7 pages of idea plans but not all will make it to the finished model.

I plan to build this in 4 main pieces: backdrop, side, base (with still), and car. Each one a separate small scene in itself. Then, if I've planned it right, it will all seamlessly join together. The backdrop and side will be built into the case itself rather than a stand-alone structure like I did on M1. This also frees up a lot of space in the case!

This is Moonshine Number One. My plan was to build a shine operation different than this one in many respects.

BMrYWiq.jpeg.7c1fb7bae6a38856dc726bf94bb8c8b8.jpeg

The beginning pile.

1.thumb.jpg.f551af1ac370138c322ac6a3affb789e.jpg

4.jpg.dc88f5562e4030527dda0d3476b9d620.jpg

We have the beginnings of walls!

3.jpg.44201667916f47e03f345085287a2ec8.jpg

We have a base now after a couple hours of the messiest material to work with, a vacuum, and the shriek of squeaking styrofoam. (The cloth is just for a color difference so I can see it). This build will slow a bit now as I await some goodies from an excellent model railroad business in Canada.

5.thumb.jpg.6d113683b45fca61248f8ee048ff2d81.jpg

7.jpg.a7db7706d54552d1c97a4e2735b02475.jpg

Well, that's it. The backdrop is now sealed up. I left a time capsule note in the wall in the hope that someone, someday, may find it somehow and think of the person in the past who built this. 🙂

6.jpg.3accf7945e480f94b248e4c1793f51ad.jpg

The attempt of creation of a new idea I learned about a few months ago: convincing liminal space.

"The word “liminal” comes from the Latin root, limen, which means “threshold.” The liminal space is the “crossing over” space – a space where you have left something behind, yet you are not yet fully in something else."

Edited by SawgrassRaven

Just stains, acrylic washes and some chalk dry brushing. We now have our house's siding, all the way to the right rear water damage. I was going to do paint chipping instead, but this seemed more realistic for the era I'm going after. I'll do chipped paint on the next one.

21.jpg.ec626a57caf599d496b1aa73c243e14d.jpg

22.jpg.da642a8cd9c5cd1e6b940c4d8a60544f.jpg

24.jpg.f2e25224ccd3f54d24f2e5bd18390619.jpg

25.jpg.5d8ce04fcce5e7cc4bb0fd8a54f5b67a.jpg

29.jpg.720eefcfa6adc308dff3faa7f595f31e.jpg

Salt weathering works so good for this effect.

Edited by SawgrassRaven

This is a fascinating project, Jason...... I shall follow this one, for sure.

I like your detailed plan drawings and preparation. Also, I like the display cases aspect of these dioramas. Several of my previous scale model dioramas have been quite large, but the one that I am currently working on is only 20 " x 15", so this might fit inside a similar case.

David

I am thoroughly enjoying your attention to detail, Jason, it is a real education.  Your first diorama was pretty special and I can see this one exceeding your first effort.  We see a lot of old buildings with what we called weatherboards in the country areas of Australia so your photos showing how to recreate this look are going to be very educational for me.

Very, very cool!

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

I am thoroughly enjoying your attention to detail, Jason, it is a real education.  Your first diorama was pretty special and I can see this one exceeding your first effort.  We see a lot of old buildings with what we called weatherboards in the country areas of Australia so your photos showing how to recreate this look are going to be very educational for me.

Very, very cool!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan!

#2 is looking great and I am sure it will be every bit as nice as #1. I really like how a diorama tells a story. I used to like building a diorama more than the models I put in them. However space became a issue and it's been awhile since I did one. You have me thinking again I must say.

Thanks for all the complements, folks!

Just finishing up the rotted wood water damage and some still plumbing. Unfortunately, I lost almost all the interior wall wiring and insulators detail. Small progress for almost all day, but worth it.

Thanks for looking. :)

55.jpg.90b7cc686e5a51a66b67757e2567713e.jpg

56.jpg.ac93c8600fe9beb58d8db734438db600.jpg

57.jpg.fe8574cf7bfd6c696bd00fc8b0353c0e.jpg

Edited by SawgrassRaven

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

#2 is looking great and I am sure it will be every bit as nice as #1. I really like how a diorama tells a story. I used to like building a diorama more than the models I put in them. However space became a issue and it's been awhile since I did one. You have me thinking again I must say.

Thanks Ray!

I enjoy building the scene more than I do the car. :)