Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Fleetline

avidinha

I built this from the AMT kit. I lowered it over eBay wheels and Pegesus tires. A friend gave me the swamp cooler. The plate and side mirror came from my parts box. I made some exhaust tips from plastic tubing. Everything else came with the kit. I wanted to add a visor, but I don't have one that fits right, I'll add one later if I find one.

NJLIsni.jpg

uQztGGj.jpg

Xtqr2x4.jpg

2o9MDzw.jpg

OyMi8is.jpg

pOqL3R8.jpg

IjKYTIA.jpg

HyHLcHE.jpg

1 hour ago, Reegs said:

What's that hanging on the rear passenger-side window?

Those were used like air conditioners. they would bring in air from the outside and somehow cool it down a little. im not sure how well it worked

Edit: according to wiki it worked best with low humid weather and used water evaporation to cool the air

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cooler

Edited by youpey

13 hours ago, youpey said:

Looks really good. I really like ehat you did with it

I have this next on my list. Does this car go together well?

Thanks. The only trouble I had building it was with the inner fenders, I just couldn't get them to cooperate, so I just left them out. Other than that it went together well.

22 hours ago, avidinha said:

Thanks. The only trouble I had building it was with the inner fenders, I just couldn't get them to cooperate, so I just left them out. Other than that it went together well.

I have 2 examples of the ‘51 kit languishing in boxes having lost patience with the inner fenders…..

12 minutes ago, crossfire 2004 said:

I have 2 examples of the ‘51 kit languishing in boxes having lost patience with the inner fenders…..

Do they just not fit al all or need trimming? In building this one and have not gotten to it yet

3 hours ago, MrMiles said:

Do they just not fit al all or need trimming? In building this one and have not gotten to it yet

I've seen plenty of builds with the inner fenders, so I know it can be done. They have a lot of different angles and curves, so it's hard to know where to trim. Hopefully you have more patients than I do.

26 minutes ago, avidinha said:

I've seen plenty of builds with the inner fenders, so I know it can be done. They have a lot of different angles and curves, so it's hard to know where to trim. Hopefully you have more patients than I do.

Probably not, honestly. I will give an effort but probably toss them. I rarely open the hood of my builds once its done. I usually toss them in a case...or the garbage if there are a lot of mistakes 

5 hours ago, MrMiles said:

As I recall the body would not sit on the frame correctly with the inner fenders in place and after a number of unsuccessful attempts to trim parts away I lost interest and the will to live.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrMiles said:

Do you know where you friend got the swamp cooler. i would really like to use one in mine.

I'm really not sure where he got it. The only place I know that used to make them was Modelhaus.