Model Cars Magazine Forum

1995 Ford F-150 XLT

I have had this kit in my stash for many years and finally decided that it was time to build it.  The kit is the AMT/ERTL 1995 Ford F-150 XLT, kit # 6106, which I believe has not been reissued in many years.  At least I have not seen one advertised in ages.  The kit is a dream to build with very minor flash and great parts fit.  If you can find one, I highly recommend that you pick it up at once.

Some of the modifications that I made to the truck are as follows:  In the interior I added seat belts (three of them), a travel mug (scratch build), embossing powder for the carpet, door cranks, door panel trim (BMF), a turn signal and shift lever to the steering column as neither one was included in the kit, door locks and a Truck magazine.

I simulated a Line-X truck bed liner using Krylon textured spray paint and scratch build the Line-X placard.  Using spare decals I fashioned back up lights for the taillight assemblies.  

For the cab of the truck, I scratch build the rear slider and the 3rd taillight.  I used regular auto tinting film on the rear slider

Other improvements were tire valve stems for the wheels, aluminum exhaust tips, scratch build antenna (using small gauge wire) and I replaced the kits plastic spare tire with a rubber tire from my spares box.  For the side trim, I used War Bird chrome decal stripes.  I removed the kit chrome from the front and rear bumpers and side mirrors.  The parts were then shot with Alclad ll chrome.

The paint is from Scale Finishes.  After the paint was dry, I rubbed it out using Novus #2 and then I waxed the body using Meguiar's Gold Class auto wax.

I also added spark plug wires and battery cables to the engine bay.  And if you look close you will see that I added hood stops (bumpers) to the front engine bay panel.

I just noticed that most of the photos are of the right side.  I am not sure how that happened.  My mistake, sorry.

IMG_2191.thumb.JPG.7b2178666faba12b24bd886fc3562691.JPG

Enjoy the photos.

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, TransAmMike said:

Looks great Terry. I own a 1:1 '96 Black and Gold Eddie Bauer SWB. I should try that one.  Good job👌

On 7/7/2021 at 2:27 AM, Dominik said:

very nice!

On 7/7/2021 at 5:56 AM, Zippi said:

Nice looking pickup.  The color looks great.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:57 AM, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

On 7/7/2021 at 7:20 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Looks great! Coffee cup in the cupholder. Will have to remember that detail!

On 7/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, cobraman said:

Well done !

On 7/7/2021 at 8:31 AM, Jonathan said:

Wow!  A beautiful build!

On 7/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, Gerald Haney said:

great job! very clean and realistic build!

On 7/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, espo said:

Great looking showroom stock looking truck. I like the paint and interior. 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:04 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Colors look spot on! Very realistic.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:18 PM, bisc63 said:

A very nice looking model. I need to find one of these, looks like an over-looked gem! Well done.

23 hours ago, kelson said:

Nice build and weathering!,still see some of these on the road in decent condition.

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments, it is greatly appreciated.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for the nice comments.  Your input is appreciated.

On 7/10/2021 at 4:49 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

On 7/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, echo said:

Very nice build, if you meant it to look real, you succeed !  Nice added features too.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, Metalbeast said:

I drove a 93 XL for 13 years and it never looked that nice. 😂 I have all the AMT 9th gen F150 kits, maybe someday I'll build at least a couple of them.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:32 AM, Jim B said:

Very nice looking F-150.  Very well done.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:10 AM, TarheelRick said:

Can't go wrong with an F-150.  You have built an excellent example, color choice is right on the money.  I really like it.  Makes me want to dig out my copy and see what I can do with it.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:46 PM, av405 said:

Great work!

On 7/16/2021 at 4:34 AM, David G. said:

Nailed it!

Everything looks spot-on, right down to the spray on bed liner and the light weathering of the chassis and engine bay.

David G.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:51 AM, kilrathy10 said:

You've done an awesome, wonderful job on this thing... Very well done... Engine bay looks great, and the interior is beautiful... Great work...

31 minutes ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice work !!👍😀