Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1249 40 Foot Great Dane Reefer Trailer

Casey

17 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Wouldn't it be great if Round 2 would put some money into these trailers to make a modern 53 footer? Disc wheels, air ride suspension, feet in the landing gear instead of wheels.... 🤔

Moebius just made a Great Dane 53' Reefer trailer in both ribbed and smooth sides between 2012-2015. Granted it doesn't have air discs, but in my experience not that many trailers that are more than 2-3 yrs old are equipped with them anyways.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, Mr mopar said:

Coors or not I'm glad to see this kit back with the detailed reefer !

Yes it's good to have it back, it's a long time since it was out last.
Hopefully they have fixed the control panel for the reefer, it was on the wrong side in the earlier kits, and the Great Dane decals for the badges up on the front corners, the have allways been too small.

1 hour ago, Force said:

Yes it's good to have it back, it's a long time since it was out last.
Hopefully they have fixed the control panel for the reefer, it was on the wrong side in the earlier kits, and the Great Dane decals for the badges up on the front corners, the have allways been too small.

I agree with you on that !

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Coors branded it be...

That one says Fruehauf on the box and doesn't mention a reefer...the Great Dane reefer is a different trailer, I presume?   

Edit: it appears the Great Dane reefer is of '70s ERTL origin, while the Fruehauf 'beaded panel' van is of '70s AMT origin, last seen in Coca-Cola livery recently.

Not sure if the Fruehauf is refrigerated, so maybe the Coors version is for hauling a load of warm beer...;)

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, niteowl7710 said:

Coors branded it be...as the Fruehauf van.  That explains where the decals "went" on the Great Dane reefer boxing.  Amusing it's in a van trailer given that at the time Coors had be refrigerated or it would go bad - that was the entire plot of Smokey and the Bandit.

AMT1234_FruehaufVan_Miller_PKG_front_900x.jpg.a8552a31dc11bedf912a9a1caf543203.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

That one says Fruehauf on the box and doesn't mention a reefer...the Great Dane reefer is a different trailer, I presume?   

Yeah I was adding more to the reply when you got to commenting. 🤣 I also managed to quote myself instead of edit the post.  Am I losing my mind or did the quote and edit button get moved around?

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

I think that when Coors first started trucking their beer to the east coast way back in the early 80's they used refrigerated trucks and there beer not getting hot while shipping was a big thing back then, I cannot swear to that but it seems I remember that, but I was just a youngster way back  then.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:42 AM, Force said:

Yes, most of the beverage transports are in regular dry goods vehicles, reefers are for fresh meat and other foods that needs to be chilled or frozen.

😎😎😎

Used to haul a full load of Tator Tots from Caldwell Idaho to Chicago (reefer on), then back load was a trailer load of whiskey back to Boise Idaho (reefer off)...   Any which way, just glad to see this kit reissued!!!

DJ

Edited by TECHMAN

1 hour ago, TECHMAN said:

😎😎😎

Used to haul a full load of Tator Tots from Caldwell Idaho to Chicago (reefer on), then back load was a trailer load of whiskey back to Boise Idaho (reefer off)...   Any which way, just glad to see this kit reissued!!!

DJ

Since these trailers are insulated, I guess the temp stay's more or less constant, as oppose to regular trailers which can heat up like a furnace when driving through the desert states, no?!

Coors was cold brewed so it was one of the few major brands that wasn’t pasteurized making it very perishable so the need for reefer trailers to haul it and had to be refrigerated at the distributor and store..

It being so time sensitive was the real reason it wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi for a long time, until they changed how it was made.

Doggone it, just when I'm trying to reduce the number of kits to build they put out another that I will have to buy!LOL

17 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Since these trailers are insulated, I guess the temp stay's more or less constant, as oppose to regular trailers which can heat up like a furnace when driving through the desert states, no?!

They can keep a load of ice cream at a constant -40 from Wi. to Ca.. and when the guy forgets to reset the temp and hauls a load of roma tomatoes from Ca. to IL. you have to see the results to believe it!LOL

No, it wasn't me either!LOL

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:26 AM, Luc Janssens said:

😎😎😎

They would eventually get "hot" inside too, just took them a lot longer with the "insulated walls"....  But, since the backload was stored in an "open air" warehouse, we didn't bother running the units going back west...

Will probably have to have at least a couple/three of these!!!

DJ

• Like 1

• 2 months later...