Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bugatti Royale, the Kellner coupe, 1/24th scale

Pico

I acquired this from one of this forum's members (Thanks, Eric). He got it from a well known South African resin caster, but is not his work. Who made it is unknown. It was really third rate work and I spent a considerable amount of time smoothing out the body, reshaping the trunk and correcting other areas. I'm fairly satisfied with the results. I consider the Kellner coupe to be the most attractive of all the Royales. 

DSCN4139.JPG

DSCN4140.JPG

DSCN4141.JPG

• Like 1

It looks like one of the Italeri Royales was used as a donor kit for the chassis and running gear. I was not aware that anyone had made a resin body of the Kellner coupe, and this is a very nice model considering that the builder stated that a lot of work was needed on the resin.

Pico, it looks great now! And I agree, the Kellner Coupe is arguably the best looking Royale of the bunch. I got to see it in person when it was still owned by Briggs Cunningham and on display in his museum in Costa Mesa. I was 18 at the time and just completely blown away by the car. So huge, yet so perfectly proportioned, elegant, stately, just amazing. This is on my list to scratch build. Getting back to my Italeri '33 Cadillac convertible coupe project now. Just finished reworking a Danbury Mint Hispano Suiza for fun, now it's back to body work. If I grab another die cast before finishing that Cadillac, Eric Macleod will punch me. 😄

• 6 months later...

The Kellner Coupe I agree has lovely coach work and quite rakish, really suiting the car generally.

My own favourite is the Weinberger bodied car that Charles Chayne rescued from a New York scrap yard when the engine block froze and cracked. The car was originally painted black with a yellow body trim line and edging around the wings. Chayne had the car painted cream and changed the wheels to have trims with the EB logo on them and other non original extras. This car is on display in a US motor museum and was kitted by Lindberg originally in its present guise. If I were to build the Lindberg (Revell) kit I would take some wheels and tyres from one of the Italeri kits to reconfigure the kit back to how Weinberger originally finished it.

Gerald Wingrove's Complete Car Modeller 2 book is devoted to modelling this particular car.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1