Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/16 1979 Firebird


Recommended Posts

I've noticed that the temperatures in Canada are in 50's and it's been a little damp with humidity at around 75%. This could be some of your problems with the paint if your painting in an enclosed space like a garage where the humidity can wreak havoc on paint. Do you have a paint booth as of yet Declan? 

Edited by mustang1989
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I've noticed that the temperatures in Canada are in 50's and it's been a little damp with humidity at around 75%. This could be some of your problems with the paint if your painting in an enclosed space like a garage where the humidity can wreak havoc on paint. Do you have a paint booth as of yet Declan? 

Unfortunatly, I do not have a paint booth. If I did, I wouldn't be having such issues. My paint area is in the basement, it is less humid than the rest of the house though. I haven't gotten the 50 degree weather but the humidity in Canada right now is stupidly high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, David G. said:

It looks quite workable so far.

I wish you better luck on this go around.

David G.

Thank you, even if the paint isn't smooth this time, I am going to let it go. I can't afford to keep redoing it.

7 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I may have missed it, but what paint are you using for the body?

Uh.... I never actually said because it is a really really crappy paint. I have done my best with it so far, but it is the Rustoleum Metallic Finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Thank you, even if the paint isn't smooth this time, I am going to let it go. I can't afford to keep redoing it.

Uh.... I never actually said because it is a really really crappy paint. I have done my best with it so far, but it is the Rustoleum Metallic Finish.

Gotcha, I’ve found Rustoleum can be hit or miss on models. I have been mostly using Duplicolor Perfect match paints since I like how they coat, as well as Tamiya for some colors. The paint from Automotive Touchup is my ultimate favorite to work with, but it is pricier and takes several days to arrive.

Don’t give up though, it’s coming along well otherwise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jordan White said:

Gotcha, I’ve found Rustoleum can be hit or miss on models. I have been mostly using Duplicolor Perfect match paints since I like how they coat, as well as Tamiya for some colors. The paint from Automotive Touchup is my ultimate favorite to work with, but it is pricier and takes several days to arrive.

Don’t give up though, it’s coming along well otherwise!

I did just get some of the Duplicolor paints, I am looking forward to trying them!

Thanks for the confidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

I did just get some of the Duplicolor paints, I am looking forward to trying them!

Thanks for the confidence.

From my experience I've had rustoleum and krylon spray cans come out completely horrible. Or even better they'll spray beautiful when full , when they start to get low they'll spray bad. Idk just saying been through the same BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that's why I absolutely hate spraying the bodies. Can ruin a whole project. Keep it up though my boy !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mattilacken said:

Good to see that you have made a second try! Great work even though you say you are not satisfied! Is always tough to start over but we always learn some thing! 

I am glad I did try again, it was just sitting on my bench glaring at me otherwise

Thanks for your confidence and comment!

On 9/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, Ctmodeler said:

From my experience I've had rustoleum and krylon spray cans come out completely horrible. Or even better they'll spray beautiful when full , when they start to get low they'll spray bad. Idk just saying been through the same BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that's why I absolutely hate spraying the bodies. Can ruin a whole project. Keep it up though my boy !

I have had some success with Rustoleum. Got a pretty nice paint on a Honda NSX I recently did. Spraying the body is always a nervous activity... But I am learning a lot just from this model.

I hope to see more of your firebird too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...