Model Cars Magazine Forum

More Classic Planes - This time mostly from Japan!

Well, it’s summer time, and that means Hobby Shop Road Trips! Sadly, though, with COVID still smacking my home provice around, it’s not quite to that point. Thankfully, though, one of my local shops managed to buy a whole tonne of old kits, so I’ve been able to recreate the experience just by going across town!

Over the last bit, I’ve managed to acquire a lot of kits I’d not seen before, including a large number of Japanese floatplanes, as well as some WWII and even some Jets from Hasegawa and Fujimi, primarily. Of course, I also picked up some other weirdness, because why wouldn’t I?

Check out my latest haul at the link below, and vote, at the bottom of that page, for what you want to see reviewed out of box first!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/japanese-model-plane-score-july-2021/

spacer.png

Edited by Faust

N1K1 for sure--that is one hella cool looking floatplane! 

It might interest you that back in the early '90s, I saw the world's only remaining Seiran about halfway through its restoration at the Smithsonian NASM's Silver Hill shop facilities. I'd never heard of the thing before, but the story of the submarine-borne floatplane was absolutely compelling! :blink:

Great stuff! There's no wrong order to building these, and I look forward to your first WIP thread. While on the subject of the old and odd, you fellows may appreciate this tidbit: Lindberg (or whoever owns the name now) has re-released some oldies but goodies in 2-packs. What's great about that? Two things: 1...price  is very reasonable ( I got the 1/48 Ju-87 Stuka/ Me-262 combo delivered to my door for less than 20 bucks) and 2... The icing on the cake, and totally unexpected, all NEW thorough decal sheet by Cartograph no less! It is absolutely beautiful, and top quality. RECOMMENDED!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, heyjohnxx said:

From 2012: Seiran on display

DSC02008.JPG

I see the Baka peeking out under the Seiran's nose, too. That was also in the shop when I visited Silver Hill. I was able to get up close and personal and get cockpit pics of that one--what cockpit there is, I should say. My first thought was that any reasonably skilled home hobbyist should be able to build a 1:1 scale replica of the thing in his garage, out of mostly scraps, junk, and castoff material. Shouldn't be any harder than, say a simple boat. I'm not kidding.