Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1969 Dodge Charger

doorsovdoon

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Oddly, the Confederate flag might not be "on" the box, but it is "in" the box.

That's good to know, it wouldn't look the same with a flower on the roof!

1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

That is AWESOME! A slant-6 plus  pistol-grip 4-Speed! TOO COOL!

A Great Model car! A keeper!

Thanks, Ron. Granny always regretted not getting the R/T, haha 

42 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Stellar job of polishing a turd! And a slant 6 to boot!

Thanks, Lee. Lots of polishing! Lol

Thanks guys. This really is one of those "bad kits" and not just an old AMT with an ill fitting grill and headlights. I actually hope Round2 take another look at the mould and just do some basic corrections on it. The detail isn't any worse than any other MPC or AMT from the 60's, it's just the horrendous fit issues that ruin it. It's a bit of a shame really as it's a pretty decent representation of '69 Charger. 

14 hours ago, carrucha said:

Nice build.  Sometimes the most challenging kits bring the most satisfaction when completed.

Thanks, Hector. Yes, surprisingly I really enjoyed this one. I'm tempted to get another one knowing how to go about fixing it now as they can look really good if sorted out properly.

13 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Nicely done! You'd never know you started with that pile of a kit!

Thanks, Craig. Yeah, it's a shame how bad the kit is out of the box, it could be made into a nice looking kit if they fix the problems it has, surprisingly there's not that many. Front/rear bumper fitment and the engine bay are really all that needs fixing.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Fantastic Charger Gareth!  Love the slant 6.  Did the 6 fit without much trouble!

Thanks mate. Yeah, it went straight in, though I had to push the engine forward a bit cos the engine mounts were visible from underneath and looked like they were just floating there. As it is, the rad fan rests on the front cross member and I had to fill in a gap between the exhaust and downpipe. I wish I built lower control arms as they would have hidden the engine mounts and the engine would have been a perfect fit, it was almost made for this chassis!

On 7/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Tom99 said:

Looks good, I like the slant 6.

The slant 6 makes me chuckle.

I used to drive a '75 Dodge D-100 pickup with a 225 Slant-6. Boy, I used to stomp on that accelerator pedal to try and make that thing giddy-up and go.

The engine was bullet-proof but I wondered if I might have gone easier on her with a 318 V-8 under the hood...

On 7/12/2021 at 2:58 AM, Can-Con said:

Looks great Gareth.

It just shows how a little extra work can make all the difference with these old kits. 

Thanks, Steve.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:05 AM, majel said:

Well the kit might leave a lot to be desired but your build is very well done!  Nice job.

Thanks, Jim.

On 7/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, ewetwo said:

Really nice. I love that it has a slant 6 in it.

Thanks, David. I've looked everywhere to find another build of a Charger with a slant six and can't find anything, this might be the first and only one!

19 hours ago, charger74 said:

WoW it looks very good 

Thanks, Eric.

9 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

The slant 6 makes me chuckle.

I used to drive a '75 Dodge D-100 pickup with a 225 Slant-6. Boy, I used to stomp on that accelerator pedal to try and make that thing giddy-up and go.

The engine was bullet-proof but I wondered if I might have gone easier on her with a 318 V-8 under the hood...

haha, yeah small engines in big cars are not economical. I used to have a 1983 Ford Sierra with a 1.3 Pinto engine. Poor thing was constantly in high rev, over heating and burnt more oil than petrol.

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks, Steve.

Thanks, Jim.

Thanks, David. I've looked everywhere to find another build of a Charger with a slant six and can't find anything, this might be the first and only one!

Thanks, Eric.

haha, yeah small engines in big cars are not economical. I used to have a 1983 Ford Sierra with a 1.3 Pinto engine. Poor thing was constantly in high rev, over heating and burnt more oil than petrol.

I had 1 1966 Coronet. A 1968 Coronet. And a 1968 Dart. All with the slant 6. Once you got them in motion they were fine. Just getting to that spot took forever. LOL. My Great uncle bought a brand new 1964 entry level Plymouth with the slant 6 when his 1953 Buick rusted away. Automatic transmission was the only option he choose. No power steering or brakes. No radio and vinyl floor covering. When it was finally no longer road worthy it had over 300,000 miles on it. And the engine had never been touched except for regular maintenance stuff. At one point he had trouble with the dash mounted transmission selector. That was the only issue. Other than rust. Funny thing is the car looked great from the outside. Even the seats were still good. But the trunk and the passenger floors just rusted away. Most likely from the vinyl flooring. LOL