Model Cars Magazine Forum

Americanized AMT Container Trailer

Looking for tips on making the recent AMT reissue of the Italeri Container Trailer into something more resembling what we see on the roads here in North America, I came across a topic that has since  been moved, as some of us seem to have hijacked the original subject:

Some great instructions from past magazines are posted there and worth a look. Anyways my progress so far: (1)Shortening the the spread-axle Euro dolly by joining the front and rear springs:

IMG_5962.JPG

(2) Revising the tail end, while keeping the kit parts. 'Before' on the left and 'after' on the right,' might do more though:

IMG_5961.JPG

More to come, debating swapping out the wheels for some Daytons from the junk parts box

BTW, there is a prototype for the Euro version, at: https://www.mascus.de/lkw-transport/containerauflieger/other-deutsche-fruehauf-container-chassis-40ft-full-s/bje9i94h.html  with some neat weathering ideas too:

download (3).jpg

Edited by hct728(Bob)

I look forward to following this, it's amazing how many little differences there are between a US and a European skeletal trailer. Mind you, I haven't seen a spread axle set up like that kit for decades, everything inn the UK is triaxles now with super single tyres and adjustable frame lengths. I Americanised the 1/32 scale ESCI 20ft container trailer a while ago, which was interesting.  

Look forward to seeing your progress!

On 7/8/2021 at 2:58 PM, Rockford said:

I look forward to following this, it's amazing how many little differences there are between a US and a European skeletal trailer. Mind you, I haven't seen a spread axle set up like that kit for decades, everything inn the UK is triaxles now with super single tyres and adjustable frame lengths. I Americanised the 1/32 scale ESCI 20ft container trailer a while ago, which was interesting.  

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Saw that, you did a great job on that, neatly done!

The entirety of my company's fleet are triaxle chassis with the ability to extend to haul 53' containers. Half of them also have generators on them for refrigeration units. They just bought around 60 of them for a new contract.... I can provide reference pics if necessary. 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Martin,  Reference photos are always needed. Please start a new topic and post them. New, used, weathered, plumbing of refrigeration all would be appreciated. I'd be glad to host photos for you on my Fotki site. Drop me a private message if you would be interested in that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There were a whole bunch of bare chassis in the trailer yard today so I snapped some pictures. Bare chassis, bare generator chassis, 53' container, 53' standalone reefer container, and the front of a reefer container that uses the generator. Also, my truck photobombed a few pictures. 😀

https://public.fotki.com/fabrux/container-chassis/