Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts Packs in Atlantis new Mooneyes Dragster kit

The "Forty-Niner" kit is 1/32. There was also a '32 Deuce roadster and a '25 T pick up and they were sold for 49¢, hence the title. 

And speaking of parts packs, is the Gofer pack the old Revell or Aurora Ford?

Edited by Reegs

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's a much-repeated misconception. The kit is actually 1/25. Measuring and arithmetic don't lie.

Granted it builds a small rail, but it's 1/25 scale nonetheless.

No kidding. And I had the kit more than once. I guess it was the size of a 1:1 using the Dragmaster I frame.? Now I'm really looking forward to a (reasonably priced) re-issue.

Edited by Reegs

10 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Wouldn't the "test shot" kit in the pic be the same as the Mooneyes sling shot just without the Potvin Blower set up in it?? 

No. They are entirely different kits, entirely different tooling, tooled originally at different times by different companies.

Though the cars appear somewhat similar, a close look reveals they have nothing in common whatsoever.

I do, in fact, have pristine examples of both the originals for close critical comparison.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 10:26 AM, DrKerry said:

Pic from Atlantis email sent out saying pre orders will be available end of July..

65B49BD3-9D8D-466A-8979-A3C3504F2AA3.jpeg.f87919763c4e6495db4258580f59928f.jpeg

Are the front wheels legit on that thing? I just spent some time on the George Klass site looking at a buttload of early diggers and didn't see anything like these. #1 wheels were cycles, with #2 and #3 going to various open wheels and Romeo Palimides 12-spokes, #4 Halibrands. These have 12 spokes but are very different from the RP wheels, which have six spokes on the front and six on the back. These have all 12 spokes going right to the center. They just won't "pass" as RP wheels to my eye. And I don't have any extra cycle wheels to put on it. GRRRRRRR! 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Are the front wheels legit on that thing?

They look legit for a pony cart :D

I'd be interested to see if anyone knows if they're based on a real wheel design -  I actually like the style of them, but I agree, they're not what I think of when I picture an early slingshot.  Time to go research on The HAMB!

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

They look legit for a pony cart :D

I'd be interested to see if anyone knows if they're based on a real wheel design -  I actually like the style of them, but I agree, they're not what I think of when I picture an early slingshot.  Time to go research on The HAMB!

I'm wondering if I could cut out one spoke at a time and replace it with a piece of plastic rod, properly oriented to "front" and "back" sides. That would look better....

As I looked at them I saw a ton of stuff that was off compared to the Mooneyes digger!!! Needless to say I won't be buying one especially at the prices I'm sure they'll be asking for it... Only thing it would be worth is the Mooneyes decals depending on what they look like!! 

Thanks for the info gents!!!

Edited by DrKerry

On 7/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, Daddyfink said:

As Ace and I said, they are totally different kits

Pics from the web

Photo: IMG 3780 | Mooneyes dragster album | K&R Kustoms + Rods | Fotki.com,  photo and video sharing made easy.

yellow-flash-1024x768.jpg?13930

The above pic of the Mooneyes dragster is my build. More pix here if you'd like to eyeball: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/mooneyes-dragster/

That other little '49er dragster is something I'm not real familiar with. Interesting...the roll bar is attached to the body (WTF???)...seems a pretty simple kit, will take some doing to make it look reasonable. That's what scratch building is for. Looking forward to seeing both...some day... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat