Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got a lot of weathering done- still more to do, of course. Will need to grind more in the engine compartment to make the hemi fit, and also grind inside the grille to adjust the radiator fit (too close to the engine). Used white pastel to weather the tires and did more on the seat. Mostly done with pastel rubbed on the area then worked with my finger (best) or a q-tip (doesn't stick as well). 

weathered hemi.jpg

weathered tires and seat.jpg

weathered power train.jpg

weathered front.jpg

weathered rear.jpg

weathered right side.jpg

weathered right 3-4.jpg

• Like 1

Got a lot of weathering done- still more to do, of course. Will need to grind more in the engine compartment to make the hemi fit, and also grind inside the grille to adjust the radiator fit (too close to the engine). Used white pastel to weather the tires and did more on the seat. Mostly done with pastel rubbed on the area then worked with my finger (best) or a q-tip (doesn't stick as well). 

It's going to be a very weathered but very hard working truck. Named Babe after Paul Bunyan's blue ox. Made a headache rack from a roll bar. Cut down a tool box from the Nascar kits to fit on the running board. Dual vertical exhaust stacks through the running boards behind the cab. Cranked out windshield. And the hemi. Lots of chains, shackles, and tow hooks. And a trailer hitch. More pix when I get more done.

BTW, looking through the post it looks like something got out of order.

19 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

It's going to be a very weathered but very hard working truck. Named Babe after Paul Bunyan's blue ox. Made a headache rack from a roll bar. Cut down a tool box from the Nascar kits to fit on the running board. Dual vertical exhaust stacks through the running boards behind the cab. Cranked out windshield. And the hemi. Lots of chains, shackles, and tow hooks. And a trailer hitch. More pix when I get more done.

BTW, looking through the post it looks like something got out of order.

Awesome. A Dodge Power Wagon, like the one you’re building, is my dream truck.

There was a thread somewhere in here about some people turning up their nose at modifying a diecast. Well, if a metal model of the subject is the only material available, go for it. Believe me, this is much tougher in some respects because of grinding die casting metal that is more like steel than zinc alloy (in this case). And here's a funny thing- modelers who use metal in their models (like the late great Augie Hiscano) got more respect! What looked like a great model under a lot of black paint ended up looking very different when stripped. 

I would love to have one as well, Saltie, but way beyond my budget. Lots of great photos on the internet.

More progress- some of it pretty major- cut the hood sides from the rest of the hood using a jewelers saw I haven't used in years- my razor saw was too dull to cut this diecasting metal- especially tough in the hood, and when I removed the original paint a very different color from the rest of the parts- those were silvery while the hood pieces were almost a golden color and very shiny- and hard as steel! I had cut the wheels and tires off to weather them- decided it was time to reattach them- made short pins from sprue with a concave end going into the (brake drum?)- the hidden brake drum face was bored out with a conical depression and everything superglued together- we shall see if it stands up to the weight of all that metal! The hood sides will be attached to the hood top with two layers of transparent packing tape acting as a hinge, not quite reaching the front and back. This will leave small areas where I can glue over strips of styrene for reinforcing. We shall see!

axle ends.jpg

wheels and tires.jpg

hood cut apart.jpg

Got a lot done on the Power Wagon- rehung the doors (still don't quite close, but better), added the mirrors which actually can swivel on their brackets, detailed and installed the dash, and scratch built a transfer case cover and operating levers to replace the klunky original. Also bent up new exhaust pipes to fit the hemi exhaust manifolds.  They clear all the drivetrain and take off cases and shafts. They will connect to the vertical stacks. Weathered the tool box for the running board. Next big mini project will be hinging the hood sides- first idea using tape didn't work, needs more thought.

cab with rehung doors and mirrors.jpg

detailed dash.jpg

new exhaust pipes.jpg

weathered tool chest.jpg

More progress! Beginning the dreaded final assembly! Installed the bed, still having a problem with the drivers side door on the cab. Got up the courage to finally add the Dodge and Power Wagon decals to the grille and hood sides- and then I weathered them! Also finished and installed the power drive for the rear winch mounted on the hitch assembly which of course will tow the trailer for the big boat! Onwards through the fog, forward never straight!

prelim assembly 1.jpg

prelim assembly 2.jpg

dodge lettering.jpg

pw lettering 1.jpg

pw lettering 2.jpg

Togetherness is a wonderful thing- the Power Wagon is together! Still needs a lot of additional details and more weathering. Need to fabricate hold down straps for the tool box, stone guards for the head lights, chain attachments for the tow package, cable for the rear winch drum, chains, ropes, and bungee straps for the headache rack. and general mayhem in the bed!

together 1.jpg

together 2.jpg

together 3.jpg

together 4.jpg

together 5.jpg

14 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Don't worry- it will be counter balanced by the heavy tire and military style wheel as well as oxyacetylene tanks. These trucks could twist like a snake over rough terrain and carry serious heavy loads doing it.

If that box is filled anything like my 1:1 in the garage it would weigh about 1000 lbs.  Not anywhere close to a spare wheel & tire.  Not to mention it would be top heavy.  That's why you never see a set up like this in real life.