Model Cars Magazine Forum

Folgers IMSA Mustang

Hello All

I am after some guidance for the color on the Folgers IMSA mustang? Does it have a metallic sheen? Also does anyone know if they have window nets? If they do, what type? Thanks

Ash 

It’s strange that there are very few pictures online of this particular version.  The box probably has the best photo but there are a few I found that show the window net.  In the pictures it always looked like a metallic finish to mimic the Folders coffee cans.

399B65DB-B17C-4C10-A23A-9FF347DF6A7A.jpeg

8030145B-438A-4BBD-9031-2C3F3E853CD2.jpeg

F08F3276-1FC7-469F-ADAF-42F61100B958.jpeg

Thank you both, The color I have seemed to rich, but I think I will stick with it. As you have noted it's difficult to find photo's that dont end up being the box art. Even the You tube videos dont really have good images to decipher colors. I do understand that photography from that time might be a little low definition. However, it seems that they do indeed have window nets, just not the "NASCAR" style I was thinking. Thank you all for the help. 

Ash

Ash,

I think I have a good photo  of this car from the 24 Hours of Daytona.  I will keep looking for it, but in the meantime I came up with some photos that you can possibly extrapolate information, although most of it is related to the window nets.  Sorry about the quality, but I was just starting to learn my camera, telephoto lens, and then a multiplier.  First up is the Tim Richmond #25 Folgers car from the 1986 Riverside NASCAR race.  I'm thinking with the sponsor promoting the same branding, the color should be similar to the Mustang.  Also notice the window  net that NASCAR was using at the time.

965545588_Riverside86-Richmond.jpg.08a10569eeb81debef9b1368bfe141bb.jpg

The next photo is from the LA Times 6 hour at Riverside in 1983.  It is a Roush IMSA GTO Mustang driven by Bruce Jenner. 

Riverside 83-Jenner.jpg

Among other classes, IMSA sanctioned the GTP, GTO, and Renault Cup classes.  The following photos show a Zakspeed/Roush Mustang GTP, I think driven by Bobby Rahal and a Renault Cup car.  Even with the differences in speed between he classes, the have the same window nets.  As a side note, this Renault Cup car was purchased by Andy Pilgrim about a year or two later as his first dedicated race car when he cane to the States.

1092726579_LagunaSeca83-MustangGTP.jpg.2c42ee8db43f4919f25fd392b2e72f3e.jpg

1832336064_LagunaSeca83-RenaultCup15.jpg.88fac1612b8bbec92dea8ce25ad02435.jpg

The next photo shows a Roush Mustang GTO at the 1987 Riverside race.  The same car model, the same team, but 4 years later with the same type of window net.

1393360018_Riverside87Mustang.jpg.e4bc8610e2de72e1108497aa57ccb6a4.jpg

And finally, IMSA sanctioned the Firehawk series which were stock automobiles with minimum modifications run on Firestone Firehawk street tires.  This is from the 1987 Riverside race, driven by Andy Pilgrim.  Again it has the sam window net seen in the previous IMSA examples.

1545293086_Riverside87-Firehawk18.jpg.958a4ae523bf5fed0d4ce36d8aaf6e92.jpg

I also checked out some of my old Paul Oxman World racing calendars for window nets in IMSA GTO cars.  It would make sense that the photos are from the year before the date of the calendar.  On the 1989 calendar, the Roush XR4T had the window nets as shown.  The 1990 calendar did not have a clear shot of any window nets, but Roush debuted the Cougar.  On the 1991 calendar, at the 24 hours of Daytona, Robby Gordon's Roush Cougar had the wide straps on the window net, similar to the Tim Richmond car above.

I hope this helps or gives you food for thought.  If my memory is correct and I find the other photo, I will post it.  I also  have some photos from the IMSA Road America in 1986 as soon as I figure out what I did with them.  I will see if they have anything useful.

Edited by kermn8r