Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

mrmike

The cloudy sky is getting dark and the wind is starting to blow!  It is starting to rain and it is falling harder and harder!  The ground is shaking as the wind blows harder and harder!  Oh no, oh no, OH NO!!!  Mr. Mike is build another Chevrolet!  Yes folks, I am building another Chevrolet and I am also including another McNally, Boston PI story with it.  Nobody in this story resembles anyone dead or alive.  

The Build

This is the Revell Impala SS Snaptite kit #6399 from many years ago.  My goal is to paint the body with Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red over a black primer with a medium grey interior and the wheels will get a coating of Testors Dullcoat to knock down the shine of the chrome.

The Story

Jonathan Trenton is telling Det. Steven Darvell about the attempt on his life.  Trenton decides to stay at a Hotel since he feels unsafe at home and he walks back to his condo as Darvell gets into his car.  Then, BAM BAM and Trenton is dead on the steps of his condo.  Darvell gets out of his car and he waddles quickly to Trenton's lifeless body and he sees a man getting into an orange Dodge Charger and speeding away.  Darvell fires a couple of shots from his Glock G22 .40 Caliber pistol, but he doesn't stop the car.

McNally pulls into his driveway in is Charger SRT8 Super Bee and he stops at the back door.  He gets out to unload his groceries from the trunk when he is surrounded by cops with their guns drawn.  He raises his hands and says, "What's going on, guys?"  Darvell walks over to him and places him under arrest and places him in a Patrol Car for the trip to Boston Police Headquarters.  There is a bag of groceries on the ground and Darvell kicks it with a smile on his face and a milk carton in the bag starts leaking through the bag and onto the ground. 

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS01.JPG

ImpalaSS02.JPG

ImpalaSS03.JPG

Thanks Ron, John and Bob!

4 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

It's got the 1994 mirrors along with the seat separator console which was 1996 only. So, they took some liberties.

From what I have determined, the model is a 1994 with the console with the shifter up on the steering column.  In 1996, the shifter was relocated to the console.  The mirrors are 1994 vintage.  Basically, the model is a 1994, but for my story, it is a 1996.

The Story

McNally is placed in an Interrogation Room and chained to a metal table by Det. Darvell.  A woman walks into the room and McNally is shocked to see who it is...Caitlyn Scotsen, his ex-girlfriend!  She is the ADA on this case and was about to question McNally when Attorney Charlotte Rothmann walks in exclaiming that the interrogation was over and McNally was to be released with all charges dropped.  McNally wasn't Mirandized by any cop or detective.  Lt. Det. Troy walks in and gives a folder to the ADA and she reads it and announces that McNally will be released with all charges dropped.

Charlie and McNally are stopped by the exit by ADA Scotsen who tells them that McNally is in big trouble.  He may have gotten his PI License back without his gun and permit and she is in the process of his license revoked.  Charlie demands that no investigation was conducted and her client is innocent and McNally gets between the two ladies and he says that he will find the guilty party with or without a PI License and no body will stop him.

The Build

I assembled part of the engine followed by body cleanup.  I wondered how the Impala SS would look with white lettered tires.  I used my white Gelly Roll pen for the letters.  If I don't like the look of them, I'll wipe the tires off.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS04.JPG

ImpalaSS05.JPG

ImpalaSS06.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, espo said:

Looking at the tires, your hand is steadier than mine. 

Trust me, it was tough to do!  The letters are tiny and I had to remember to hold the pen loosely so my hand wouldn't get tired.

19 hours ago, Lowridingmike said:

Man I love these stories and builds thank you so much for the energy you bring into this forum sir!

You are very much welcomed!

Edited by mrmike

The Story

In the morning, Charlie gave McNally a ride to Vic's Auto Sales & Service.  He thanks Charlie for the ride and he goes to the showroom door and knocks on it.  Vic opens the door and lets McNally in with a question about where his car is and he is told that the Police have confiscated it and he is in need of wheels and "Big Bertha".  His Jeep was out of commission and his father's '57 Ford 300 was still in storage.  Vic leads McNally to his office in the back and he pulls a large wooden box from his gun safe and the box contains a Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50 caliber handgun with an 8 inch barrel and Pachmayr rubber grips.

Vic loads the gun as McNally puts on the shoulder holster and then Vic checks his computer inventory for a car for his friend.  In the Service Manager's office, he grabs a set of keys and a temporary plate and leads the Boston PI out to the back lot and a '96 Impala SS.  He just took the car in on trade and he cautions his friend to go easy on the car.  "Now, go get the guy who is framing you!"

The Build

I changed my mind on the paint.  After looking at several photos online, I will paint the Impala SS with Tamiya TS-11 Maroon with Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clear.  Since the grille, alternator and condenser were chrome plated, a bath in Easy-Off Oven Cleaner removed that chrome.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS07.JPG

ImpalaSS08.JPG

ImpalaSS09.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks David, Carl and David G.! 

My LHS has very few of the Lacquer spray paints left and they had no GM Maroon.  I'm hoping to be able to recreate the GM color in my own way and I hope that it its close.    

The Story

McNally drives out to Brookline to see Alexander Cannon for anything he might know.  Cannon had hoped that McNally had arrived for breakfast that was promised, but he wanted to talk about last night's incident.  Cannon noted that McNally's ex-girlfriend was the prosecutor on the case and he also noticed the large .500 caliber handgun under McNally's left shoulder.  Cannon offers him help to find the person who framing him and McNally thanks him for the help.  McNally decides to investigate his late client as a starting point and see where it leads him.

Later that morning, Cannon calls McNally to tell him that he is in good standing with the other bosses he knows around New England.  If he hears anything, he will contact McNally.  A short time later and he gets a call from Lt. Det. Troy telling him his alibi had checked out.  A man was seen leaving the scene of the crime in an orange Dodge Charger like McNally's and he would have to find the car.  There should be two bullet holes in the car somewhere if Det. Darvell hit the car at all since he is not a good shooter.

The Build

Someone named Joe told me that the engine block and oil pan was painted black instead of the steel I had used.  I went and painted the engine block, heads, water pump and oil pan black.  I should have painted only the engine block and oil pan, but I got carried away and painted it all except for the intake manifold and transmission.  I had move the hood aside and noticed that the mounting pin was missing from the hood.  Since I have this small pile of scrap plastic on the bench, I rummaged around and found a suitable piece for a replacement.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS10.JPG

ImpalaSS11.JPG

ImpalaSS12.JPG

• Like 1

The Story

ADA Scotson knocks on Lt. Det. Troy's door and he waves her in.  She wants to know of the detective's name who messed up the arrest.  Lt. Det. Troy says no name since it could possibly affect the outcome of future court cases that detective has.  The ADA says she could figure out the detective's name and Adam says again, no name.  She leaves his office in a huff!

Since McNally is driving around in a car supplied to him by his buddy Vic, he needs to find out the person framing him in a hurry and return the car to Vic in one piece.  Vic had asked about the Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50 Caliber handgun and where did he find it?  It was hidden by an arms dealer that McNally helped bust several years ago with the ATF.

The Build

I sprayed the body and hood with Tamiya Light Grey Primer and the wheels got a couple coats of Testors Dull Coat lacquer.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS13.JPG

ImpalaSS14.JPG

ImpalaSS15.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Ryan and Bob!  I am trying to replicate the factory Dark Cherry Metallic color.  I was thinking about other colors, but pictures from my research convinced me to try replicating the Dark Cherry Metallic.

Thanks David!  Check out the chassis pictures.

The Story

McNally decides to investigate his late client and maybe a clue will find him.  He talks with Jonathan Trenton's family and friends and they tell him how Jonathan's ex-wife Carla had falsely put him through the ringer in court.  McNally then talks to one of Carla's ex-girlfriends who tells him that Carla wanted more than what Jonathan could ever give her as far as money and the house was concerned.  All this talk really moved the Boston PI closer to finding the person responsible, but there was no real evidence to support it.  If he had found the responsible party, his accusations wouldn't hold up in court without proper evidence in hand.

The Build

The chassis is nearly complete.  I just need to add the rear shocks when they are dry and insert the body and interior.  I want a true '96 Impala SS and I found a shifter for the console and painted it flat black.  These old Impala SS had the shifter on the steering column and in 1996, Chevrolet put the shifter on the console.  This shifter will be added before the interior and chassis meet up with the body.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS16.JPG

ImpalaSS17.JPG

ImpalaSS18.JPG

Edited by mrmike