Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

mrmike

The Story

Lt. Det. Troy had finally had enough of Det. Steven Darvell's poor investigative skills and he called the Internal Affairs Bureau.  He knew this would make Darvell very unhappy with him, but the poor investigation or lack thereof, was more than he could take.  Sgt. Det. William Bolanden arrives and asks for Lt. Det. Troy and Darvell points to Adam sitting in his office.  After 10 minutes of talking, Sgt. Bolanden takes Darvell into an interview room to discuss the matter at hand...Darvell's poor performance on the job.  After the interview, they walk out of the interview room and Darvell is angry, and very hungry as he had missed his supper and Lt. Det. Troy had already left for the day.

He walks back to his small desk and he puts on his coat and his wants to throw the Procedure and Policy Manual in the trash that Lt. Troy had given him, but he tucks it under his arm and leaves the Squad Room heading to a chicken joint for a bucket of chicken and a package store for a rack of beer.

The Build

I had to stop at the local hobby shop for some paint and I found a can of Tamiya Grey that I liked for the interior and a can of Plymouth Prowler Purple Metallic that looks close to the Maroon Metallic that I want on the Impala SS.  I swore that I would never buy any purple since it is not one of my favorite colors.  Maybe my tastes are changing as I grow older...

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS19.JPG

ImpalaSS20.JPG

ImpalaSS21.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Story

As McNally drives home, his cellphone rings and he answers a call from Sgt. Det. Bolanden of the Internal Affairs Bureau and he is investigating Det. Darvell's arrest of McNally.  He tells the Sergeant that he was out of town all day and how he was treated without being told of his Miranda Rights.  Bolanden asks were he was at the time of the murder and McNally was out on Route 2 having left his ex-partner's wife home out in Templeton, MA and he was headed towards Boston and that his ex-partner was deceased.  Sgt. Det. Bolanden remembers the funeral for Det. Daniel Carlisle.  He tells Sgt. Det. Bolanden that Det. Darvell probably didn't investigate any crime and arrested McNally because he doesn't like him since he is friends with Lt. Det. Adam Troy.  McNally is asked why Det. Darvell dislikes him so much and the Boston PI suspects that it is jealously on Darvell's behalf

Sgt. Det. Bolanden thanks McNally for talking with him.

The Build

I painted and detailed the interior and assembled it today during the Classic Plastic Model Club Build-A-Thon.  While the paint booth was up and running, I painted the Impala SS body with Model Master Plymouth Prowler Purple Metallic.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS22.JPG

ImpalaSS23.JPG

ImpalaSS24.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Interior looks spot on for that era GM! What TS number is on that tamiya can? 

body also looks good! 

Tamiya TS-67 IJN Gray.  It's a shade darker than what I really wanted. but I do like it.

Thanks Carl, Anton and David!  I was starting to wonder if my can of Model Master paint would spray at all.  The can had started to leak a little and I didn't notice it when I bought the can a couple of weeks ago.  It sprayed and I should be happy that it did.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Story

McNally is making breakfast for himself when he hears the doorbell ringing and he answers the door to Lt. Det. Adam Troy.  Adam needs to spend some time on the street investigating and McNally's case would be good for him to work on.  McNally finishes his breakfast and places the empty dishes in the dishwasher and he puts on the shoulder harness for the large Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50 cal pistol.  Adam asks about the gun and McNally just smiles at him and they walk out of the house with Adam never asking about the huge gun aagain and they get into Adam's Dodge Charger PPV.  Their first stop was at sports cars dealers that rent out sports cars.

The Build

I started detailing the Impala SS with my Sharpies and some Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black.

More Impala to come...

ImpalaSS25.JPG

ImpalaSS26.JPG

ImpalaSS27.JPG

it looks like my Impala i built couple years ago. I love that car and modelkit. its a cool car.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, mrmike said:

ImpalaSS12.JPG

If you mounting the hood keep an eye of the points where the grill is glued on the hood. that part touched "something" and the hood closed not properly.

This is mine. i also choosed "non"-black 😉

CIMG200513_021.jpg

Thanks David, Michael and Dominik!

I found it interesting that you would mention the hood had touched "something".  I test fitted the hood on my first Chevrolet Impala SS that I built years ago and it fit perfectly.  Then I fitted the hood to the body that I am building and it was perfectly fine.  Thanks for the heads up!  

The Story

McNally and Lt. Det. Troy stop at Boston Sports Cars LLC and inquire about an orange sports car that was recently return.  They talk to a saleswoman by the name of Amanda who is dressed in a low cut top, a very short skirt with stiletto heels and a surgically enhanced body and they ask her about a sports car that may have been returned recently.  She tells them of an orange Dodge Charger R/T with a black side stripe that was returned in that morning by a Donald Bishall and they need to see the car.  The car is in the service bay and not serviced yet and has two bullet holes in the left rear C pillar from Det. Darvell's Glock.  McNally inspects the trunk and he finds a Colt .45 automatic wrapped in a dark blue jacket in the spare tire well.  

Lt. Det. Troy calls for a tow truck from Headquarters and then he goes to his car for evidence bags for the gun and the jacket.  The car is marked as evidence by Lt. Det. Troy and he writes out a receipt for the car.
The Build

I started assembling the Impala SS this afternoon.  I need to fix the front of the hood where I messed up the paint.

McNally will return...

ImpalaSS28.JPG

ImpalaSS29.JPG

ImpalaSS30.JPG

The Story

McNally and Lt. Det. Troy stop at Boston Sports Cars Ltd. and inquire about a rental that may have been returned and there was an orange Charger that had two bullet holes in the C Pillar of the car Det. Darvell's Glock.  McNally searches the trunk and he finds a Colt .45 wrapped in a dark blue jacket in the spare tire well.  Both are packaged as evidence in bags supplied by Lt. Det. Troy who writes out a receipt for the car and then he calls BPD for a tow truck to take the vehicle down to Forensics.  That night, they stop at Carla Trenton's house to question her and her boyfriend Donny Bishell about the Charger and the Colt .45 they found with Donny's fingerprints on the gun and Carla announcing her plans for a long vacation with her ex's money.  Donny tries to fight his way out of the arrest and McNally shoots his in the chest with his Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50 cal handgun after Donny tries to kill McNally with a broken wine bottle.

Carla gives up a name that surprises everyone...State District Attorney Anthony Balling!  His hatred of McNally had pushed him over the edge and he tried to have McNally killed without anyone knowing that he wanted McNally dead.  The following night, armed with search and arrest warrants, the Massachusetts State Police arrest Balling who pleads innocent to Conspiracy to Commit Murder and McNally watched Balling in handcuffs be placed in a  State Police Cruiser and taken to jail.  McNally returned the Impala SS to Vic, got his Charger out of Police Impound, told off Caitlyn and started to rebuild his reputation.

The Build
I have finished my '96 Impala SS and it is posted in Under Glass.  Thanks to all who have viewed and commneted on my WIP.