Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 #6 1969 Le Mans winner

GT Clive

I have come back to car scale models in my retirement years after many years of absence, having about a year ago built a replica of a 1969 Triumph GT6 that I used to own. But the Ford GT40 is one of my all time favourite cars. So after some research, I decided to build the 1969 Le Mans winner which I have just completed. These 2 models mentioned are my first attempts with an airbrush, and the GT40 is my first attempt at clear coating.

It is based on a Fujimi 1:24 scale kit, these are difficult to find now at a reasonable price, I could not find a 1969 version, only a 1968, and I had to order it from Japan.

I made all my own decals for the 1969 version on an inkjet printer and spent many hours of research studying archive photos to make the decals the correct size and placement so the model is as historically accurate as possible.

I bought Streetblisters Gulf Blue and Orange paint set, liked the orange, but thought the blue was too dark. So I then got some Zero Paints Brilliant White and Zero Gulf Blue to give me some options. I found the Zero and Streetblisters Gulf Blue were exactly the same colour! I ended up with 1 part Brilliant White to 2 parts Gulf Blue.

I used detail accessories Studio27 ST27-FP2439 and Renaissance Ford GT40 JWA.

GT40_4232.jpg

GT40_4234.jpg

GT40_4237.jpg

GT40_4240.jpg

GT40_4242.jpg

GT40_4288.jpg

GT40_4313.jpg

GT40_4316.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful GT40 sir! My favorite car of all time!

I would love to see any pics you have of the Triumph GT6 that you built. I built the Lindberg GT6+ a couple years ago. I also had a 1:1 1972 Triumph GT6 a few years ago that I was planning on restoring but in the end it required so much work that I ended up selling it off. (Still have my 1:1 Triumph TR6 though.) 

5 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Beautiful GT40 sir! My favorite car of all time!

I would love to see any pics you have of the Triumph GT6 that you built. I built the Lindberg GT6+ a couple years ago. I also had a 1:1 1972 Triumph GT6 a few years ago that I was planning on restoring but in the end it required so much work that I ended up selling it off. (Still have my 1:1 Triumph TR6 though.) 

Thanks to all again for the kind comments.

I posted pics of the GT6 on this forum - "Triumph GT6" by george 53, page 2

It's good to know of another Triumph fan - I had a Mk1 Spitfire, Mk2 GT6, 1300, 2000 Saloon, 2000 Estate and 2500TC. I sold the GT6 when I bought a Scimitar GTE, another rare car. I never found a decent scale model of the Scimitar. This was the second one of mine:

My Scimitar 1.jpg

• 3 months later...