Model Cars Magazine Forum

Either would work, but so would a two-part epoxy. Really depends upon which is easiest or most convenient for you. I think JB Weld might be overkill, but it would likely provide the strongest bond among the three.

You don't have a MIG or TIG welder, by chance, do you? 😁

Man, Greg, the frame I saw years ago looked to be made from Zamak (the stuff they cast Hot Wheel's bodies from) or something similar. It gets brittle as it ages sometimes, depending on the exact alloy.

See.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

I'd be afraid to do too much drilling on the stuff, but others may know better. My vote is for the Epoxy route, as it should be more forgiving of alignment errors at assembly.

With that said, somebody who builds White Metal car kits should be able to give a better answer.

Another problem with drilling is that your average chinese hobby drill bits would not be up to the task. If they could drill it at all the hole would likely wander off your center mark. You would need some good quality ones, or PC board drill bits which are sharp but very brittle.

The kit is over 30 years old and I am aware of the problems with ZAMAK. Since ERTL produced the kit I believe they used the same formula as they used in their farm tractors. I have a Ertl tractor that is 65 years old and no sign of problems.
The kit's frame rails , front and rear axles are metal the rest plastic. I am starting with Super Glue Gel. So far the rear spring assembly is sticking to the frame.
The frame needed a lot of work to remove bits of flash and location pins.
Thanks to all for your input I will advise as I progress how the metal/plastic parts stay together.

You've probably checked for this already.  But I recently took out an old kit with a metal frame for a quick build.  (HA!)  This was the 1/24 scale Praga Beer Truck, made in the Czech Republic by the MAC company.

The frame was badly warped. Not sure how a metal chassis gets warped.  Maybe taking it out of the mold too quickly, cheap metal, old age or some combo of all those.  It sure was annoying.  The kit is on the Shelf Of Doom until I can straighten it out.