Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970 Chevelle SS454. Yes it's Red w/Black Stripes and Interior.

Dragonhawk1066

I finished the AMT 1970 Chevelle SS454 yesterday. I know, same old--same old, everybody does them in red, but to me the most iconic Muscle Car is a Red Chevelle SS454. So the color is Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red. I left the interior primer black and brushed satin clear over the dash, door panels, and parts of the seats. I added valve stems, ignition wires, heater hoses, and an Accel Supercoil from MAD for extra details. The trim is Bare Metal Foil and the door handles came from Fireball Modelworks and were painted with Molotow Chrome. The final fit was pretty finicky, but after 4 tries I finally got it to look right, although I'm not happy with the gap between the hood and grille. I also sanded down the door window trim on each side, as it was almost non-existent, and used some .010" x .030" styrene strip for the trim. It's a pretty basic but familiar AMT kit with low parts count, lacking details, and showing it's age, but it turned out pretty good and felt nicely nostalgic.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

• Like 1

Looks great in that classic color combination. 

Nice work wrapping the styrene strips around the side windows. Did you polish the base color since it appears to be a non metallic or has that been cleared? Because it has fantastic shine. 

21 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Geez Craig, thats a beauty👍

21 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Very nice! Great job.

21 hours ago, cobraman said:

That's a knockout !

20 hours ago, Zippi said:

Boy does that Chevrolet look good.  That red just makes the car pop.

20 hours ago, 81Jaybird said:

Love it. Not a single person would complain if given a chance to own or ride in a car like that. Your version looks great!

20 hours ago, AJM said:

A beautiful 'clean' build --love the garage diorama! Great job!!

17 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Looks a lot better than mine

10 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

10 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks very good 

Thanks guys!!

18 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Looks great in that classic color combination. 

Nice work wrapping the styrene strips around the side windows. Did you polish the base color since it appears to be a non metallic or has that been cleared? Because it has fantastic shine. 

Thanks Tom! I wet-sanded the color coat and then applied the decals and clear coated, but I did not sand or polish the clear. I did apply a coat of wax before final assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Chevelle and in my favorite color !   Everybody puts down these early kits as lacking detail and the "new" kits are sooo much better , but your build just shows that they can hold their own and even look better than the newer stuff .