Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx by AMT

David G.

I actually built this in 2012 and for some reason, never posted it here on the MCM forum. I think I just didn't like the way the photos turned out. They were pretty bad, but I recently purchased a newer version of Corel PaintShop and was able to fix them up quite nicely.

So, after a rather lengthy delay here the photos of my AMT Meyers Manx.

The old 36 HP Doghouse with some added detail.

Manx_12_01.jpg.52ac87e93f071a0b0157f8d708e60616.jpg

Manx_12_02.jpg.e26f58f7d98c4bc5c9b9f1b5b25a8cca.jpg

Some chassis detail.

Manx_12_04.jpg.849457fd749b62f3cda57865f15fa834.jpg

The flower decals are from the Revell VW Bus kit.Manx_12_05.jpg.0240b3c88e87cc504392c52d08a1e9b8.jpg

Manx_12_06.jpg.21f5a9161dfb221e686dbcf81e26cc96.jpg

Instead of the plastic nerf bars provided by the kit, I fashioned a set out of paperclips.

Manx_12_07.jpg.2d7e423baf030104759960481bc2d1aa.jpg

I eventually added a license plate... and removed the water spot on the rear window.

Manx_12_08.jpg.8f490bfb2cd5e0aadd549f923c720f5a.jpg

I made a wooden deck to go in the area where the "rear seat" was supposed to be. I remember seeing one like this long ago.

Manx_12_09.jpg.85a4b9f74395972785f201c84dfe579c.jpg

Dash detail... and some pretty blue shock absorbers. I think they came from K-Mart.

Manx_12_10.jpg.4db488f4f381025d9eb6e8d4e7fc573e.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo
  • Like 1

what a great buggy!  I've got a soft spot for them and did my best to scratchbuilt some when I was a kid, starting with a cheap toy that in hindsight was probably cloned off the AMT kit.  Your attention to detail has really brought this little bug to life.  The engine and the dash detail are magic!

Cheers

Alan

20 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Well done.

Thank you Lee.

20 hours ago, alan barton said:

what a great buggy!  I've got a soft spot for them and did my best to scratchbuilt some when I was a kid, starting with a cheap toy that in hindsight was probably cloned off the AMT kit.  Your attention to detail has really brought this little bug to life.  The engine and the dash detail are magic!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you Alan, I'm glad you like it.

20 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Very cool, like the extra detailing, just picked one of these up at an estate sale. Now it looks like I will have to build it. 

Thanks Rich. It's a fun kit, and a fairly easy build which lends itself to a number of custom and detailing options. You should give it a go.

20 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Very nice.

Thanks Jim.

13 hours ago, carrucha said:

Nice dune buggy!

Thank you Hector.

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking dune buggy.  Reminds me when my father in-laws was in the Hadi Shrine motor patrol and had his.  

Thanks Bob. 

13 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Cool little buggy!

Thank you Craig.

11 hours ago, Tiger89 said:

Nice job on a fun old kit.  I tackled it as a kid, and did a much better job the second time around a couple years ago.

Thanks David. 

6 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Very nice.  I actually saw a dune buggy flying down the road yesterday.   I have a couple of these in the pile that I'll  get around to one of these days, or years.....

Thank you Doug. I haven't seen one of these on the road in years. Occasionally I see a sand rail, but no Manx style buggies.

6 hours ago, SickBoy said:

Cool little dune buggy there David. Have always loved these little buggies and yours is exactly what I envision when someone says Meyers Manx. Bright, flashy, just says fun, great work!

Thanks Josh, that's the exact feel I was going for.

6 hours ago, Bucky said:

Looks just like some of the real ones I saw back when they were all the rage!

I built one of these kits a couple years ago. It is neat, fun kit to tinker with.

Thank you Keith. It is a kit that offers a generous number of building options.  I have one more of these in my stash which I'm thinking about building as a competition sand racer.

Thank you all for your comments, they mean a lot to me.

David G.

Got to smile when ever you see a Manx. I like the attention to the chassis and engine details. The swing axels aren't well done in this kit. The flower decales are a perfect addition, you could hardly find one with out them way back when. 

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool, what a great "period piece." Well done and model on! B)

Thanks Snake, I'm glad you like it.

18 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Cool!

Thanks Chris.

18 hours ago, espo said:

Got to smile when ever you see a Manx. I like the attention to the chassis and engine details. The swing axels aren't well done in this kit. The flower decales are a perfect addition, you could hardly find one with out them way back when. 

Thank you David. You're right about the swing axles but once the body is on, it's not too big a deal.

12 hours ago, PatW said:

SUPERB! I think I've made seven of these kits and one from a resin body from Jimmy Flintstone, so very well done.

Thank you Pat. Seven? Wow! I think I remember one or two of them.

Thanks to all.

David G.

It has become a tradition of mine that once I complete a model, if possible, I take a photo of it in my display case.

I actually completed this model before I had my display case but it has spent some time in there, so here we go.

Manx_12_11.jpg.24a65c3bd922e1d21c661d162dc325f3.jpg

Regards,

David G.

22 hours ago, afx said:

Very nice.

Thanks JC

19 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That's a cool little buggy David! I bought one of these years ago. But, never have got around to building it.

Thank you Roger. It's a fun kit, you should crack into it.

13 hours ago, PatW said:

Yes a few at the annual meeting of the MK18 (our postcode) Buggy Club.

photo-th.jpg

Some are Airfix, resin, etc. And of course a few Manx's!

Ah, I remember that photo now. That is quite a collection!  Thanks for posting it Pat.

David G.