Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section

mustang1989

Yes it is true that I've got another Maverick build in the works but I just couldn't help myself when I saw AMT/ Round 2 come out with their newest re-pop of an old fave of mine. After this whole 262 build I've just about made my mind up that the next kit I'll be taking on will be the latest release of AMT's '67 Mustang by Round 2. The kit has alot going for it in the fact that there's updated decals, cleaner molds and pad printed tires.

and I managed to get a small PE fret for it as well..

I've been wanting to build one of these anyhow since I owned 3 different '67's . My last one was my favorite as it had a 351W with a 4spd and 3.55 gears and it just so happened to be the same Acapulco Blue that the fastback on the box top is. Fun car and I had a LOT of fun driving it through the years.

This is the only picture I can find of the engine as of right now and this is in car #2. A 351W from a '69 Mach 1 with 4 barrel heads, Comp Cams 280H cam, MSD Unilite Ignition and a Holley 650 Double Pumper. It also had 11:1 compression. Note to everybody out there that knows anything about cars. NEVER do that on the street. You're guaranteed to be plagued with detonation problems unless you run HIGH octane fuel all the time. (98 or better). This engine did make this car haul like a scaled assed ape though.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2

I know about the model that you have since I have built and rebuilt it over the years.  The first time was as a cheap knockoff of the Bullitt Mustang.  The rebuild turned it into the car driven by the late Robert Urich as Spenser in Spenser: The Judas Goat and Spenser: A Savage Place.  It's close, but not quite like it.  I wonder if the molds were really cleaned up or are they the original molds untouched?  I like the stance that is on the boxart, but my old build sat on its rear honches with the nose in the air.

DSCN0025.JPG.db28a0d5f826f0e77f96d70562b47433.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, slusher said:

Joe, my friend you know I am on board following..

Thanks for following along good buddy Carl.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, deuces wild said:

I have a couple from some years back and I was wondering how easy it is to stuff an FE in one of these.... Like from the '60 Starliner or '62 T'bird kits...???🤔😁

I'm not sure. I built the AMT GT500 one time and it's pretty much the same kit with a big block in it but can't remember how tough that one was to fit in there. 

On 7/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, Pete68 said:

Nice 1.1 I’m in. 

Thanks Lee!! Glad to have you on board. 

I built one of these back in 03 and the wheel tire offering in the kit wasn't all that. Tires were a wonky size and the car just sat weird. The tires that are in this kit are of different (and appealing at that) size with stamped white lettering on them so that's already a plus.

3 hours ago, Beans said:

Definitely following this one.  I can always use more mustangs to build.

Thanks Joe! Glad to have you along as well. 

Edited by mustang1989

I started out on the engine in which I like how the basic engine layout is done. A one piece engine block with a separate oil pan which is a good thing because there is less of a seam line going down the middle of the bellhousing, oil pan and down the front of the engine between the intake manifold and timing cover. In the foreground you'll see the two parts that I just CANNOT use. This aint no P-51 Mustang so out goes the four bladed prop and I'm still trying to figure out just what in the hell they were thinking in regards to the carburetor. Man..........c'mon Round 2. The distributor is also a little weird looking so I may switch that out as well. The one other issue that I have with the engine is that it doesn't have an oil filter. To me this was a big deal but may not be to some folks. But................there's nowhere to put it either because the engine mount bosses cover the exact area where the filter is supposed to go. Looks like that part will be skipped on this build.

All of the engine parts needed cleaning up but the exhaust manifolds were the areas that needed the most. When cleaning these up with the X-acto blade you've gotta be careful because this plastic is REALLY soft. You can take off more than you want quicker than you're ready for if you're not careful. Just a heads up to anyone out there that wants to build this kit.

Additionally, on the back side of the exhaust manifolds are what looks like casting protrusions towards the front of each manifold and they may very well be BUT......in test fitting the manifolds to the cylinder head with the head fitted onto the engine block these protrusions also serve as a standoff which steadies positions them about where they are supposed to be in relation to the manifold exhaust outlets. So...................I left em in place.

• Like 1

The flashing on the exhaust manifolds aren't all that bad really. Looking at an OEM exhaust manifold most are cast in a two part mold and oddly enough the factory ridge is in almost the exact same place as the kits flashing. Usually a light scraping with a #11 and it's good to go. I agree, that fan has to go. Look on some of the other parts trees for the oil filter. They were usually mounted on the drivers side of the block. You had a tuff looking little Mustang coupe. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, espo said:

The flashing on the exhaust manifolds aren't all that bad really. Looking at an OEM exhaust manifold most are cast in a two part mold and oddly enough the factory ridge is in almost the exact same place as the kits flashing. Usually a light scraping with a #11 and it's good to go. I agree, that fan has to go. Look on some of the other parts trees for the oil filter. They were usually mounted on the drivers side of the block. You had a tuff looking little Mustang coupe. 

Thanks Dave!! I'll give that a shot with the oil filter. Couldn't remember what side of the engine the filter was on but that's what I get for not checking out references. lol 

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

I always enjoy a good scale Mustang build. I have built a few in my day, and have a few more in the stash.

Are you planning to turn this one into a notchback coupe?

Thanks Keith. I'll be going with the fastback version on this. I had a coupe in real life but always wanted a fastback so I'll be doing a 1:1 "what if" with same size wheels & tires all the way around. 

Well .....in seeing Mikes example above and given the fact that I've built one of these somewhere around 15 years ago and I remembered that the stance was a nose high look.......I decided to do a mock up to check everythign out and it was just what I expected.....it has a nose high look to it.  I have a spare AMT GT-350 in the stash so I cut the necessary sprues from the trees and mocked everything up just to check. Man.....there's gonna need to be some fancy footwork to straighten this out if I'm going to get this thing to look like 1.) the box top (which is severely misleading if a builder thinks that this kit will build up just like the picture) and 2.) look like I want it to look personally.

On a couple of other notes.....

1.) If you've never built one of these, pay attention to the attachment wheel retainers (that I have marked "R" for rear and "F" for front. They are different sizes meaning the rear retainer has a larger hole for the axle then the front does for the spindle.

2.) The box top shows Firestone Wide Oval Tires and the kit has these Super Sports instead. Not a game changer but hey.....put what's ON the box IN the box. C'mon!!! Same goes for the stance. Just sayin'.  KGNEu4

The OOB stance:

Y7Y7Rk.jpg

mhMKGt.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

On 7/19/2021 at 11:06 AM, mrmike said:

I totally agree with you on this!, Joe!  I'm looking forward to your progress on this build!

Thanks Mike!! Glad you're tagging along. 

50 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

Gotta love some Mustang, I'll be following along, might help me get going on mine.

Lookin' good Rob! Happy to have you here as well. 

Did some work stance wise this morning. The front got some re-positioning of the front spindles, a little sanding here and a little drilling there. All the rear springs needed was a slight re-arching. Now it's starting to look more like I want it to with a slight forward rake.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also found me some BONUS SHOTS of my old car!!!!!  I'm currently doing a bathroom renovation to our master bathroom and needed some tools that were hidden away in the "house toolbox" by my wife. While looking for the tools I found a small plastic box with.......a whole load of pictures of my old blue Mustang PLUS a slew of negatives that I'll be taking to a photo developer here in town to have pictures printed up with. Frickin' SCORE!!!! 

Here are those missing pictures of my '69 Mach 1 351W in my '67 while it was under construction. Man.....I haven't seen these things in 10 years. Now.....what tha hell were they doing in the dang tool box for? ORSAY9.gif

VWqGpw.jpg

xcgqoA.jpg

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Stance looks great , Joe.   Who really remembers but they was together and protected and not thrown out buddy..

Thanks Carl and right you are pal. I'll be taking the negatives to get processed sometime this week and should have some more pictures up of the 1:1 car. REALLY stoked to get those back.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:55 AM, espo said:

Great find on the pictures and the negatives. You might think about a little scrap book for your Mustang. Like the stance on your build. 

Thanks Dave!! I've already got one....I just didn't have these pictures in there yet. lol .

On 7/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, TransAmMike said:

Very nice car, grrr8 looking family.  Your build is looking cool!!👌

Thanks Mike! 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, gbtr6 said:

Following this one. My son has an Acapulco Blue ‘67 coupe. His first car. I got a resin coupe conversion and built his car. The PE is really good too. 

Perry

748A47D7-FCEB-4B5A-A988-7AADCE94CB94.jpeg

Good looking build and good looking 1:1 Perry!!! 

On 7/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, TooOld said:

I'm following too , this kit is on my "to do" list !

Thanks Bob!! It's been on mine now for 10 years. lol 

It's been a while since I've posted an update so I thought I'd give one here. The chassis and proper stance has been the topic of building over the course of the last couple of weeks. One of the things that surprised me was the Fords use of red oxide primer on the bottom side of these cars. Never saw any of that on any of mine but hey....by the time I got those cars it was a good 25 years on down the line. lol

Just an FYI. I did end up getting ahold of Round 2 and asking for the proper Wide Oval white lettered tires. I talked to what sounded like a kid on the phone and it didn't appear that he knew too awful much about the product but was willing to help out. We'll see what I get in the mail.

Chassis in progress without the exhaust on just yet:

Speaking of exhaust systems, I'll be starting on that next so I can get the chassis part of this build behind me. One thing I notice alot of times on the bottom side of completed auto builds is the presence of seams on the exhaust pipes. These tend to be overlooked by some modelers so I thought I'd point these seams out on the exhaust pipes in this kit.

I posted this on other forums and have to chose my audience when covering stuff like this but just in case there's anyone out there looking on that hasn't considered or hasn't thought of fixing the exhaust then I'll cover this in detail.

This is freshly cut from the sprue so you can still see the sprue attachment point but check out those nasty seams on the exhaust pipes. Those......will be disappearing soon. More updates coming over the next few days on this subject.....

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section