Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section

mustang1989

Ya the exhaust seems on kits are kind of a pain to deal with but they really are pretty obvious if not corrected. I like the Flexi-file that uses a ribbon of sanding plastic running between the handle ends. This lets you get into a lot of hard to reach areas even before the part is removed from the parts tree.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:34 AM, Painted Black said:

Chassis looks good.. Justa side note, kit comes with power steering suspension,  but no psi pump!!

Thanks Rob. I hadn't thought about that for some strange reason but you're right. May haveta see if I can source a belt set up with a power steering pump. I'll be looking into this and thanks for pointing that out. I should know better as auto repair is what I do for a living. lol 

23 hours ago, espo said:

Ya the exhaust seems on kits are kind of a pain to deal with but they really are pretty obvious if not corrected. I like the Flexi-file that uses a ribbon of sanding plastic running between the handle ends. This lets you get into a lot of hard to reach areas even before the part is removed from the parts tree.  

Thanks for your comments Dave. Good note on working on the exhaust system with the parts sprue still attached to the exhaust. Lots easier to work with it would seem......no pun intended. lol 

Just to add to what's been mentioned about exhaust seams, take a look at both ends of the mufflers.  In my experience, many kit mufflers have seams across their fronts and backs that aren't there on the 1:1 items.  Quick, easy fix.

Another thought:  many AMT kits seem to have an issue with a wider than stock front track, making the wheels and tires stick out past the edges of the fenders.  

mcm24.jpg.8c05284091548ed7fc89148371410c20.jpg

Notice how the rear tires are tucked in under the fender flare?

Here's a real one:

mcm26.jpg.64350aebb382689ec3f52596eb5a405f.jpg

I'll leave it up to you guys building these cars, but I would need to find a way to correct that before I started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Just to add to what's been mentioned about exhaust seams, take a look at both ends of the mufflers.  In my experience, many kit mufflers have seams across their fronts and backs that aren't there on the 1:1 items.  Quick, easy fix.

Another thought:  many AMT kits seem to have an issue with a wider than stock front track, making the wheels and tires stick out past the edges of the fenders.  

mcm24.jpg.8c05284091548ed7fc89148371410c20.jpg

Notice how the rear tires are tucked in under the fender flare?

Here's a real one:

mcm26.jpg.64350aebb382689ec3f52596eb5a405f.jpg

I'll leave it up to you guys building these cars, but I would need to find a way to correct that before I started.

Heya Monty. Already addressed both concerns. I built this kit pretty close to 20 years ago and I noticed that. Terrible TERRIBLE look when built too so I didn't want to repeat the mistakes of the past. Thanks for the heads up though brutha.

20 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Heya Monty. Already addressed both concerns. I built this kit pretty close to 20 years ago and I noticed that. Terrible TERRIBLE look when built too so I didn't want to repeat the mistakes of the past. Thanks for the heads up though brutha.

I should'a figured you'd be way ahead of the curve on this. 

I don't have this kit yet, but for future reference, what's the solution to the track width issue?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Monty said:

I should'a figured you'd be way ahead of the curve on this. 

I don't have this kit yet, but for future reference, what's the solution to the track width issue?

I did two things. One to lower the stance and one to address the track offset issue. I cut the spindles off and relocated them higher with some plastic rod I had in the stash on the steering knuckles to lower it and while the spindles were off I sanded the mounting area for the spindle back to the pivot points on the knuckle to take care of the offset. It puts the tire back under the fender where it's supposed to be.

If you look closely in this picture you can see what I'm talking about.

Edited by mustang1989

On 8/3/2021 at 5:03 PM, Monty said:

Thanks!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from this.  

Build on!

I've worked with this chassis numerous times already so I'm used the "tricks" involved to get them to "behave". lol 

Got some work on the engine done. Still need to come back over the engine with a semi gloss coat though. Here's a quick mock up of where I'm at right now.....

spacer.png

Great to see you back on this category Joe!  It seems that your little detour in the aerial category did not affect your talent for building cars... 😊   The '67 Mustang Fastback is one of my favorites, so your topic is very informative and will give us good feedback on the kit.  Sorry for not being more active these days, things will pick up in the next few weeks but I'll be back from time to time to appreciate your progress my friend!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great to see you back on this category Joe!  It seems that your little detour in the aerial category did not affect your talent for building cars... 😊   The '67 Mustang Fastback is one of my favorites, so your topic is very informative and will give us good feedback on the kit.  Sorry for not being more active these days, things will pick up in the next few weeks but I'll be back from time to time to appreciate your progress my friend!

Glad to have you in here Francis. Been a while since I've been in here and it's also been a while since I've talked to you. Hope all is going well on your end brother.

Went out of town for a quick getaway this last weekend with my wife and had a GREAT time just out and about with absolutely no demands on our time. Life's been crazy this year with one thing to do after another and it was sure nice to take a break together. 

Now that we're back home, I am glad to be building on this project again. 

This mornings progress. Still need to paint the breather cap on the rocker cover and the alternator bracket is NOT correct BUT...... I needed to do something with it to keep it from becoming the "mysterious floating alternator". I added a bolt head to the front of the alternator to simulate a through bolt into the adjustment bracket. I'm actually good with this as it adds another touch to the engine. Ignition & charging system electrical wiring coming next......

spacer.png

Thanks fellas. Managed to find some additional bench time last night which doesn't always happen....but....I'll take it. Just puts me that much further ahead on the build.

As of last night I've got the engine electrical all done. Now the only thing I don't really care for is the belt but with enough other stuff around the engine when it gets dropped into the engine bay hopefully there'll be enough distraction to divert attention away from it. Going to have start working on a new way to replicate the whole belt/ pulley system on my engine builds.

9e8Cpd.jpg

On 8/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, mrmike said:

Great looking engine, Joe!  I wouldn't worry about the fan belt too much.  You just happen to be focused on it, so it does stand out to you.

Thanks Mike!! I do appreciate the encouraging words pal. 

On 8/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

A model of a real Mustang instead of that E thingy that Ford are now selling!

Right??!! 

16 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Wow Joe, I almost missed this build, I normally lurk the Drag forums, waiting for that Maverick to show up. As usual it looks fantastic. I’ll be following this one now. 

Thanks Roger!! I'm still gathering up the gumption to start on that Maverick. I've got this build and another aircraft build and then I'll be hopping back on that one.

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section