Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section

mustang1989

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Engine progress to date. Gotta touch up one or two more areas and this part will be done. Will be moving on to interior next.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Good looking engine! I have this same kit in my stash so this is inspiring! Keep it up

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alan barton said:

So nice to see smoothly flowing plug leads!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan. I didn't want to overdo it with the plug wire boots. Too much and they look clunky.

10 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Wow nice work adding all the smaller details ! 

Thank you Jeff!! 

Finished the engine up this morning aside from a wingnut that I have to fabricate and put on the air cleaner.

Glamour shots before she gets tucked away till a later part of the build.

It's pretty close to my original 351W that I had waaay back when:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, mustang1989 said:

Thanks fellas. Managed to find some additional bench time last night which doesn't always happen....but....I'll take it. Just puts me that much further ahead on the build.

As of last night I've got the engine electrical all done. Now the only thing I don't really care for is the belt but with enough other stuff around the engine when it gets dropped into the engine bay hopefully there'll be enough distraction to divert attention away from it. Going to have start working on a new way to replicate the whole belt/ pulley system on my engine builds.

9e8Cpd.jpg

Hey Joe, sorry I didn't see your build on this sooner my Friend.  As usual, grrrreat looking little 289👌

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Beans said:

Wow,  what the heck gauge wire did you use for that alternator wiring?    All the extra wiring detail looks amazing.

I keep whatever scrap wire I can find Joe. In this case I used a strand of four wires from a piece of automotive electrical wiring and kind of twisted it all together except for the last inch or so of the strand which I separated out into four different leads. I painted coat after coat of semi gloss black onto the twisted together part to simulate a black electrical tape wound harness and painted the ends different colors and routed them to where they were supposed to go. I can elaborate more on it if you'd like.

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hey Joe, sorry I didn't see your build on this sooner my Friend.  As usual, grrrreat looking little 289👌

No worries Mike and thanks!!! I've gotta go check out your builds man. 

3 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Nice Mustang project Joe. 

'Preciate you stoppin in and commenting brother Dan. Sorry I didn't get back to you today. I hit that section I was talking about and then after I made it back to work got snowed under. Great talking to you again brother.

Edited by mustang1989

11 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I keep whatever scrap wire I can find Joe. In this case I used a strand of four wires from a piece of automotive electrical wiring and kind of twisted it all together except for the last inch or so of the strand which I separated out into four different leads. I painted coat after coat of semi gloss black onto the twisted together part to simulate a black electrical tape wound harness and painted the ends different colors and routed them to where they were supposed to go. I can elaborate more on it if you'd like.

Thanks.  I understand the connection part, just have a hard time finding anything smaller than the 32 gauge I use for spark plug wire, especially with any color to it.  

Thanks for the description as well.  I am going to have to go scrounging for wire.  You have inspired me to do more detail on my next engine.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beans said:

Thanks.  I understand the connection part, just have a hard time finding anything smaller than the 32 gauge I use for spark plug wire, especially with any color to it.  

Thanks for the description as well.  I am going to have to go scrounging for wire.  You have inspired me to do more detail on my next engine.

Here's the spark plug wire that I use Joe. Some folks use different stuff but this is what works for me.   Lex's Scale Modeling Ignition Spark Plug Wire 5 Pack 1/24-25. | eBay

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Joe, brother I am sorry about that..

LOL!!! If that the worst thing you can call me then I'm doing good Carl. lol 

2 hours ago, Beans said:

Cool.  Thanks!  Did you paint the ends for the boots?

On this one yes but on most builds I slide some spark plug wire boots onto the wires.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for being out for so long. Just have had ALOT going on in my personal world at the moment. 

Engines and interiors are my favorite parts of car building however I'm not liking the interior of this one as much as others. This one has some rather difficult spots particularly when it comes to the replication of some of the chrome/ aluminum plating trim.

The door panel for these cars with the deluxe interior package looks like this:

mump_0708_05_z-1967_mustang_shelby_gt500

Started with the OOB door panel. Here it is mocked up in my GT-350 spare kit just to show what we're working with here for those of you who haven't built this kit yet.

That door handle presents a nasty obstacle when trying to apply BMF to the brushed aluminum insert. After two failed attempts botching it up I just decided to remove the dang door handles and re-create the pockets that they go in so I could insert the metal ones that I ordered from Teds Modeling Marketplace later.

The efforts paid off.

Then came the addition of the chrome strip around the perimeter of the door panel insert as well as the addition of the mirror control lever and bezel/ retainer. Now we're just waiting on those door handles. 

Thanks you guys. I more than appreciate all the good feedback.

7 hours ago, landman said:

Wonderful, just wonderful. I had a '67 as well and I also built a model of it. Must come with Mustang ownership.😜

LOL!!! I'm just wondering how come it took me so long. lol Thanks Pat....and I do remember your Mustang. Didn't know that you sold 'er off though.

Got the door handles installed and polished them up since they're metal and installed them. Gives the panels a great 3D look and you can see the reflection of the handles in the door trim which I thought was a good touch.

Sq51yV.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Now in Under Glass Section