Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a clear spray I can use over craft acrylic paints?

I painted the interior of a model using some of the inexpensive Hobby Lobby acrylic craft paints (Apple Barrel, Ceramcoat, etc.)  I'd like to spray some semi-gloss or flat clear over the paint to help protect it.

I do not have an airbrush, so I was wondering if there were any brands of aerosol spray paints that would work on the acrylic?

Thanks,

Bart

If I were in your shoes, I'd grab any kind of matte, semigloss, or flat rattlecan that was handy (I have some Krylon on hand, for example), and lay a mist coat or two on. Maybe three or four mist coats. In my experience, laying many of these paints on "wet" or too heavy results in them drying too glossy, or fogged/milky, or with the flattening agent clumping and collecting into white spots or streaks. Light coats should work for you fine. 

Hobby Lobby has there own brand of acrylic clears that work great with these hobby brand paints. There in the same ailse that the hobby paints are in just on the other end. They have the 3 kinds, Gloss, Matte and Semi Gloss. I use them all the time and they don't hurt the paint in the least. Also reasonable priced compared to the major brands.

7 hours ago, bh1701 said:

I painted the interior of a model using some of the inexpensive Hobby Lobby acrylic craft paints (Apple Barrel, Ceramcoat, etc.)  I'd like to spray some semi-gloss or flat clear over the paint to help protect it.

I do not have an airbrush, so I was wondering if there were any brands of aerosol spray paints that would work on the acrylic?

Thanks,

Bart

A couple light coats of just about any brand or type of clear should work . I mix my own desired sheen of acrylic varnish clears, a combo of Matt and satin depending on  the interior material in mind and I airbrush ( could be brushed too). But I've shot about every kind of clear over craft paint with no issues. As mentioned above be mindful of the primer if used and don't flood the paint on. Flats especially do better misted on.

Thanks everyone! I went to Hobby Lobby to get some Clear Satin Acrylic spray today. I'll do some tests on scrap plastic parts before spraying the actual model interior. Starting with a few light coats as suggested before applying a heavier coat. I do not need to worry about primer with this one; the acrylic paint was painted directly onto the plastic.

Bart

I've used Rustoleum Gray primer, craft paint from Hobby Lobby, and Rustoleum Clear Gloss.  I've also used Tamiya TS-13 and Pledge Revive it floor gloss.  You can obtain a matt or Simi gloss finish with light coats.

I custom paint Star Wars figures and use the same craft paints you do with no primer coat. I use whatever the cheapest flat clear I find at our local hardware store and do not have any problems. You could always do some spoon tests to be sure. Good luck.