Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro , continued

The first 4 pages of this wip is posted over in the model car wip section. That's kind of a broad area so I thought since this is a race car, it should have been put here to begin with. My apologies to the guys that frequent that forum . Here is what I have so far. The parts you see are removable, so the fit right now will be improved when they are actually installed for good, after everything has been painted. I will now go on to the wheels. 

74camwipsfrenco1.jpg

74camwipsfrenco2.jpg

74camwipsfrenco3.jpg

74camwipsfrenco4.jpg

• Like 1

the spokes are filled with putty and then shaped like wedges to make the wheels look more like the real wheel that was used on the subject of this build. i know the wheels wont be exactly the same but I think they will work. 

74camwheel4.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

22 minutes ago, DoctorLarry said:

Mark, why not just use resin Minilites? There are several sellers that make them.

There's also a really nice set in the AMT Sunbeam Tiger kit.

A set in the MPC '73 Mustang kit too. Not quite as nice but easier to find.

The resins I found were 1/24 scale and finding a sunbeam tiger kit or a 73 mustang kit would be near to impossible and costly. Anyhoo,  here are  some more pics. I have some more sanding and adjusting to make them look more alike. I just like making parts more then finding parts to buy that may or may not work on the build i'm doing. The wheels on the Grand Sport I did turned out pretty good, so I'm hoping these will be passable.

74camwipsdithwh1.jpg

74camwipsdithwh2.jpg

74camwipsdithwh3.jpg

74camwipsdithwh4.jpg

74camwipsdithwh5.jpg

74camwipsdithwh6.jpg

9 hours ago, Bainford said:

Cool stuff, Mark. You're getting right into it. Scratchbuilding can be very satisfying work.

Thanks, Trevor. Yes, I really enjoy doing it. Started on the 4th wheel today. When I get them finished, I will move on to the back of the model ,where I will have to make a tailight panel, some tailights,  a rear bumper, and a rear spoiler.

13 hours ago, gks1964 said:

Very nicely done Mark!!

Thanks, Gerald. I got one of the wheels drilled out between the spokes . At first I was just going to paint that area black, but I think it looks a lot better with the plastic removed between the spokes.

Got the wheels pretty much finished. Just wanted to put some gray surface primer on them to make the final adjustments on them. The top left one was the first one I did, so it will need the most adjustment to it. First one is always the roughest.

74camwipsalfofi1.jpg

Edited by MarkJ
  • Like 1