Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro , continued

4 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Mark, thank you for doing this research. I definitely will try this when I start building again next winter. I was looking for an alternative to brush painting trim with my hands being less stable as time passes...

I look forward to future progress on this fascinating build of your's.

Pierre,  I have a spare body that I do experimenting on . Its an old 63 Chevy body with probably 6 different coats of paint on it. it wasn't a kit but a promo pre-built model, kind of the precursor to the  die casts we have today, except they were plastic. . I thought I would use the pen I chose, on it, to see how the trim turns out. That chisel tip flows the paint nicely, so I'm hoping for some good results. Thanks for the kind comments on the build. I hope it's worthy of them, when it's finished.

Tried out the pen and was pretty happy with it. If I had sanded the mouldings first, I would have gotten better results, but I didn't want to go to that much trouble. . Some parts of the mouldings were smooth, so that's what I focused in on. I also started on the rear bumper. Still have to add the bottom part of it and the rubber pad. Which wont actually be rubber. Remember this green body is just a test body. It will never be a model.

74camwipstrchpe1.jpg

74camwipstrchpe2.jpg

74camwipstrchpe3.jpg

74camwipstrchpe4.jpg

74camwipstrchpe5.jpg

Hey Mark. I was looking through the WIP and have to say your scratch building is impressive. I’m learning stuff from your work... Way to stick with it on those wheels, I think the final results are pretty convincing. Those tail light lenses are fantastic! I also use scrap plastic like you, in fact that is my current project on the Daytona Coupe (update soon?) ....

I was wondering what you used for the piping around those lenses?

Cool stuff, keep it up👍

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Hey Mark. I was looking through the WIP and have to say your scratch building is impressive. I’m learning stuff from your work... Way to stick with it on those wheels, I think the final results are pretty convincing. Those tail light lenses are fantastic! I also use scrap plastic like you, in fact that is my current project on the Daytona Coupe (update soon?) ....

I was wondering what you used for the piping around those lenses?

Cool stuff, keep it up👍

Thanks Josh, for the props on the build. The piping on the taillight lenses  is Evergreen polystyrene .020  rod, purchased at Hobby Lobby. I tried to sand a flat side on the front to try to more simulate the real lenses. Those things are so small they are very hard to work on and not mess them up.  I agree the scrap plastic bottle and other scrap plastic materials works great for a lot of things. Plus they are basically free. Looking forward  to seeing  more on your Daytona coupe.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:54 PM, MarkJ said:

The first 4 pages of this wip is posted over in the model car wip section.

You can ask a moderator to merge that topic with this one (or vice-versa) and move it all back to this section if need be:

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

You can ask a moderator to merge that topic with this one (or vice-versa) and move it all back to this section if need be:

Thanks, Casey. That would be great, but I don't want to bother anybody with it. If they could move that first part in model car wips in front of this part over here in this forum that would be great. 

Mark, I love that you always take the more difficult route! ...It gives us the chance to see some cool and unexpected stuff.

I went over and checked out the beginnings of this WIP in the “model cars” forum.... The grill looks awesome🤠👍

3 hours ago, Venom said:

Mark, I love that you always take the more difficult route! ...It gives us the chance to see some cool and unexpected stuff.

I went over and checked out the beginnings of this WIP in the “model cars” forum.... The grill looks awesome🤠👍

Thanks, Josh. I'm in no hurry, so  however long it takes , so be it. Thanks for the props on the grill. It's not quite right, but eventually it will be partially hidden by a debris screen.

I had to make a jig to get the angle right for the rear quarter fender flare coming out of the body, I made a 1/25 scale picture of the real car from directly behind to get the angle and also how far it sticks out of the body. I haven't done that dimension yet because I wanted to finish the rear bumper. The bumper is made to remove so these are  just  mock up pictures. I will do the same process for the front fender flares. The rear spoiler is very bendable but I will get it lined back up before I paint it. It gets moved around a lot when I'm handling the body to do the mods on it.

74camwipsmaflji1.jpg

74camwipsmaflji2.jpg

74camwipsmaflji3.jpg

74camwipsmaflji4.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

9 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Most impressive my friend. I have always been afraid to try extensive body mods like you do but you inspire me to give it a try. Would you mind sharing what putty materials you use?

fantastic work!

Pierre, thanks for the kind words again. I use the Tamiya white putty that comes in a tube. I try to use it sparingly because it will shrink eventually.  And if you use it in a deep large area a few months after the model is finished you will have a noticeable depression in that area. I try to only use it for seams or very small areas to blend two pieces of styrene together.  I hope you  do some body mods in a wip. I surely will be following along. 

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Nice bumber Mark, been watching your scratch building and progress friend".

Thanks, Carl. I appreciate your interest in the build. I think I might finally have the bumper where I can install it in the correct position.

The bumper is installed using the rod in tube method I used on the front bumper. Its a loose fit, so  when its finally installed for good, it wont be touching the body like you see it is now. I think I'm pretty much through with the bumper except for some detail sanding, Now on to the fender flares and completion of the body, so I can move on to the interior.

74camwipsrebufi1.jpg

74camwipsrebufi2.jpg

74camwipsrebufi3.jpg

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

The bumper is installed using the rod in tube method I used on the front bumper. Its a loose fit, so  when its finally installed for good, it wont be touching the body like you see it is now. I think I'm pretty much through with the bumper except for some detail sanding, Now on to the fender flares and completion of the body, so I can move on to the interior.

74camwipsrebufi1.jpg

74camwipsrebufi2.jpg

74camwipsrebufi3.jpg

Keep on keepin' on my Friend.   Great work👌