Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro , continued

14 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Hey Mark, I am totally amazed by all the fab work you do on your models. It inspires me to try to stretch myself a bit. I purchased Tamiya white today, yeah!

Not ready to get into decal making though, I would not know where to start.

Your fabulous work inspires me my friend!

Pierre, If I can make decals, you can make decals. You just need a vector graphics program like Photoshop. I was lucky . I got my Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0 bundled with the scanner I bought back in the 90's. So it was basically free. It just takes a while playing with it to take an image from the internet and turn it into a decal image that is 600 pixels per inch. you then print it on decal paper, future the decal paper with a brush and then cut them out and put them on the model. the program basically cleans up the image so you can use it as a decal. You just have to find side shots of cars so you will have a flat image to work with. It also helps to have a Laser printer with a ghost white printer cartridge, so you can make white background decals to place your color decals on top of. If not the decal disappears on a dark colored car . If its a white car the decal works fine without the white background decal. I hear that vector graphics programs nowadays are very expensive. You could do it ,my friend, if you really want to. Sometimes you just cant find the decals you want, because the professional decal maker doesn't choose to make them. There are some out there that will do a one off special sheet for you but they are few and far between. Dont rule  out making your own, you could make it happen. Thanks for the kind words.

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I like the beginning of the dash work..

Thanks, Carl. It's pretty close to what I was looking for. When you see the roll  cage you're going to think I messed up . The right side of the cage is not close to the right door at all. I Have no idea why they did it that way, but I'm going to have to do it. I think it has to do with the unibody construction because they  used the stock Camaro to make this race car. Seems pretty unsafe to me.

Don't know if you guys use this trick when building your cages, or whenever you need to bend a tube, but putting wire in it helps keep it from breaking when bent and also helps you keep the bend you choose by keeping the tube from rebounding to straight. Got started on the cage. I know it looks off center, but I will explain why I think the real cars cage was made this way, when the model is finished, and I give the story of the build in the under glass section, when finished.

74camwipsstcabu1.jpg

74camwipsstcabu2.jpg

74camwipsstcabu3.jpg

74camwipsstcabu4.jpg

74camwipsstcabu5.jpg

74camwipsstcabu6.jpg

30 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

What a neat way to do a roll cage. What sizes of evergreen tube and type/size of wire do you use. Such a great idea!

Thanks for sharing sir.

Thanks Carl and Pierre. Pierre, the tube is 3/32 inch evergreen tube and the wire is just an old roll that has no marking on it,  but it fit inside the tube so I used it. Got a lot more done yesterday and will try to add more photos today.

55 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

That interior is coming along really nice!

What material are you using for the black seat padding?

Thanks, Pierre. Its a sheet of thin foam rubber called Silly Winks. Comes in 12x18 inch, 2mm thick sheets. Have no idea where the name comes from but I purchased them at Hobby Lobby a while back. They might not sell them anymore. I installed them with Elmers glue, and trimmed them with a small scissors. 

15 minutes ago, slusher said:

Impressive scratch building!  Wish I had your talents..

Thanks, Carl. I start out saying, I'm not doing anything to the interior but a roll cage, but always keep adding extra stuff that you really cant see that much when the model is finished. I guess I'm scared  to finish the darned thing. Afraid of what it might look like.