Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro , continued

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Need to clean it up a bit and prime and paint it. The headers were white on the real car. I don't know if it's some kind of porcelain finish or what. Going to try to do the right header today. In the last picture, the header is not installed. it's just placed in position.

74camwipslthedo1.jpg

74camwipslthedo2.jpg

74camwipslthedo3.jpg

Looking great Mark, I may have missed it but what material are you using and what size??

Mike and Pierre, the header tubes are evergreen rod and the collectors are tubes. I will have to get back to you on the size. The rods actually are so small that you can put a 90-degree bend on them, and they won't break. I was surprised how small the tubes of the headers turned out to be, but they fit the 1/25 scale picture of the headers perfectly. Thanks for your interest in the build.

Got the right header almost finished. Just need to fix where the tubes are put together and add a flange where the collector will meet the exhaust pipe. The left header appears to be larger then the right because it actually is for some unknown reason. I might have to do some adjusting if the left one drags the ground. 

74camwipsstrihe1.jpg

74camwipsstrihe2.jpg

74camwipsstrihe3.jpg

74camwipsstrihe4.jpg

I put some putty on the headers to smooth out where they are welded together. I just placed the header next to the engine. it is not installed yet. Don't worry about the fan. i have the blades and will put them back on when I'm through with the engine.

74camwipspurihe1.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well that's bit of a change from the aluminum wire and solder. So how do  you get the rod to keep it shape?

You just bend it with your fingers and keep checking it on the pattern and the 1/16 rod is so skinny that it holds it shape. you make it a little longer than you need it for the section you are doing and then trim it on the pattern to get the right length. Then you put it in place on the sticky side of the tape that holds it in place on the rectangular piece of styrene that goes on the head where the header mounts, and then put the liquid adhesive that dries in about 20 seconds on it. I'm using the micro mark "same stuff". I would recommend using a respirator because the fumes are very strong and give me a sore throat and a cough if I don't. Learned that the hard way. I found that they do warn you on the label about the fumes. To me it's an easier process then using solder or wire. It's hard to glue those materials. Thanks for your interest in the build.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

You just bend it with your fingers and keep checking it on the pattern and the 1/16 rod is so skinny that it holds it shape. you make it a little longer than you need it for the section you are doing and then trim it on the pattern to get the right length. Then you put it in place on the sticky side of the tape that holds it in place on the rectangular piece of styrene that goes on the head where the header mounts, and then put the liquid adhesive that dries in about 20 seconds on it. I'm using the micro mark "same stuff". I would recommend using a respirator because the fumes are very strong and give me a sore throat and a cough if I don't. Learned that the hard way. I found that they do warn you on the label about the fumes. To me it's an easier process then using solder or wire. It's hard to glue those materials. Thanks for your interest in the build.

Thanks Mark. have a great day!!

Thats it, folks. There is no top for the air cleaner. The hood with a duct built into it was the top for the air cleaner. Whenever they opened the hood, they would throw a rag on top of the carb. I'm not going to model the duct in the hood because I have no ref pictures about how it looked.

74camwipsacfido1.jpg

74camwipsacfido2.jpg

74camwipsacfido3.jpg

74camwipsacfido4.jpg

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Really nice carburetor breather, and air filter. I have a feeling more detail is coming..

Thanks, Carl. I can't seem to find the coil in the Corvette kit so I might have to make one, But I think the engine might be complete except for painting it and adding spark plug wires. That's all the plumbing I do. I need to put the blades back on the fan too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Carl. I can't seem to find the coil in the Corvette kit so I might have to make one, But I think the engine might be complete except for painting it and adding spark plug wires. That's all the plumbing I do. I need to put the blades back on the fan too.

a coil is a piece of cake for you…