Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro , continued

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished. Just have to finish the rear axle oil pump. Install the taillight lenses. Install the left front headlight pod. Install the grille. Install the front bumper and air dam. Install the rear bumper. install the back glass straps. Decal the model and then future the model. 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Can't wait to see the final result. The amount of work you had to put into this massive transformation is impressive.

Thanks, Pierre. I thought I would be finished with the build part today, but I'm not pleased with the window net I made and will make a new jig to create another one. So hopefully tomorrow I can decal it.

I know I said no more wip pictures, but I wanted to share the finished tire/wheel assemblies and the loom I made to make the window net. I borrowed Drew Hierwaters  creation from an article he wrote for Scale Auto Magazine. I added a few features to mine to stiffen it up.  This rope type net was used in the seventies. 

74camwipswiscdo1.jpg

74camwipswiscdo2.jpg

74camwipswiscdo3.jpg

74camwipswiscdo4.jpg

74camwipswiscdo5.jpg

16 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Wow, that's taking care of detailing. I don't really understand how you did the last step of the window net but it is fantastic!

I should have explained, that is a printed-out paper version of the real size of the window net, scaled down from a photo of the real net in the car I am building. The loom is an inch tall and wide, and the scale size of the net is about 3/4 of an inch tall and wide. The borders are 1/16 an inch tape I will cut out from some tan masking tape and then paint with white vallejo acrylic primer and paint. I coated the net with elmers glue to get all the threads to adhere to each other. Makes the net stiff and flat but it would fall apart when I take it out of the loom if I didn't. I was thinking about weaving it so to speak using a needle, but the loom is so small that would be impossible for me. Maybe a young guy with an enormous amount of finger dexterity could get it done.

17 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

This is a lot better than my bug screen & tape job. Thanks for sharing this great tip. Don't mind if I copy this on my next project?

As long as your model is from the seventies, it will be great. That's when the rope type window nets were used. You can borrow anything I do. it would be an honor if you did. They might have been used in the eighties too. I'm not really sure.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Wheels and tires plus the window net are impressive, Mark!  Are those the wheels you made? Been a long journey. Looking forward to the under glass pictures..

Thanks, Carl. Yes, those are the wheels I made. I couldn't find any minilites that looked like these in the aftermarket. Too bad P.P.P. doesn't offer them. I started on the decaling yesterday, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

• Like 1

Finished the model yesterday. It took 333 hours or about 8 months to complete it. Probably the longest I have ever spent on one build. Hope to take the finished photos today. I am going to try to use the black mirror effect to do it. If it doesn't turn out well, I will go back to the old light gray poster board method.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Finished the model yesterday. It took 333 hours or about 8 months to complete it. Probably the longest I have ever spent on one build. Hope to take the finished photos today. I am going to try to use the black mirror effect to do it. If it doesn't turn out well, I will go back to the old light gray poster board method.

Congrats Mark! ... Now if only I could get around to finishing mine😟

21 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Waiting with great anticipation. I'm sure it's going to be great!

I can't believe it's finally finished. More pictures are at the under glass for other road racing here, under Bobby Unser and also at Randy Ayres Showroom

74uns7.jpg

Edited by MarkJ