Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

Tiger89

Just completed.  After I learned how much these kits had been selling for at swap meets, I grabbed the recent re-release and put it on the top of my to-build stack.  Except for the door mirror and fire extinguisher, all three models were built straight from the box.  I removed the Galaxie's chassis promo scripts as well as the Falcon's wipers.  MCW Guardsman Blue airbrushed, Duplicolor spray can for Wimbledon White, Tamiya TS54 on the trailer, and Testors Star Spangled Blue for the Falcon.

IMG_8139.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG

IMG_8143.JPG

IMG_8144.JPG

IMG_8141.jpg

• Like 6

Great job David! I love that you used different shades of blue for each. That Galaxie is particularly stunning with the white roof and interior. I thought about getting this re-release for the Falcon but read that it uses the old AMT Mustang funny car chassis and engine which is disappointing. Your Falcon actually looks much better over this chassis than the Mustang IMO.

What a great looking Ford combo! I love all your color choices, very nice work. I picked this re-release up a week or so ago, it's gonna be a while before mine hits the bench but I wanted to grab it before they were all scooped up again. Great job David, hope mine turn out as well as yours.

Beautiful looking combination. Amazing results just using what was in the box and using the OEM paint colors. I'll be getting one or two just for the trailer alone.  One of the reasons I like the Galaxies shade of blue is that it reminds me of a couple of 1:1s that I remember from new. Two guys that worked together building home went together and ordered two identical '64 Galaxies in this color with an all white interiors. They were both 390 4 speed cars and to see the two of them at the same time together was a sight. Your attention to the trim details on each car as well as the trailer really look great. 

Thanks, David.  There's a couple in my AACA club, she's the secretary, he's the treasurer.  When they told me that their first new car was a Guardsman Blue/blue interior '64 Galaxie 500 2-door hardtop, I had to make and give them that model.  When they got it, he laughed, saying that real car was jinxed.  It was wrecked and repaired three times, and finally traded in for a new '66 Ford pickup.

Bob, a couple more of the Falcon on the shelf.  I left the radiator off and the fuel tank is mounted in its place behind the grill.  Didn't do any wiring or plumbing - no steering detail in those kits - they were pretty basic.  I did use the plastic tires, just painted with Duplicolor black primer.  David is right, the best part of this whole box is the car trailer.

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

NICE TO SEE THIS COMBO-KIT BUILT, AND BUILT FOR ALL TO SEE.....I BOUGHT 3 OF THEM IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS, AND SURELY WANT TO DIVE INTO ONE SOON....TASTY DECAL SHEET LENDS ITSELF TO SO MANY JUICY IDEAS AS WELL....THANKS FOR SHARING PICS WITH US.....BEST , ACE...😅