Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis "The Dragster" Monogram Reissue

TooOld

They say they are working on the box art and decals for a couple different versions including the "American" dragster which is what Monogram based the original kit on .  It will be molded in white and release is scheduled for September 2021 .

5 hours ago, alexis said:

1/24 or 1/32?

1:24 scale. The majority of the Monogram Forty Niners were in 1:32 scale, but the dragster was one of two kits that were produced in a larger scale (the Austin-Healey Sprite scaled out closer to 1:26, IIRC).

• Like 1

Thanks, Ken. Other than the Filled Blower Scoop, a nifty car. And that Blower Scoop is 5 minutes with an X-acto knife from being open!

I can wait to see if Atlantis does more than re-pop the original decal sheet. If not, you can always use the extras from the Revell Slingster or AMT Double Drag kit. Both have huge decal sheets with lots of extras.

Added. It will look great next to a Slingster kit.

5 hours ago, alexis said:

I can wait to see if Atlantis does more than re-pop the original decal sheet. If not, you can always use the extras from the Revell Slingster or AMT Double Drag kit. Both have huge decal sheets with lots of extras.

According to an email from Atlantis:

"Below is a test shot shot of the Monogram 1/24 Dragster. It went together great as most Monogram kits do. We are working on some artwork and decals for at least 2 versions. One will be the Californian which the kit was originally based on. The kit will be molded in white!"
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcon

Atlantis refers to the dragster that Monogram originally patterned this kit, "The Californian", owned by Manuel Gonzalez and built for him by a virtual who's who of SoCal race car and hot rod craftsmen in 1959. Allen "Lefty" Mudersbach, a legendary dragster driver and mechanic of the front-engine era,  did the chassis, Bob Sorrell, known for his Indy car and dragster tin work, fashioned the aluminum body and Dean Jeffries did the sharp Pearl White and Candy Red paint. It was definitely state of the art at the time.

From the test shot it's apparent that Monogram actually did a fine job of capturing the original, even if it breaks all the rules of modern kit design (two-piece motor from pan to blower, plastic two-piece whells, free-floating roll cage, etc.). It should respond well to modern modeling techniques and kit-bashing. I'm curious to know what made them decide to do a "historical" version in addition to a re-issue. If they capture that Jeffries paint job with their box art and decals it should definitely help sales. Here are some pics of The Californian:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 2

Bernard, thank you very much for your post. I appreciate the history provided and the pictures. This will probably convince me to get two kits. One as straight from the box build, and one with some additions to make it resemble the Californian. I really appreciate what Atlantis is doing both with this kit and the Mooneyes kit.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, alexis said:

Thanks, Ken. Other than the Filled Blower Scoop, a nifty car. And that Blower Scoop is 5 minutes with an X-acto knife from being open!

Added. It will look great next to a Slingster kit.

Atlantis said on Twitter that it will be in white plastic and decals will be multi versions. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Atlantis said on Twitter that it will be in white plastic and decals will be multi versions. 

"...multi version." That is great news. I'm wondering if one of those versions might be the Californian. Or would that be going into copyright territory?

Yeah, I look forward to this kit.

There is a certain 'Jaunty Attitude' to these old Monogram kits. Revell may have had better details, but somehow the Monogram kits captured the "Animal Spirit" better in many cases. The embody what the Late Sir Thomas Sopwith (yes 'that' Sopwith, of Camel fame) said about Airplane Design. "If it looks Right, it Flies Right". Monogram kits often captured the essence or 'soul' of a particular subject, better than other companies. Part of their early success, I have no doubt.

Even 50/60 years ago there were two kinds of modelers. The AMS Detail Builders and the It Just Looks Right to Me Builders. Revell and Monogram appealed to similar but sometimes different tastes.

This kit will appeal more to the IJLRtM guys, I think. It and the new (Okay, Semi-new) R/M Slingster should look about perfect displayed Side by Side........... I cannot wait to see some of these kits built.

• Like 2

I was looking at the parts in the blue plastic original issue kit trying to figure out what made the Atlantis test shot look as good as it did. Monogram got the chassis details of the Californian pretty right, especially the side rails, hairpins and tie rod. The upper half of the motor is pretty good too. In uniform gray plastic and and photographed at an angle where the rudimentary front axle doesn't show so much, it all looks pretty darn good. The bodywork is "incorrect" compared to The Californian, with the weird vertically extended rear section and the roll over bar brace mounted outside the body shell. Despite this I think if you wanted to make a full detail, accurate replica of The Californian this kit gives you plenty to work with. The chassis could be extended and completed using the supplied frame rails without too much trouble, and even reshaping the body, since it mainly involves tucking it under, is quite doable. 

On 7/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Atlantis refers to the dragster that Monogram originally patterned this kit, "The Californian", owned by Manuel Gonzalez and built for him by a virtual who's who of SoCal race car and hot rod craftsmen in 1959. Allen "Lefty" Mudersbach, a legendary dragster driver and mechanic of the front-engine era,  did the chassis, Bob Sorrell, known for his Indy car and dragster tin work, fashioned the aluminum body and Dean Jeffries did the sharp Pearl White and Candy Red paint. It was definitely state of the art at the time.

From the test shot it's apparent that Monogram actually did a fine job of capturing the original, even if it breaks all the rules of modern kit design (two-piece motor from pan to blower, plastic two-piece whells, free-floating roll cage, etc.). It should respond well to modern modeling techniques and kit-bashing. I'm curious to know what made them decide to do a "historical" version in addition to a re-issue. If they capture that Jeffries paint job with their box art and decals it should definitely help sales. Here are some pics of The Californian:

Thanks for the history on this, Bernard. You have to know that one of these will find its way to my display case!