Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 what is this ?????

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Licensing + rebox of existing kit = easy profit

That is certainly true, but why not use kits that would tie in with Rat Fink better? Round 2 has dozens of hot rod or 50's cars that would make way more sense. Some of which have not been reissued recently. I don't think truck guys are going to buy this version and probably only a limited number of diehard RF collectors will be into this because it really doesn't fit. I can see this being a flop now, but being sought after down the line because it is so weird.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, alexis said:

"Many Unique AMT Features"

What the........? What would those be? Boxart> Decals?

Decal only version of the Rat Fink Truck that just doesn't make any sense, trailer or no trailer.

Well they were many unique Ertl features on the original, but between the new one being a ground up new kit (albeit scanned from the original) and Ertl being another company's brand name...those features are now AMT ones.

It's a quick and cheap way to reissue the kit with minimal investment in some decal art and paper printing (box, instructions, decals). They didn't invest upper 6 figures into this tooling to release it once and hope for the best. It may very well catch someone's eye with the Rat Fink logo who normally doesn't shop truck models, especially with a matching trailer floating around. 

Edited by niteowl7710

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well they were many unique Ertl features on the original, but between the new one being a ground up new kit (albeit scanned from the original) and Ertl being another company's brand name...those features are now AMT ones.

It's a quick and cheap way to reissue the kit with minimal investment in some decal art and paper printing (box, instructions, boxes). They didn't invest upper 6 figures into this tooling to release it once and hope for the best. It may very well catch someone's eye with the Rat Fink logo who normally doesn't shop truck models, especially with a matching trailer floating around. 

What James said.  What we need to realize is that above all else, the model kit business is just that - a business. 

While from our perspective as serious modelers this IH Cabover kit with Roth livery appears as a frivolous or out of touch exercise, from the perspective of the kitmaker, it theoretically will appeal to a completely different target audience and will result in incremental kit sales with a very small up front investment.   And that is very much in our best interests, as it creates incremental financial resources to help fund other newly tooled and modified reissue kit topics....end of business lesson.... :) 

TB 

• Like 2

Well then.

Seems like a strange choice, but I guess there it is. Appeals to the truck builders, appeals to the Rat Fink collectors.

I just see it as being like the Coke kits. Lots of decent subject matter to build, lots of extra decals to go in the spares box.

Now...how about getting that bucket truck done in a 1/25 kit? I'll bet that would be popular, regardless of the decals included!

On 9/15/2021 at 2:54 PM, Casey said:

Suddenly, the IH tractor and matching trailer doesn't seem so bad:

RAT FINK 1990 FORD UTILITY BUCKET TRUCK 1:34 SCALE DIECAST (DUE OCTOBER 2021)

SKU : AW296

Regular price $67.99

AW296_RatFink_1990FordBucketTruck-6_720x.jpg.0563eb6d68f67fc2f3a621ec258a6fd0.jpg

AW296_RatFink_1990FordBucketTruck-2_720x.jpg.79297c677d19d633cf3f2ca616c179c1.jpg

I kind of like it. Not $68 worth, but I definitely like it. Of course, look at my screen name and avatar, LOL.