Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Type 2 - nearly finished

Stefan

hi,

I´m working on 2 Hasegawa Type 2, the delivery van and the Pick-up.

First I must say this kits really suck!

There is nearly no detail on the Chassis and the interior. The chrome is bad and they even have chromed taillights and front sidemarkers with no glass...

The bodys have good shapes, but some sinking marks.

The price for them here is really a joke. I don´t know about how much they are in the US, but here in Germany they´re really expensive.

Thank god i got mine from HLJ :wink:

I think modellers can expect more from a japanese manufacturer. (Or any manufacturer).

Nevertheless,

here are some pics:

rimg0054jv8.jpg

I Lowered the chassis (Both have the same chassis, so the work was equal).

I took the bumpers from the 23 window bus.

rimg0131xn8.jpg

rimg0132or0.jpg

The Bodys have a few sinking marks which needed to be filled.

rimg0197xu9.jpg

I glued the blinker in place and sanded them.

rimg0408rp9.jpg

After painting the bodys I had the problem how to paint the VW-logos...

The decals don´t fit :roll: , I tried to mask them with BMF but that didn´t work either. I masked the outside with Tamiya tape then and the inner parts with liquid masking fluid.

I painted the logos before the clearcoat and worked them over with a fine brush.

I don´t understand why the heck Hasegawa didn´t made them as seperate parts???

This is how they look right now.

I need to add some more details like rearview mirrors...

6436363539396364.jpg

The van is nearly box stock except for partbox tires and the hupcaps which come from the herbie kit (was that from polar lights?).

1280_3538643461306531.jpg

The pick up has the bumpers from the bus and Empi rims which came from the Revell Imp. I made them larger and added also partsbox tires.

More to come...

I know the basic kits are simplified, but yours look great! They're easy to modify and detail.

I'm working on a resin '57 singlecab; AAM's resin body that was done prior to Hasegawa's. Fortunately he did an early '60's body vs. the '67 style in the kit, I'm backdating to a '57 by filling the front turn signals and scratchbuilding them and the taillights. A friend gave me the Hasegawa side/rear gates which are better than the resin pieces. I'm making mine into a mild rat and will also make opening safari windows on the front. Mine will be a bit rusty, with faded paint, a few dents, and it will be lowered in front and use Polar Lights Herbie wheels/tires.

Sounds interesting! Do you have any pics?

I was thinking about safari windows too, but i didn´t felt like it... :? because there is nothing to see in the interior.

Once I will build the 23 window into a more detailed rat. It will have safari windows than

Sounds interesting! Do you have any pics?

I was thinking about safari windows too, but i didn´t felt like it... :? because there is nothing to see in the interior.

Once I will build the 23 window into a more detailed rat. It will have safari windows than

No pics yet; it's on the back burner now (body is mostly in primer) as it was pushed aside by a couple of new kits for reviews and I need to build another IROC Porsche 911 for our show in November. Our themes for '07 are diamonds (cars of '32) and gold (cars of '57), that's why the singlecab will be a '57. I probably won't work on it until November or later now. Actually the safari glass might take some visual weight away from the interior, focus on the glass and not the sparse interior. I'm going to upgrade the seat to the simpler upholstery pattern and split, and the door panels won't be too difficult to make w/sheet material. They're really simple vehicles anyway, the kit glass doesn't fit the resin cab too well so that's why I'm going in a different direction...also will do the sliding side glass.

@ZoomZoom:

You´re right, it might be easy to detail these models, but i´m happy to finish anything since my son was born 12 weeks ago and im not in the mood to do some "difficult" Models, because of lack of time.

I choose japanese kits, because they´re mostly curbside and fit very well. :wink:

It seems these kits are either curbside without much detail , or are full blown highly detailed kits . The funny thing is that often the price paid does not reflect the detail included in the kit .

I picked up a Lamborgini JOTA from Hasagawa on e-bay a couple of weeks ago , and it has to be one of the BEST kits I have ever seen . Right up there with Tamiya and Accurate Miniatures . The same can be said for Fujimi's GT-40 kits , they are a LOT better than most of thier stuff .

I guess when in doubt just ask for advice here as there is a lot of knowledge floating about .

Take care and see you around the clubhouse,

Steve D.

yes those kits are kind of a joke and very expensive to boot. i bought one that had surf motif on the box art but got disappointed when i saw what was inside. i was going to use the fujimi enthusiasts 356 quad cam motor and the wheels and tires from there as well. probably get to this one of these days. it was going to be a sister project to a couple others i have planned: a tamiya karmann ghia that i am going to transplant a mazda rx7 twin turbo rotary motor into and a similar project but with again a quad cam motor (i picked up about 6 of those testors repacks of the fuimi 356 one time real cheap so i have an endless supply of porsche parts) and an abarth porsche resin body i got from scalekraft a few years back. should make a nice trio.

one love

jah bill