Model Cars Magazine Forum

Outlaw E-Type

Joe Handley

Started on that Revell Jaguar XK-E/E-Type I picked up a week ago and decided to put more of an Outlaw or Hot Rod spin on it.  In trying to find a pic of the Dunlop Racing Wheels I wanted to put on it and found this beauty……image.jpeg.bc2ca2e9bf5684a2a18f2cfce03abf9b.jpeg

So, that is how I’m going to approach this build!

These will be the wheels I’m going with and already have on order.

https://uscp-ua.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=637&search=dunlop

image.jpeg.b2bf14dffb76b115397d53421eb7b820.jpeg

The build has been pretty straight forward, I have made the front sheet metal group one piece, turns out the support structure still fits right in so I can paint the parts separately then assemble them. I also shaved the bumpers and gas door….

7543CD7F-146E-418A-B679-62F2F453D52D.jpeg.8ec7cf9160d1e0cc17ec158341c6257c.jpeg0DA9ECE3-6583-41AC-A935-D7049648785D.jpeg.23b606391488ffca1a33a786f707024b.jpeg

though I have built a firewall of sorts since the tank would need to be filled from under the back door.

1E9D9479-0357-4623-8EEE-C22D447E97F4.thumb.jpeg.a01f38e210c1f50822bcbc7df5bf07ba.jpeg

Only issue I’ve run into so far is that the hood is bowed, May have to use heat to reset it, any suggestions would be good!

8368C276-2EBA-405D-AC59-F62B31825CE0.jpeg.cbb5ab3de9c3b119512c6af2dabf21a5.jpeg1B80A24C-CBC8-4D8C-AA4C-ADA775D128B1.jpeg.95442947977b44d999484db3923ecac9.jpeg

I’ll also seriously thinking of painting it the British Racing Green Metallic that Jag is offering on the F-Type, I think that would look incredible on an E-Type!

101257d1416771685-brg-=-british-racing-g

Nice looking project you have going on.  As for as the hood warp, maybe you could bend it a little past nominal then wrap some tape around it to hold it there.  Next, gentley hit it with the heat gun then remove the tape once it cools.  Don't know if that will work or ot but its a quick method to try. 

11 hours ago, peteski said:

That looks like a cool project. I have no suggestions, but I have a question:  Why are you using such a seemingly coarse sandpaper?  Seems like that it will take some serious sanding later to get rid of those gouges.

Thanks Pete, I started course due to the bumper mounting tabs and the UV Resin filler I used, it made knocking those down easier and went to finer grit later on and will still do so, then use filler primer as well.

9 hours ago, TooOld said:

Those wheels look awesome , let us know how the shipping time is from Ukraine .  I'm also a bit disappointed to see this kit is molded in orange (?) , I wasn't aware of that .

I agree and will do, I just ordered them yesterday and the purchase has been confirmed and only cost about $8.00, so I'm curious on how long shipping will take.  The kit is molded in 2 colors though, a very bright, almost "Italian Red" plastic as well as a grey-ish white for non body parts.  Wish it was in primer grey, but oh well.

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking project you have going on.  As for as the hood warp, maybe you could bend it a little past nominal then wrap some tape around it to hold it there.  Next, gentley hit it with the heat gun then remove the tape once it cools.  Don't know if that will work or ot but its a quick method to try. 

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of trying too!

8 hours ago, SickBoy said:

This should be fun to watch, nice progress so far. I agree with your color choice, that will look fantastic on an old E type.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking there too, I'm working the next 3 Saturdays, so I have 2 short weekdays each week and may go visit the paint shop I got the paint for my Wild Will 4x4 build at and have him mix me up a can of that green.

Really looking forward to seeing this one! 

Not to hijack your thread, but have you seen this?  1963 Jaguar E-type Low Drag Coupe re-creation - when you said "outlaw E-Type", I thought of this.  Is this the same car that you're using for your inspiration?  

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/12/11/this-1963-jaguar-e-type-low-drag-coupe-re-creation-is-an-8-year-labor-of-love/

LC3_7252-scaled.jpg

Edited by Jonathan

6 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Really looking forward to seeing this one! 

Not to hijack your thread, but have you seen this?  1963 Jaguar E-type Low Drag Coupe re-creation - when you said "outlaw E-Type", I thought of this.  Is this the same car that you're using for your inspiration?  

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/12/11/this-1963-jaguar-e-type-low-drag-coupe-re-creation-is-an-8-year-labor-of-love/

LC3_7252-scaled.jpg

That was part of it, but the blue FHC above is what really inspired it since I didn’t want to get that far into the body work to redo the roof too.

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

That was part of it, but the blue FHC above is what really inspired it since I didn’t want to get that far into the body work to redo the roof too.

I think your build will be awesome - can't wait to see more!

20 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I think your build will be awesome - can't wait to see more!

Thanks, I need to fix the hood and I’m waiting on the rolling stock from the Ukrainian before I do much more to the body.  I want to make sure that there won’t be any issues with tire clearance or mounting since there were no pics of the back.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:04 AM, TooOld said:

Those wheels look awesome , let us know how the shipping time is from Ukraine .  I'm also a bit disappointed to see this kit is molded in orange (?) , I wasn't aware of that .

Quick update, just got an email this morning that the Dunlop rolling stock is shipping!  Tracking number for shipping doesn't register just yet, but hopefully it will by tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Quick update, just got an email this morning that the Dunlop rolling stock is shipping!  Tracking number for shipping doesn't register just yet, but hopefully it will by tomorrow!

Cool!  I have my eye on those wheels, too.   Just picked up the kit.  

20 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Well that's a good sign !  I've ordered parts from the U.K. and from Australia that get shipped right away and usually the actual shipping time is 3-4 weeks , not bad considering .  Also they're tracking never seems to show anything here in the states .

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Here’s how they look with the kit rolling stock, the tires are taller and slightly wider as well as I’m not sure how I’m going to mount them to the car, debating about cutting the back sides down and using the kit wheel backs.

455AA74D-C0A8-48C0-980B-467013F98FFC.thumb.jpeg.dd20a8891f8c30dc1732bf234ff77d85.jpeg

Great looking wheels and tire you bought aftermarket,Joe..

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 7:22 AM, Joe Handley said:

Here’s how they look with the kit rolling stock, the tires are taller and slightly wider as well as I’m not sure how I’m going to mount them to the car, debating about cutting the back sides down and using the kit wheel backs.

455AA74D-C0A8-48C0-980B-467013F98FFC.thumb.jpeg.dd20a8891f8c30dc1732bf234ff77d85.jpeg

the taller tires are period correct for the early 60's - Revell's are too small...