Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Ford F150 Ranger Explorer 2wd

Earlier this year, I bought an 81 Ford F150 Ranger Explorer Styleside - enough words in the name of truck?   Shortbed 302 with 5 spd conversion (M5OD-R2).   I am going to attempt to build my truck.   I have a junk F350 duallie (I think) that will contribute front suspension and other parts.   I have posted in "Wanted" for the F250 bed, whcih would be easier to work with than the duallie bed.  The real bodies were pretty close other than wheel openings that went round in 87.   I did buy an extra cab for the body sides - it will take a lot of hacking/bashing.  We'll see if I can make anything.  At the worst, I'll have a completely inaccurate stepsire representation of my truck?  Or an unfinished project.  

But if I don't come up with a flat side bed, I'll try to hack what I have into shape.  MAD resins has some van wheels that match pretty close to mine.  They have a trans that is similar, but as bad as the engine and underhood are, I may not worry about that too much.  

I have the Revell TRUCKS issue of the F150 RANGER, which isn't a RANGER at all; it's the "Custom".  It's a pretty big letdown when I compare it to the truck in the driveway.   This is one of those where the nitpicklers could have a field day with all the inaccuracies.  I try not to do that, but this is pretty sad attempt.  But I'll work with it and make what I can.     

Here's my real truck from a couple month ago. This is what I'm going to try to make.   Any suggestions for parts that can be had easily are welcome.  I'm a cheapskate and not going to wait til the moon is in the proper phase and pay with wolf's blood for parts.  lol

smaller.jpg

• Like 1

I've been wanting to do one of these for years. But, never have got around to it. When I do get around to it, I plan on using an AMT '95 short bed and an MPC Bronco. Just have to swap the front clip and cowl on the cab. Change the interior. Then back date the bed with the Broncos fender arches and tail lights. The tricky part will be the tail gate. Way better frame, floorpan and suspension details also. 

4 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I've been wanting to do one of these for years. But, never have got around to it. When I do get around to it, I plan on using an AMT '95 short bed and an MPC Bronco. Just have to swap the front clip and cowl on the cab. Change the interior. Then back date the bed with the Broncos fender arches and tail lights. The tricky part will be the tail gate. Way better frame, floorpan and suspension details also. 

I'd like to do the same conversion but, boy, even junkers of those MPC Broncos are getting pricey.

Maybe Round 2 will reissue the Bronco in the future.  I don't think it's been modded into anything else.

I'm going to move forward with this Revell blob.  We'll see what comes out.  I'll keep searching ebay, but not much hope.  I am not going to spend big money on this project when the real truck needs parts.  It's just a big model project to me.  Then I get to drive the big one too.   

On 7/13/2021 at 6:08 PM, Plowboy said:

sent you a PM

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 8:24 PM, Mercuryman54 said:

Randy, Here is a couple WIP pictures. It has since been painted. Still needs the interior done.

Yep, I remember this one.   Some folks gave you a hard time over the wide whites and red wheels.   I love em.   BUT I also decided not to go with that combination on mine from those photos.   BUt that is a spectacular truck.  I'm on 3 of the bullnose FB pages and Gary's garagemahal site.  

And just an update - found my old duallie for the front 2wd suspension.  And a fellow member has offered to trade kits so I can have a Bronco body.  Woo Hoo.   Not a forgotten project but still gathering parts.  

On 8/19/2021 at 8:43 AM, Smoke Wagon said:

When I built the revell kit, I had to shave the leading edge of the core support a bit to get the grille to sit right, but other than that the kit built up well. Hope this helps

Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.   Actually put knife top plastic the other night.   Spent some time cleaning parts, cutting spare off, scribing cowl and fender lines.   Started looking at Bronco body to see where it will have to be cut.