Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eddie Van Halen Van Hauler

I built this from the Testors kit, but instead of using the small kit decals I wanted to do the original paint job. I painted the truck black, then masked off the black stripes, painted the whole thing white, then masked off the white stripes, then painted the whole thing red, then unmasked all the stripes and cleared the whole thing. Other than the paint job, it's box stock.

o2vtqYi.jpg

YWkvXXj.jpg

ltrpwFD.jpg

BaEUsex.jpg

I6DgB7p.jpg

ZXj2TFs.jpg

xoCdbHz.jpg

rHwrvw1.jpg

iYeYY4o.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 10:23 AM, TonyK said:

Well that was a lot of work but you nailed it! Makes you wonder what steps they took to do his guitar scheme.

The crazy thing about Eddie is that he was not sentimental about that guitar and there really were no "steps" or thought process behind it. It was originally black. He literally put some tape stripes on it and spray bombed it white. After a while, put on some more tape stripes and spray bombed it red. Didn't even remove all the tape from the first time. Nailed some truck reflectors on the back. Nailed a nickel into the front of the body to support the bridge, used a chisel to make room for a pickup, used hardware store eyehooks as strap holders. 

I like the truck! I have this one in the stash, but haven't started it. Have been sort of looking for a second so I could do exactly what you did.

Very cool! I’ve always loved the truck and felt it was a shame when they repainted it with the very abbreviated graphics. 

Is this kit a curbside or full detail? The real truck had a ‘96 Corvette LT4 330hp engine and independent rear suspension. Curious if it has those details?

3 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Very cool! I’ve always loved the truck and felt it was a shame when they repainted it with the very abbreviated graphics. 

Is this kit a curbside or full detail? The real truck had a ‘96 Corvette LT4 330hp engine and independent rear suspension. Curious if it has those details?

Thanks. I built this from the full detail version of the kit.

11 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

The kit is a 1/24 and includes the Corvette engine and rear end. 

Here's another thread where I posted pics of the kit. 

• 2 weeks later...