Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible

Jeffcad

11 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

Another hit Jeff! Can you tell us what you use for the pinstripe?

Hi Jay !

Thanks so much !.

For the accent stripes I have used some water decal lines. ( 0.1 and 0.2 milimeters ) The decals brand's name is Studio27, you can find sheets on Ebay. As I have used the finest and narrowest lines possible, a 10th and a 20th of a milimeter, I apply them by pieces of 3,5 to 4 centimeters max in lenght, one piece after another on the body, cause the decal line in its full lenght ( 14 centimeters ) is too flexible, delicate to adjust and stretch.

These decal lines exist in black, white of course, gold, silver, bright yellow... and in many other shapes.

It's tough to apply them stretched though. Stikers would be way easier to apply but none of the ones foundable on the market are that thin.

See ya !

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Beautiful Caddy. Very clean work. You really did that old model justice.

How did you do the pinstriping on the hood?

Hi Trevor,

Thank you very much.

As I said to Jay just above, pinstripes are from decals called "Studio27". They are sold per sheet with lines that go from 0.1 milimeters to 0.5 milimeters. They are water decals, not stickers. Available in various shapes and colors, you can buy them on Ebay. Coming from Japan. The quality is very good but they are not easy to apply cause of their narrowness.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:44 PM, bisc63 said:

Just a beautiful car and model. When I think of modern "Cadillac", this is what I imagine. This is one of their most handsome bodies of the latter few decades. (IMHO!) You have done this automobile much justice with this build. Well done.

Thank you very much Rusty. I am also very very fund of this design, one of my favorite especially in the Coupe version. The designer's name who had created this ninth generation of Eldorado for Cadillac back in 1971 is Wayne Kady!. What a premonitory name to then become a chef designer for Cadillac ;). A man of great talent, without a doubt.

Edited by Jeffcad

I'm glad someone with some modeling skills is building these old Cadillac kits if for no other reason than to remind us how impressive the 1:1 cars could be.

Looks like another great build to add to your impressive collection.   

Just out of curiosity, is the license plate a shout out to someone in Furnas County Nebraska?  I ask as someone born and raised in the state and familiar with the license plates.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Monty said:

I'm glad someone with some modeling skills is building these old Cadillac kits if for no other reason than to remind us how impressive the 1:1 cars could be.

Looks like another great build to add to your impressive collection.   

Just out of curiosity, is the license plate a shout out to someone in Furnas County Nebraska?  I ask as someone born and raised in the state and familiar with the license plates.

Hello Monty,

Thank you very very much!. As long as I have relatively steady hands and not so bad eyes I will never stop doing Cadillacs. ;) I love them too much, and only them.

The Nebraska license plate is just a coincidence. It is part of a 1970s's era license set I bought on Ebay. I choose this one cause the year 72 appears on the bottom.

Hi Jean-Philippe!

Very nice conversion, bravo!

I saw those cars up close when they were new: I was washing cars at my dad's favorite service-station, and a local gentleman had one, painted in Willow grey. It was a stunning car. Yours recreate the era perfectly. 

I know you are deep into Caddies... I'm finishing a 64 Johan convertible, that I've transformed in a Mirage (Camino-style custom) after I saw a few of them on a thread on this forum. Just need polishing and final assembly. The Johan bodies were great.

CT 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Jean-Philippe!

Very nice conversion, bravo!

I saw those cars up close when they were new: I was washing cars at my dad's favorite service-station, and a local gentleman had one, painted in Willow grey. It was a stunning car. Yours recreate the era perfectly. 

I know you are deep into Caddies... I'm finishing a 64 Johan convertible, that I've transformed in a Mirage (Camino-style custom) after I saw a few of them on a thread on this forum. Just need polishing and final assembly. The Johan bodies were great.

CT 

Hi Claude !. Merci beaucoup. That's a fantastic story you are sharing with me and you must have seen so much wonderful cars!. I came up very close buying a real Eldorado Coupe 1972 last year but with Covid it was not really serious. Partie remise ! ;)

I can't wait to see your converted 64 Cadillac!. I am generally not into heavy customs but some mild ones are obviously quite elegant. Check this really cool one, made from a 1964 Fleetwood Sixty-Special. IMO, with whitewalls, it would be even better :)

1964-cadillac-custom-pickup-flower-car-2.jpg

1964-cadillac-custom-pickup-flower-car-11.jpg

9 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

Hi Claude !. Merci beaucoup. That's a fantastic story you are sharing with me and you must have seen so much wonderful cars!. I came up very close buying a real Eldorado Coupe 1972 last year but with Covid it was not really serious. Partie remise ! ;)

I can't wait to see your converted 64 Cadillac!. I am generally not into heavy customs but some mild ones are obviously quite elegant. Check this really cool one, made from a 1964 Fleetwood Sixty-Special. IMO, with whitewalls, it would be even better :)

1964-cadillac-custom-pickup-flower-car-2.jpg

1964-cadillac-custom-pickup-flower-car-11.jpg

HI Jean-Philippe!

Merci for the comments, and the pictures! 

According to my researchs, there were TWO coachbuilders that offered such cowboy Cadillacs in the late 60's. The Mirage had a more formal or "squarish" roof, streching a bit over the rear box (that's how I did mine), and the Caribou, with a flying buttress roof (à la Camino) mostly like on your pics. Many people confuse the remaining ones with so-called flower cars from the funeral industry. Different animals, completely!

I agree: this Cad is missing white sidewalls...

CT 

10 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI Jean-Philippe!

Merci for the comments, and the pictures! 

According to my researchs, there were TWO coachbuilders that offered such cowboy Cadillacs in the late 60's. The Mirage had a more formal or "squarish" roof, streching a bit over the rear box (that's how I did mine), and the Caribou, with a flying buttress roof (à la Camino) mostly like on your pics. Many people confuse the remaining ones with so-called flower cars from the funeral industry. Different animals, completely!

I agree: this Cad is missing white sidewalls...

CT 

Hi Claude!

You're right about the Caribou and the Mirage. Mirage was a specific model made by Traditional Coach Work LTD, familiar with their 76 Caddy conversion that the now late Modelhaus created a decade ago ( and that I lost the chance to buy at the time). I am not aware about 1960s conversions though. But it's not less fun to make one !. ;) . It happens when people mix pickup conversions with flower-cars. But Flower-cars were built on professionnal chassis, they were way longer than regular series, longer than the series 75 limousine Chassis. These were boats !. One exception though...The Mc Clain Flower-cars, from late 60s to late 70s if I recall correctly.

can't wait to see your 64 pickup ! :)

Nice job on the conversion. Especially the correct roof boot cover. Most people would not have got the correct shape on that. Any reason you left the top corners of the windshield squared off? 

Not trying to be "that guy" but I'm just curious as the rest of the car is so clean and correct.

1 hour ago, Jeffcad said:

Hi Claude!

You're right about the Caribou and the Mirage. Mirage was a specific model made by Traditional Coach Work LTD, familiar with their 76 Caddy conversion that the now late Modelhaus created a decade ago ( and that I lost the chance to buy at the time). I am not aware about 1960s conversions though. But it's not less fun to make one !. ;) . It happens when people mix pickup conversions with flower-cars. But Flower-cars were built on professionnal chassis, they were way longer than regular series, longer than the series 75 limousine Chassis. These were boats !. One exception though...The Mc Clain Flower-cars, from late 60s to late 70s if I recall correctly.

can't wait to see your 64 pickup ! :)

Hi Jean-Philippe!

Sacrebleu... You are the only person I know who masters the dimensions of funeral flower cars. That's passion for the Caddy! 

There was an interesting article a few months ago in the Hemmings' Classic Cars mag about a gentleman from NH who found and restored a flower car. Just like you, he was very versed on those special vehicles...

CT 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Nice job on the conversion. Especially the correct roof boot cover. Most people would not have got the correct shape on that. Any reason you left the top corners of the windshield squared off? 

Not trying to be "that guy" but I'm just curious as the rest of the car is so clean and correct.

Hi Steve, thanks.

I did curved a bit the outer corner edges of the windshield's frame but it is maybe not enough... I could have also transformed the inner corners, that is what accentuates the square effect. Next one will be better, still have a 73 Eldorado convertible to do. ;)

Edited by Jeffcad

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Jean-Philippe!

Sacrebleu... You are the only person I know who masters the dimensions of funeral flower cars. That's passion for the Caddy! 

There was an interesting article a few months ago in the Hemmings' Classic Cars mag about a gentleman from NH who found and restored a flower car. Just like you, he was very versed on those special vehicles...

CT 

Yep, I am a bit crazy about Caddies ;) Almost 40 years of unconditional love...and still new things to learn about the brand every day !. :)

8 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

Yep, I am a bit crazy about Caddies ;) Almost 40 years of unconditional love...and still new things to learn about the brand every day !. :)

HI Jeff!

To conclude on the subject of "enthusiasm"... One of my late friends was so much in Caddies that he had a special tombstone made to mark his grave. It is made of granit, and has a 60's convertible "riding into the sunset". The tombstone artist said it was a first for him.

To this day, it still makes a strong impression on the cemetary visitors!

CT 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...