Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heavily Chopped & Channeled '32 Ford 3-window

Bernard Kron

A couple of months ago I sold a bunch of my models on eBay to make room on my overcrowded shelves. They were all early builds that no longer held my interest the way they once had. But on several of them there were details, such as motors and wheels and tires that I was reluctant to part with. In those cases, while cleaning up and repairing the models for sale, I substituted more common parts from my stash so I could re-use the salvaged bits in future builds. Among them was a set of wide-white Big ‘n’ Little hot rod tires from ThePartsBox.com mounted on some chrome steelies from a Monogram ’32 Ford Roadster kit. This rolling stock inspired me to begin this project, a deeply channeled and heavily chopped ’32 Ford 3-window coupe.

While reviewing my collection I noticed certain early builds that reminded me of strategies and tactics I had particularly enjoyed and that I needed to revisit today. Among them was a deeply chopped and channeled Deuce sedan based on a Jimmy Flintstone resin body that I had mounted to a scratch built chassis which featured curved copies of proper ’32 Ford frame horns. In the case of that early project I had built the frame out of necessity because I had simply run out of Deuce frames. But when I built it I realized that deeply channeled hot rods didn’t need all the detail in their frame sets that highboys did because so much of the frame is buried under the body.

spacer.png
Details of the wheels saved from an early Deuce roadster project and the Jimmy Flintstone resin Deuce sedan that inspired this project – both from 2009-2010.

Which brings us to this project. The chopped and channeled Flintstone deuce sedan reminded me that I had wanted to do a radically chopped and dropped Deuce 3 window for quite some time. Meanwhile, with the pandemic driving model kit prices rapidly upward I have become less motivated to raid and butcher existing kits in my stash. In the case of Revell ’32 Fords prices have nearly doubled and I’m inclined to reserve my Revell Deuce frames for highboy builds, where the frame detail is visible. Thus I decided to scratch together another set of Deuce frame rails, again cut from thick styrene sheet stock using a pattern traced from a set of Revell 1/25th rails. This time however I took a more direct approach to the rear z’d portion, omitting the 45 degree z of the earlier effort and focusing on how the frame would look from below once completed. The result, built from styrene strip for the k-member and the various cross members is what you see below. Since only the portion forward of the firewall will be at all visible the critical thing is to get the upward curve and the horns looking right and the frame width correct to take the grill shell and sit properly under the body. With the very deep channel (some 4 scale inches) the entire rear portion will be invisible except if the model is turned over on its roof. So I’m using a simple version of the stock kit coil-over rear end. The front suspension uses the terrific re-pops that ThePartsBox.com make of the Revell ’40 Ford Street Rod dropped front axle. I can’t recommend these highly enough, not only for their deep drop, but most especially because they are wire reinforced which prevents them from sagging over time the way most resin front axles do. Massive thumbs up!

The Revell ’32 Ford 3-window body has been chopped approximately 3 scale inches as has the grill shell. Like the old Flintstone sedan I’m again using a Revell Hemi from their 5-window kit. Shown below are the initial mockups. The stance is where I want it, the motor looks right and the chop is finished out with the body in primer for final paint prep. With most of the hard stuff out of the way this should be a pretty fun project.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

spacer.png
spacer.png

I see the holes in those suiside doors for the handles so I assume you'll be putting door handles on vs the doors being shaved?  I think the chrome handles make the doors pop but either way it's going to look killer.  

Thanks everyone! Stoked you all dig it!

On 7/15/2021 at 9:40 AM, Dave Darby said:

Looks like something right out of a Keith Weezner drawing. I love it.

Thanx Dave! I always wanted to capture the Weezner vibe, but had to grow enough as a modeler to get "loose" enough to do it. I guess this is the one...

22 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Is that hemi from the AMT 53 Studebaker?

No, it's the modern Revell Deuce 5-window coupe "Hemi" with aftermarket resin Chrysler Firepower re-pops, I believe from Drag City Casting. I'm still debating the valve cover treatment, depending on paint and decal choices...

11 hours ago, Zippi said:

I see the holes in those suicide doors for the handles so I assume you'll be putting door handles on vs the doors being shaved?  I think the chrome handles make the doors pop but either way it's going to look killer.  

Thanks! Yeah, it gets door handles because, as you point out, it "sells" the suicide door detail - that's why I left the hinges in place, including on the chopped top.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks Ray!

I got the paint started. The body and grill shell color is Tamiya TS-52 Candy Lime Green over a base of Tamiya TS-7 Racing White with masking using 1.5mm Jammy Dog tape to get the accent stripes. The chassis is TS-7 which will also be the main color of the interior. Lots of touching up to do before it gets its clear coats and polish. Meanwhile the motor and interior are next.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

spacer.png

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks to you both, Dave and Alan. I'm glad you're likin' it!

As if I didn’t have enough radicalness happening with the ultra-low stance, deep chop and channel and candy lime paint, I felt the need to add some flames and graphics from the Revell ’32 Ford 5-window kit. They’ll get clear coated during final paint and polish. The motor is painted and mocked up for these photos. I thought the Revell 5-window Hemi carbs and air cleaners were a bit undersized so I swapped them out for the carbs and air cleaners from the Revell Stacey David Rat Roaster kit. The interior parts are modified with tuck and roll and diamond tuft details and bucket seats. I’ll post them along with the final chassis details in my next update. My suspicion that this project might be Big Fun is holding up pretty well so far.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

spacer.png

Thanks Carl and Bob!

I’ve gotten all the subassemblies done and now it’ll be time to put the whole thing together. The photo below shows the completed motor chassis and interior parts. I also made some grill graphics from pieces of the Revell 5-window kit decals. My next posting will be as a completed model. Thanks to all who followed along.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

spacer.png