Model Cars Magazine Forum

And now for something completely different...a zombie killing van.

Hi All. New member and new to posting.

As you will see as I post more pictures of the models that I have built during the Pandemic, I like all kinds of car models but I definitely lean more to vintage hot rods and race cars. But, since I'm cheap, I concentrate on what I can build with the models and parts that I already have from when I was a kid.

This van started out as an AMT Rescue Van that I had previously built as a hippie van (anyone remember the van craze from the '70s?). And, since I also had a built German tank model, what would make more since than to build a post-apocalypse, junk-yard built, zombie hunting van/machine/half-track? All of the components came from my parts stash, plus a little styrene and weathering and then we're ready to hit the road. Enjoy.

DSC04662.JPG

DSC04667.JPG

DSC04673.JPG

DSC04678.JPG

DSC04666.JPG

Thanks for the kind words. Adding all of the little details was the most fun part of this build. I wanted it to looked lived in and well used but it was hard to know when to stop adding things. Fun fact, anyone recognize the zombie from the 'Lil Coffin' model or the machine guns from the 'Red Baron' model?

On 7/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, EngineerBob said:

Oldcarfan27, I'll definitely post some of my other models based on the nice comments that I've received. Refreshing Forum that doesn't have a lot of name calling and negative comments.

thatz4u, Funny!

they don't allow personal attacks on this forum, works well for everyone...

On 7/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, spencer1984 said:

Very cool! What did you use to make the waffle-pattern armor over the side windows?

The armor was left-over diamond plate from a parts-box trailer floor that I cut up (probably the Daytona Transport Truck).

Very creative. I guess the Pandemic has had an effect on all of us. I like the rear tracks and the details of the interior and the hatch with the machine gun. This would make a good prototype for the next Mad Max franchise as well. I like all the little touches you notice the longer you look at the pictures.  

4 hours ago, espo said:

Very creative. I guess the Pandemic has had an effect on all of us. I like the rear tracks and the details of the interior and the hatch with the machine gun. This would make a good prototype for the next Mad Max franchise as well. I like all the little touches you notice the longer you look at the pictures.  

Thanks for noticing. I had finished and had plenty of small details that only showed up from 12 inches away, but, once I took the close up pics I realized I could have put even more detail in if I wanted to get carried away (maybe on the next one).

14 hours ago, EngineerBob said:

Thanks for noticing. I had finished and had plenty of small details that only showed up from 12 inches away, but, once I took the close up pics I realized I could have put even more detail in if I wanted to get carried away (maybe on the next one).

I forgot to welcome you to the forum. I agree with what a difference some of the most insignificant details can add to the overall look of a model. 

• 1 month later...