Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT 2006 Polar Lights Snap Kit: Finished

David G.

This is the polar lights 2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition snap kit. Like any other Polar Lights snap-together kit I've built, the overall quality is on par with any of the kits out there that require glue for assembly. It's well detailed and to my eye, the proportions seem correct.

FordGT06_00.jpg.6805bc49340c46da8929348b06b23086.jpg

Polar Lights is also generous with the decals they include. In addition to providing accent graphics with enough variation to allow it to be build in just about any color, the thoughtfully provide some redundancy to allow for mess-ups.

FordGT06_30.jpg.0b9fb74eed59ff31f8ee46dac0c079f2.jpg

I decided to challenge myself by building this kit in the "molded-in" color. I did of course, have to paint the orange stripe as well as paint and detail the interior. But the rest of the body is built as molded by Polar Lights and polished.

FordGT06_68.jpg.b7877148d7a182f727ed782fcb07b42b.jpg

Even though it is a snap-together kit, I did use glue at various points in the building process. A prime example would be the wheels. Not only did I glue them to prevent rolling, the brake calipers are molded into the wheels causing them to roll along merrily with the wheels as they turn. 😕 Odd to say the least.

FordGT06_69.jpg.92113c5c665afd90cd977ab3e35b855a.jpg

The nose and hood stripe was for me, the most intimidating part of the build.

FordGT06_70.jpg.d59fd29a0ae1a7c0d2e99437c94f0688.jpg

Though not perfect, I am content with the results. The black line decals do much to clean up the paint edges.

FordGT06_71.jpg.0074674b325f57405d13ad0ff723c167.jpg

This model is also the first supercar I've built. The GT 40 was always one of my favorite race cars, especially in Gulf livery. The 2006 Heritage Edition GT captures that feel very nicely.

FordGT06_72.jpg.f1498f18cecc62f2f3657827ad67f29c.jpg

Why number five? Well the box shows number six and so do most of the online photos I found. So I didn't want to use number six. I didn't want to use number one because I wanted to avoid all the comments like "Ooooh number one! Because its number one, right?". I passed on number seven for similar reasons, "Ooooh, lucky seven!". Number nine is visually just an upside down six and three... well, three just... meh.

But five! Who builds five? Speed Racer, that's who! :) 

So yeah, I might have subconsciously had the Mach Five in mind when I picked the number, but I'm good with that.

FordGT06_73.jpg.ea408e57e3089f621ef21a3b18ea7d30.jpg

I used the California license plate decals because... California.

FordGT06_75.jpg.495dc73a54f289b36941a5952afa7bb0.jpg

For those who may be interested, I do have a WIP thread, here's a link.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to leave a comment.

David G.

Ooh, 5 alive! ... Just kidding ..I just love your thought process on the numbers... reminds me of myself. Aren’t we just a tormented bunch here? 🤪

Anyway, nice job on the GT40, also one of my favorites. It looks good for a snap kit and though you may have been intimidated on the orange stripe, you pulled it off and it looks good👍

19 hours ago, Jim B said:

That looks awesome, David.  I have this kit, too; and I am intimidated by the masking.  You did a great job.

Thank you Jim. When I built mine, I made a couple copies of the mask that's included in the directions. After I cut it out, I covered the back side with double stick tape and trimmed it down. Not an ideal masking setup but it worked well enough.

18 hours ago, shoopdog said:

You've done a excellent job!

Thanks Keith.

17 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Beautifully done!  I like it.

Thank you Terry.

17 hours ago, Venom said:

Ooh, 5 alive! ... Just kidding ..I just love your thought process on the numbers... reminds me of myself. Aren’t we just a tormented bunch here? 🤪

Anyway, nice job on the GT40, also one of my favorites. It looks good for a snap kit and though you may have been intimidated on the orange stripe, you pulled it off and it looks good👍

Dang! I missed that one. :D Yeah, we do tend to overthink things don't we? 

I do enjoy working through projects that I find intimidating. I enjoy the challenge and I like the sense of accomplishment.

Thanks for your comment Josh.

17 hours ago, oldscool said:

That looks great!

Thanks Gerald.

12 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

That really came out great!  The panel lines turned out perfect.

Thank you Chaz, I appreciate that.

12 hours ago, cobraman said:

Great looking model David !

Thank you Ray.

11 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

Thanks Larry.

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Looks fantastic David,  I really enjoyed the build WIP of this model!

Thanks for your Carl, I appreciate that.

Regards,

David G.

That turned out pretty nice Dave.  I like the color combination.  Decals look like they went down pretty good.  That's always my fear.....the decals won't lay down very well or they will tear.  Your's look great.  

23 hours ago, Zippi said:

That turned out pretty nice Dave.  I like the color combination.  Decals look like they went down pretty good.  That's always my fear.....the decals won't lay down very well or they will tear.  Your's look great.  

Thank you Bob. I'm often concerned about decals too but these were easy to work with. The were sturdy yet flexible enough to conform with a little coaxing and Microset. The big number circles on the right door did develop a small split but it's barely noticeable.

19 hours ago, plasticprime said:

Excellent build! Great in all respects! 

Thank you Benton, I appreciate your comment.

52 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thanks Chris.

David G.

18 hours ago, RAMBENNA said:

very nicely done , looks great

Thanks Cliff.

11 hours ago, tkzwolf said:

Looks great.  I've got one of those in my stash.  You really made a snap kit look awesome.

Thank you Tom.

David G.