Model Cars Magazine Forum

is the AMT 39/40 Ford Sedan the same as the AMT 40 Ford Coupe?

if trying to build the 2 cars stock, is the AMT 39/40 Ford Sedan the same as the AMT 40 Ford Coupe other than the body? or is the interior, engine, frame etc different?

i want to build the coupe, and i have it on order, but i can get the sedan right away. if they are the same other than the body, i can work on everything except the body this weekend and only have the body stuff to do when it arrives.

unfortunately i cant find the coupe anywhere local

There is a difference in the fender units. Aside from the difference to allow the different year grilles on the sedan, there are openings in the rear inner fenders to make room for the rear seat of the sedan. The Coupe inner fenders are like wheel tubs. I think one of them has an Olds engine and the other has a Buick. The kits are basically the same, though.

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

the site requires registration, and then it says registration is disabled. 

it looks like there are some differences though based on the post below yours, so i think im just going to wait. i got the shipment notice, it will probably arrive monday. i can go 2 days without a model, or i can work on my 64 corvette snap kit

Edited by MrMiles

15 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

You can also find the instructions here Mike. 

I don't see the latest versions of the kits but they haven't changed much over the years. 

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/ford/1931-1940/

thank you very much. it looks like the interior is different. the coupe is front seats only, the sedan has rear seats. 

There are two 1/25 scale AMT '40 Ford kits.  One is the coupe/sedan delivery (same kit with different body and interior), the other is the sedan.  Both kits were created around the same time (1960) so there are similarities between them, and many parts will interchange between them. 

The sedan delivery parts were created around 1967, apparently AMT was able to issue a "new" kit for a fraction of the cost of developing an entire new kit.  They did this again later with the '32 Ford phaeton, among other kits.

Edited by Mark
Info

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

There are two 1/25 scale AMT '40 Ford kits.  One is the coupe/sedan delivery (same kit with different body and interior), the other is the sedan.  Both kits were created around the same time (1960) so there are similarities between them, and many parts will interchange between them. 

Well there is also the coupe kit. So really 3 in all.

1 hour ago, Vince Nemanic said:

There is a difference in the fender units. Aside from the difference to allow the different year grilles on the sedan, there are openings in the rear inner fenders to make room for the rear seat of the sedan. The Coupe inner fenders are like wheel tubs. I think one of them has an Olds engine and the other has a Buick. The kits are basically the same, though.

The optional engine for the sedan is a rather nice rendition of Oldsmobile. The coupe has the Buick nailhead as the optional engine. The original flathead v8 are ok, you can detail the up pretty nice just with care taken painting them and good judgement used for a wash.

The coupe and sedan delivery are the same kit with different bodies.  With the sedan which is all by itself, that makes three body styles but two basic tools.  I'd liken the coupe/sedan delivery to an annual kit that was produced as both hardtop and convertible.

19 minutes ago, Mark said:

The sedan delivery parts were created around 1967, apparently AMT was able to issue a "new" kit for a fraction of the cost of developing an entire new kit.  They did this again later with the '32 Ford phaeton, among other kits.

I have the sedan delivery. that is the same as the coupe except the interior and body? if they are the same, i can work on the chassis and engine, and just wait for the kit to come. 

This is what i ordered

https://www.amazon.com/AMT-AMT1141-1940-Coupe-Multi/dp/B07KNFLMGG/ref=asc_df_B07KNFLMGG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459723993320&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11464290404212578887&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003932&hvtargid=pla-834217232763&psc=1

This is what i have

16264537534205529664624017136673.thumb.jpg.7f9fc41785180ac4cbe20ec2b07a932c.jpg

Edited by MrMiles

1 minute ago, Mark said:

The coupe and sedan delivery are the same kit with different bodies.  With the sedan which is all by itself, that makes three body styles but two basic tools.  I'd liken the coupe/sedan delivery to an annual kit that was produced as both hardtop and convertible.

Ok Mark, got it. Sorry, missed what you were getting at in your other message.

The coupe and delivery kits share everything except body, interior, and clear parts.  Some coupe kits came through with the delivery's separate rear door on one of the parts trees.

Depending on which recent issue you get, some of the optional parts are different.  The Gene Winfield issue has the Keystone mag wheels and tubular custom bumpers, the Three Stooges issue has flipper caps and ribbed custom bumpers.

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

The coupe and delivery kits share everything except body, interior, and clear parts.  Some coupe kits came through with the delivery's separate rear door on one of the parts trees.

Depending on which recent issue you get, some of the optional parts are different.  The Gene Winfield issue has the Keystone mag wheels and tubular custom bumpers, the Three Stooges issue has flipper caps and ribbed custom bumpers.

that is interesting thank you. i assumed the delivery would have been a longer kit since the body looks so much longer.

i actually ordered the coupe i linked above, and the new release of the gasser https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DS8JRTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so i guess i will have all 3 

One other thing: the coupe and delivery both use the same hood and fender unit.  The coupe is a pretty good fit as I recall, but the delivery takes a little finessing with the hood/body fit, also the body/rear fenders.  It's hard to explain, you'll see it when fitting the parts together.  Definitely not a kit to just paint without fitting anything first.

23 hours ago, Dave G. said:

The optional engine for the sedan is a rather nice rendition of Oldsmobile. The coupe has the Buick nailhead as the optional engine. The original flathead v8 are ok, you can detail the up pretty nice just with care taken painting them and good judgement used for a wash.

The Shelf Of Doom has a nearly-complete '40 Ford coupe on it.  I used the great Flathead from the Revell '48 Ford Custom Coupe.  It's a pretty close fit.  The engine mounts on the Revell engine will almost drop right onto the mounts molded onto the AMT '40 Ford frame. 

That engine comes with Navarro heads and dual-carb intake, complete with "Navarro" lettering, and some nice exhaust headers.  To make the engine fit, I had to cut the driveshaft and sand down the '40 frame cross-members and the back of the transmission.

Flathead fans often yanked their old, tired '40 engines and replaced them with later Flatheads.  So the Revell '48 engine is a natural swap.

If you don't even want to do that much fiddling, the AMT '50 Ford includes some Flathead speed equipment like chrome finned cylinder heads.  Those parts will probably fit on the '40 engine block, without having to cut anything.  

13 hours ago, Mark said:

One other thing: the coupe and delivery both use the same hood and fender unit.  The coupe is a pretty good fit as I recall, but the delivery takes a little finessing with the hood/body fit, also the body/rear fenders.  It's hard to explain, you'll see it when fitting the parts together.  Definitely not a kit to just paint without fitting anything first.

i got the sedan in today from amazon. i tried the fitting of both hoods and both fit like garbage. the plan was to build a nice and easy kit after the last 2 difficult ones, i think this will go on the shelf for a while

10 hours ago, MrMiles said:

i got the sedan in today from amazon. i tried the fitting of both hoods and both fit like garbage. the plan was to build a nice and easy kit after the last 2 difficult ones, i think this will go on the shelf for a while

The 39 hood should fit marginally better than the the 40 hood. It took 10 minutes of heat and gentle bending to get that to fit reasonably well on the one I built a couple of years ago and seems tome I trimmed the hinge/pins or slots for them to release the push outward to the sides.. The 40 hood would take more work. I was building the 39 version anyway,which isn't really true since it would tale more modifying to build a true 39. It's easier to build the 39 into a 40 standard rather than deluxe. Not all that bad considering these are 1959 moldsthough, we just sort of took that sort of things for granted back then.

It sounds like you need a modern snap kit to play with if you want something quick and simple..

Edited by Dave G.

3 hours ago, Dave G. said:

The 39 hood should fit marginally better than the the 40 hood. It took 10 minutes of heat and gentle bending to get that to fit reasonably well on the one I built a couple of years ago and seems tome I trimmed the hinge/pins or slots for them to release the push outward to the sides.. The 40 hood would take more work. I was building the 39 version anyway,which isn't really true since it would tale more modifying to build a true 39. It's easier to build the 39 into a 40 standard rather than deluxe. Not all that bad considering these are 1959 moldsthough, we just sort of took that sort of things for granted back then.

It sounds like you need a modern snap kit to play with if you want something quick and simple..

im not looking for snap level simple, but i also dont want to have to heat and bend something to get it to fit properly. i get that its a 50 year old mold at this point, and i will probably build this one eventually. however, the last 2 i built were such poor fitting kits, that it would be nice to just build one that goes as its supposed to. 

i might rebuild the 48 monogram (or revell, i dont remember which it is). that was a nice fitting kit, even though it had a lot of little bits of pieces

16 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

i might rebuild the 48 monogram (or revell, i dont remember which it is). that was a nice fitting kit, even though it had a lot of little bits of pieces

The Revell '40 Ford Coupe is light years ahead of the AMT '39/'40 Fords, but is only available in coupe form.

Edited by Casey

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Revell '40 Ford Coupe is light years ahead of the AMT '39/'40 Fords, but is only available in coupe form.

I don't know if I'd say miles ahead but it has it's advantages. Right off the bat the wheels and tires and trim rings on the wheels are the correct size. On the other hand the AMT running boards are the more correct version. The Revell/Monogram is more to build if one wants simplicity. Then one needs to consider if they want to build a standard couple or deluxe, AMT is deluxe, Monogram the standard.

9 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

The Revell/Monogram is more to build if one wants simplicity.

Considering the AMT kit has the front and rear suspension assemblies molded as one piece each, and the Revell versions consist of several separate parts, I'd say the opposite.

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Considering the AMT kit has the front and rear suspension assemblies molded as one piece each, and the Revell versions consist of several separate parts, I'd say the opposite.

No I was saying there is more to building the R/M. I'd like to put a set of those Revell wheels and tires on the AMT sedan sometime  ! Or it would be nice if Revell offered a sedan someday, also a 41 sedan. And a Chevy also.But hey dreams are free at least.