Model Cars Magazine Forum

It took forever to find the aftermarket detail up set for this kit. But once it arrived I was excited to get it done.  However, as it turns out, this kit is not for the feint of heart. I have built Tamiya and Fujimi 1/20 kit and they were a joy, not so much for Aoshima. It was mostly the small parts and extra details that gave me the most problems. Vague instructions  certainly didn't help. But I kept after it and now its done. Overall I am pleased with the result. A lot more detail could have been added  but since the upper body is completely  removable I will do that when the fancy strikes me. More details of the build are under the picture captions. Thanks for looking. Feel free to comment.DSC07298.JPG.aec3897e1f6b5a76453f81c384f7497b.JPG

Right side engine detail. I added ignition wires and sensor wires to the intake. Note the photo etch clamps. that took some practice to get right. 

DSC07299.JPG.aa3fd7671bd396340d35f27d3f8ac81b.JPG

Left side engine. The exhaust and turbochargers were the most problem. I assembled them off the engine. In retrospect, I should have temporarily fastened the engine to the chassis and installed there, There were three locater tabs that I had to cut off and they would have helped in the assembly. Color on the pipes is alclad burnt iron with copper dusted on for effect.

DSC07302.JPG.d664cc72b7f8b7e9492ba756cbf83066.JPGInterior came out nice with all the  carbon fibre. Seatbelt material came with the upgrade kit and was made out of nylon. Getting glues to stick to it was problematic. 

DSC07303.JPG.5d410409215808f66efe5b58d452b60e.JPG

This is an interesting detail.  The tiny red painted photo etch piece at the top of the picture is the exterior release for the fire extinguisher. It was very tiny and fragile as well as being a two piece affair. 

DSC07311.JPG.8f779149a353bc7f094859d5d70d92f1.JPG

Model finished and on its wheels. Before the upper body was installed it had that typical one wheel in the air stance. I thought I was going to have to do some fancy suspension bending to fix it but the upper body had enough force to straighten it out.....whew!

DSC07312.JPG.c269a667b0ff64ce5690a4051d73a8f3.JPGRear end  veiw. That wing was several pieces and many more decals. Luckily it had a nice mounting and was easy to install. Note the p/e adjusters on the endplate. A nice touch from the update kit.

DSC07313.JPG.35c42f28b2d0c02b95849adcd36bc20b.JPG

Side view. I chose to use all the decals for the graphics. Best part of this kit were the decals. They slid off the paper easily, responded to solvent well and laid down nice. I normally paint these because large areas of decal tend to have wrinkles in them. There are a few but a nice coat of future will hide them when they are fully cured. 

DSC07314.JPG.b433b93f8c6f113c0b747bd0c9e17029.JPG

Front veiw of the car that most of the competitors didn't get to see. This car, with its unique front wing design, and very powerful BMW engine took Nelson Piquet to the 1983 world  championship. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:49 AM, bbowser said:

Beautiful work, your persistence paid off with an awesome replica!

Thank you Bruce, persistence is an old friend of mine. 

22 hours ago, TonyK said:

Your finished model is excellent! Enjoyed reading about the details in your pictures. Love the Brabhams.

Thank you Tony. I wish more people would do that. Its called "sharing" and it gives incentive to others to build more. I enjoy sharing as much as I do building. 

9 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great build Rich, I do like the 1/20th scale F1's but really don't need another scale to build.

Dave...a long time ago there was not much in F-1 to build so I grabbed everything in any scale of F-1 and built it.  Many years past and 73 projects finished  in 1/20 and I am kinda stuck. If you like F-1 then this scale has the most to offer. 

Dave B

9 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Very nice work!!! Brabham was a favorite. I have a high end 1/20 BT-44 I need to build. 

Thanks Dave....would luv to see that one done...who's kit is it. 

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Outstanding!

Thank you Carl...in military terms  "outstanding" is the highest form of praise. 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:16 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice model, Rich - what a sleek machine compared to those ugly racers of today (hard to believe that this is almost 40 years old...)

Thank you Helmut....I have this model in my case next to one of the more modern cars....it is considerably smaller with a much shorter wheelbase. 

16 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

This is definitely a nicely turned out example of one of the most daring looking cars to win the World Championship. 

Thanks Justin......this car was built just after they changed from skirted cars. Brabham had already built a car for 1983 (the BT51) but then had to start all over again with just 6 weeks notice. Amazingly they came up with a winner right out of the box. 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:22 AM, Dave Van said:

Very nice work!!! Brabham was a favorite. I have a high end 1/20 BT-44 I need to build. 

Thanks Dave....would luv to see that one done...who's kit is it. 

The kit is a multi media BT$$B by ACE Models #20030. After I dug it out I want to build!!!! 

22 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Now you have gone and done it again haven't you Rich.  Built an outstanding model plus shared the background and your techniques.  

Thanks Gary, you were the one who encouraged me to do that.  I see lots of really great models on here but am often left wondering, what scale is it, what paint did they use or what problems they encountered. This site is about sharing but not everybody does. 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, Roger U said:

A very nice, well detailed build

Thank you for the compliment

On 7/24/2021 at 7:32 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Larry

2 hours ago, Codi said:

I always admired that car Rich and another nice build you've shared.  That was quite the interesting period in F1.  cheers, tim

Thanks Tim, took a look at your Fotki. Not a big drag racing fan but that Bantam of yours takes detailing and scratchbuilding to a whole other level. I know others who do work like that and have nothing but great admiration for them. Someday I will get there. 

• 3 weeks later...