Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a neat little 3D printed kit by C1 Models with lots of little parts plus some photo-etch .  I've never built anything like this before and found out immediately just how fragile these parts are . . . my very first "snip" to remove the excess plastic resulted in a broken top bar on the frame !  It was easily repaired and a lesson was learned .  Here's what you get in the kit .

file-vi.jpg

The only thing I added was a small block to insert the cables from the handle bars and from the frame , so it could be displayed without the VW fender . Here's more finished photos , thanks for looking !

Edited by TooOld

12 hours ago, cobraman said:

That thing is cute as heck !  You did a very nice job on it. I'd kind of like to do one but I don't think my old eyes would allow it.

Thanks much Ray !  Very strong reading glasses and a magnifying lamp are a must !

That thing is cute!

As far as 3D printing goes, I suspect that the masters were 3D printed, but judging by the pour stubs, those parts are standard urethane resin castings (form the molds made from the 3D masters).

3D printing is time-consuming, and casting resin parts is much faster and cheaper.  A lot of small companies make molds of 3D masters, then resin-cast the kits.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:14 AM, peteski said:

That thing is cute!

As far as 3D printing goes, I suspect that the masters were 3D printed, but judging by the pour stubs, those parts are standard urethane resin castings (form the molds made from the 3D masters).

3D printing is time-consuming, and casting resin parts is much faster and cheaper.  A lot of small companies make molds of 3D masters, then resin-cast the kits.

Thanks Peter !  And yes you are correct .  C1 Models uses 3D printing to create it's masters and then resin casts the actual kits .

On 7/18/2021 at 6:11 AM, TooOld said:

Thanks much Ray !  Very strong reading glasses and a magnifying lamp are a must !

Yeah, but what do you have for a bit of old age shake?  

Sweet little scooter. Imagination in modeling is a great thing.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:30 AM, TarheelRick said:

Yeah, but what do you have for a bit of old age shake?  

Sweet little scooter. Imagination in modeling is a great thing.

I hear you Ricky .  I manage by always resting my hand something while working , sometimes I even hold it with my free hand to keep it steady .